Clean(ish) high calorie meals?

Options
Hey all,

Looking to do a bulk over winter. Can anyone recommend cleanish meals that are high calorie but not explosive amount of fats?

ta
-Adam

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with high fat?
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Rice and beans with a peanut flour/soy sauce dressing and wilted leafy greens
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Looking to do a bulk over winter. Can anyone recommend cleanish meals that are high calorie but not explosive amount of fats?

ta
    -Adam

how many cals and how much fat do you have to work with?
  • liamormsby
    Options
    Add me on mfp, username: LiamOrmsby

I'm trying to bulk up and target calories is 3000 with burning over 1000 with exercise.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Not all fat is bad. Avocados for example are extremely calorie dense, and loaded with the groovy monounsaturated fats that all growing boys crave. :D

Also, consider lots of peanut butter. Extremely calorie dense, also a great protein source. Nuts in general are pretty calorie rich.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I like to eat home made pastas and pizzas if I'm really looking for intense high calorie meals.. A pizza with whatever toppings to assist in meeting macro goals.. I firstly ensure I've met my dietary fiber requirements first though :)
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me a simple high calorie main meal consists of protein (steak/fish/pork etc.) plus either (depending on the weather) a) salad with balsamic dressing and full fat feta plus flavored rice / cous cous / quinoa OR b) roasted vegetables with paprika, garlic and rosemary (think pumpkin, sweet potato, potato etc) and corn on the cob.. If I have a tonne of calories I eat 'fancy' breads with my meals..

I have started drinking some calories as an "entree" to a main meal; soups like laska's (regular not the diet variety) can be high in calories. I have also been known to eat ALOT of pasta..... Lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli etc are all good options for hitting macro goals if you know how to cook/read the back of a container :)

Quick fixes for lunches or when I am time poor include things like; Wokka noodles/pre-cooked flavored rice / quinoa / cous cous with a drizzle of flavored olive oil, cottage cheese/Parmesan and a tin of tuna or precooked chicken/steak etc.. Stuff like this works hot or cold if you don't have access to a microwave...

Staple foods include; eggs, bread, avocado, beans, tinned tuna, chicken, rice, quinoa, cous cous, pasta, bacon, mince, steak, fish/salmon, nuts by the fistful, ice-cream and chocolate.... You said cleanish right ;)

This site has recipes and nutritional breakdown that may be helpful;
    http://www.taste.com.au/zone/healthy+recipes,4
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Ta
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    My favorite is my typical breakfast, i simply make an egg sandwich, which consists of:

- 4 whole large or jumbo eggs ( or you can use eggwhites but thats less calories)
    - 2 pieces of whole wheat bread ( I used bread that had 7g of protein each)
    - And a piece of cheese, i prefer pepperjack ;)
    - Optional: you can put ham in the eggs, sausage, or even bacon, for that little extra protein / taste

That accumulates anywhere from 40-60g of protein and upwards of 550+ calories depending how much ingredients you use, and which brands of the food you buy.