Need some exercise advice !!

Options
Okay so due to a condition that makes my legs swell up and basically make exercise painful at the moment I can't use my legs to do any exercise and I'm really worried about weight gain as so far I have made bad choices etc but I've changed food etc and am ready to give myself 100% to dieting...are there any good exercises I can do whilst sitting down ,my weight is all around my waist !!

Any ideas will be extremely helpful !

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required for weight loss...only a deficet is. That comes from food typically.

As for exercises that don't use legs most of them will use weights...or core workouts...
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The only way to spot reduce is lipo suction. Losing weight in a healthy manner will cause it to come off in reverse order of accumulation. Sadly for most of us the belly is the first place we gain so it is inversely the last place we lose from.

As to exercises I repeat what the other guy said. You can not outrun a bad diet. Too much sugar or refined carbohydrate will sabotage you at every turn. Be it caloricly, hormonaly, or just plain nutritionally. Get you consumption of nutrients where it needs to be and your body will do the rest.

Exercise is for condition. If you insist on working out though you can do non load bearing exercises. Anything in the pool should be good. There are both cardio and resistance exercises you can perform in water that are significantly less of an impact than the same would be on dry land.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Try lots of things you think might work and discard everything that doesn't.

You can sit down and throw punches, do upper body weight-lifting exercises etc. Perhaps the nature of your condition might allow you to swim.

Good luck whatever you do.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeZZbpi8Ow

look into chair cardio or even water walking... if you are able to move your legs at all
  • sophiemarie987
    sophiemarie987 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do try and eat as well as I can I've stopped kidding myself that I can lose weight and just eat junk.

I'm on a calorie control diet and slimming world :)

If I had enough money liposuction would be my first option but it is not sadly
  • sophiemarie987
    Options
    Sitting down and throwing punches sounds like a good idea. Many people have told me sit ups but I've had so many mixed opinions about them I used to do them when I was slimmer and they helped but I'm just not sure!
  • bethcondon
    bethcondon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any water exercise will be very low impact and your body will be supported. If you have trouble moving your legs, you could just do swimming (arms only) or treading water with your arms only. Use floats between your legs to support your body.

If it's the impact that bothers your legs, try an exercise bike on a low setting. My grandmother used to use an exercise bike, so I think almost anyone could! Getting your legs moving might actually help with the swelling because it could be a circulation problem.

Another idea is yoga. Check out videos online - yes, your legs would be involved in some way, but it's not the same as pounding them on the pavement. Sun salutations can get your heartrate up, or try holding warrior poses for longer & longer periods.

Good luck!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sitting down and throwing punches sounds like a good idea. Many people have told me sit ups but I've had so many mixed opinions about them I used to do them when I was slimmer and they helped but I'm just not sure!

Do them if you enjoy them but honestly they will make very little difference. If it is the impact which aggravates your legs then cycling might be okay, if not then some gyms have a hand cycle and lots of upper body machines which would help.

If you cannot access a gym I would look at buying a few weights and doing lots of upper body exercises with little in the way of breaks.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There is a whole series designed for people with mobility issues called Sit and Be FIt:

http://www.sitandbefit.org/
  • sophiemarie987
    Options
    Swimming is one thing I have been looking into but it's getting there that I'm trying to figure out there are two near me 3miles either side of my town but there is no bus to get directly there! Very annoying

I was doing stationary cycling when I used to be able to go to gym and that did make it flare up sadly. It is something to do with my circulation but I am not entirely sure what so up I guess sometimes I just have to try different exercise and see what makes it flare up and what doesn't.

Yes weights are another option I did used to have 2 x 2kg weights but I doubt that weight will help at all so I may look into some heavier ones all I have at mo is soup cans as weight haha !

Thanks rebalee8 I will look at that
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do try and eat as well as I can I've stopped kidding myself that I can lose weight and just eat junk.

I'm on a calorie control diet and slimming world :)

If I had enough money liposuction would be my first option but it is not sadly

You lose weight by being in a calorie deficet period..doesn't matter what you eat it matters how much you eat.
  • sophiemarie987
    Options
    I try and keep my calories to 1300 1500 max