Can I lose 80 pounds in a year?

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm 6"0, I was 214,6lbs of fat, I lost around 40 pounds with very little exercise in around 4 months and I feel alot better, stronger and feel alot more energy so I'm sure that 80lbs in a year is possible. Also i'm 175lbs and losing weight just as fast as I did when I was in my first month its all about the caloric deficit, calories in and calories out whether it happens from less food or exercise it doesn't matter when you re just trying to look and fell better

Actually, resistance training to preserve muscle is critical to looking better.
  • JonathanJ1996
    JonathanJ1996 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I kept the amount of protein grams high everyday so with all the body fat I have on me, my body just wont burn my muscles(which is mostly protein) for energy, I swear to god I lost close to no lean body mass, I'm able to do more push ups, jog for longer period of time with very little exercise, Im not saying that people shouldn't exercise Im just saying that its not as necessary as everyone says and thinks it is, and logically it is possible maintain muscle mass without exercise when losing weight (unless you re a bodybuilder). Btw its not that hard to lose weight you can def lose 80lbs in a year.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    No. I'm sorry. It's the first 10% of body weight. So, 200 to 180.

That works for me! I am going to try to get my collie's Rally Novice title on Memorial Day weekend, so I think I could be closing in on 20 pounds by then, if all things remain equal. Wouldn't it be nice to look nice for that weekend with a couple of new pairs of pants to go in the ring with her? :) Even better, going out and practicing with her a bit more to have a better shot at the title will help me get more cardio, which will help me toward that goal.
    Actually, resistance training to preserve muscle is critical to looking better.

I'm not interested in bulking up, but can you recommend some kind of training that will keep loose skin to a minimum? My arms are pretty firm right now and I'd kind of like to keep them that way. Right now I'm doing a little light stretching with exercises for my core since I'm a train wreck around my middle. LOL
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    As a woman you will have a hard time 'bulking up'. Weight training will however help you keep your lean mass, so more of the weight you lose will be fat. This link explains it better than I could:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The three main lifting programs I see recommended are starting strength, strong lifts and New rules of lifting for women. Someone else may have recommendations that aren't heavy lifting programs.

And here is a link with pictures of women who lift. One of the many you can find on MFP.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120789-females-only-lifting-weight-training-results
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Thanks, Kitlynn. As I said, I'm really *not* interested in gaining any bulk, so it's good to know that it would be difficult to do so. I'm really not interested in wading through that thread, though. I started to do so once, but I'm not interested in infighting or "sexy" anything. I'd rather not start an actual weight lifting program, since it does not appeal to me and I know I would not keep with it. I'm just looking for a few resistance exercises to keep my arms and maybe my legs from imploding. I should have mentioned before that I am very careful with my knees, since I damaged them badly when I was a teen and my right one still tends to click on me on occasion.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kitlynn. As I said, I'm really *not* interested in gaining any bulk, so it's good to know that it would be difficult to do so. I'm really not interested in wading through that thread, though. I started to do so once, but I'm not interested in infighting or "sexy" anything. I'd rather not start an actual weight lifting program, since it does not appeal to me and I know I would not keep with it. I'm just looking for a few resistance exercises to keep my arms and maybe my legs from imploding. I should have mentioned before that I am very careful with my knees, since I damaged them badly when I was a teen and my right one still tends to click on me on occasion.

I'd suggest either bodyweight (Body by You) or a compound lifting program (New Rules of Lifting or Starting Strength). Any program can be modified for knee issues.

It's not just difficult to gain bulk - its damn hard. I've been trying to for 12 weeks and may, at the end up it if I'm very lucky, gain 6 pounds of lean weight (out of the 12 pounds I've gained) across my entire body.

Anything you do as you lose weight isn't going to add any mass to talk about. It just protects the muscle you have, which protects your metabolism and helps you stay active.

ETA - you mentioned needing to work on your core - the compound lifts were where I noticed the fastest gains there, but I've also been helped a lot by Pilates. Consistency trumps everything else, so find something you enjoy.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

I'd suggest either bodyweight (Body by You) or a compound lifting program (New Rules of Lifting or Starting Strength). Any program can be modified for knee issues.

It's not just difficult to gain bulk - its damn hard. I've been trying to for 12 weeks and may, at the end up it if I'm very lucky, gain 6 pounds of lean weight (out of the 12 pounds I've gained) across my entire body.

Anything you do as you lose weight isn't going to add any mass to talk about. It just protects the muscle you have, which protects your metabolism and helps you stay active.

ETA - you mentioned needing to work on your core - the compound lifts were where I noticed the fastest gains there, but I've also been helped a lot by Pilates. Consistency trumps everything else, so find something you enjoy.

Thanks so much for all of this information. I'm starting to look into Pilates now--thank you for reminding me it was out there! I know me . . . right now weights don't appeal, but they might after I've re-educated myself in terms of exercise and fitness. It's just a matter of my brain catching up to my need. At the moment I'm happy learning about tracking my food, incorporating and adapting my current food likes for a new lifestyle, and incorporating familiar and (for me) enjoyable activities into daily routines. I can add the new stuff as I go along and maybe weights will eventually be part of that.

In any case, right now I'm so unfit that weights would just discourage me and I'd stop using them (and maybe stop exercising altogether). Do you have any suggestions for building the muscles I'd need for a lifting program? Would adding one-pound weights help me get a start? (Yes, I'm that unfit that I'd notice them).