Tinned foods serving(s) confusion

Options
Hondo_Man
Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologise, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Wrong key words perhaps.

Right then, I am having tinned fish (doesn't really matter), but the container indicates the nutrition data for 100gr. The fish and oil together are 200gr, but the fish alone is 120gr. I've encountered this over the years and have often wondered how much I am eating. Tinned fruits, veg, meats, etc.

So, is the 100gr Nutrition data for the fish and oil, just the fish? When I eat the entire tin, then I double the data. But what if I drain the oil; what then? If I only eat the fish, is the data then 1.20x the data? The package does not indicate the number of servings.

If anyone is interested, I am referring to Fontaine Zarte Makrelenfilets in Bio Olivenöl.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and insights!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered that too. I always dump the liquid and just weigh what I'm eating, but it's probably not correct.
  • Hoop4la
    Hoop4la Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    can anyone add any more to this ?

I had a tin of pricess fruit cocktail - I dumped the juice
    carlies epr 100g = 43
    net weight 247g - = 106 claories
    calories for the tin 415g = 178

I have always used the 106 calories but now I wonder !

WHat do others do ?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I believe the nutritional info is for the drained portion when it comes to tinned fish, at least every can I buy says that. I cant imagine actually eating it oil and all!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I believe it's drained too. At least that's what my tuna fish cans say. But yes, it would be 1.2 since the serving is 100g but you are actually getting 120.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get a set of scales?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my tinned fish (crab, salmon, tuna) all have their nutrional value as drained weight...mind you 120g of crab has drained weight of 100g...it never is...it's usually about 70-79...depending on how hard I squeeze the cover...
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Weigh with oil and check weight against servings per container. If they are equal than it is with oil if not drain and check drained weight against servings per container.