Protein shakes

Options
Hi guys, wasn't sure where to post this!
I currently weigh 10st 5lbs and want to know more about protein shakes. I'd ideally like to tone up my legs, tummy, arms, bum, back..
Will protein shakes give me more energy in the gym? Should I be replacing them with breakfast?
I know people use them to bulk up but im a bit lost with it all!

Thanks in advance :)
xx

Replies

• lewisdeanhughes
    lewisdeanhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    People use them as meal replacements, and if they're finding it hard to hit their protein requirement for the day from food. Sometimes its hard to hit 200g+ (for a male everyday) with work etc etc.

If you're getting a good amount of protein each day from food you won't exactly "need" them.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I have a protein shake in the morning as I work out first thing. I use them because it allows me to work out without a completely empty stomach but also without feeling all full and bloated after a 'normal' breakfast. Protein shakes wont make you 'toned' or big. You need to do some weights to tone up. Protein shakes assist in repair of muscle growth of new muscle. To be honest you could achieve your protein intake from a natural source like egg whites, fish, lean meat etc. You probably know all this already tho.
  • smacksakes
    Options
    It may help to know that there's nothing 'magical' about protein shakes and they tend to be over emphasised in the nutrition industry.

Protein = protein, ingesting it in a shake form is just more convenient than serving up chicken breasts before hitting gym or before going to bed.

With regards to toning, the best you can do is probably to keep up with exercise and avoid all wheat-based food.
  • lewisdeanhughes
    Options
    "and avoid all wheat-based food"

looool
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    Thanks guys. I tend to get up early before work to go to the gym and often have breakfast after I come back, however I feel so tired and lack energy when im up at that time and haven't eaten anything. Think il give them a go for the early morning sessions!
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm cutting fat atm and have 4 meals and 4 shakes a day
  • pwrdbytrd
    Options
    not to hijack the thread, but why avoid the wheat?
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wasn't hitting my protein, ever.
    I swapped out my breakfast for protein powder pancake. My breakfast is now yummy and I get enough protein.
    I also count every calorie and hit the gym as often as I can.

Also yeah, wheat? What's wrong with wheat?
  • lewisdeanhughes
    Options
    Also in terms of energy for the gym, either drink black coffee or take a caffeine pill!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    It may help to know that there's nothing 'magical' about protein shakes and they tend to be over emphasised in the nutrition industry.

Protein = protein, ingesting it in a shake form is just more convenient than serving up chicken breasts before hitting gym or before going to bed.

With regards to toning, the best you can do is probably to keep up with exercise and avoid all wheat-based food.

Why avoid all wheat-based food??
    No need to avoid any food, unless you have a medical reason!
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Protein can be a wonderful thing. Finding the brand/flavor that YOU like can be difficult. I went through a bunch of brands before landing on the one I prefer (ON Gold Standard).

I sometimes use protein as part of my breakfast, alongside some fruit, english muffin, etc. More often, I use it after a good workout for recovery. After pulling and tearing muscle tissue during a workout, protein is an excellent way to help "repair" that damage.

Prior to a workout, I opt for a pre-workout. Gives me a boost of energy to get through my cardio and weight training.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also in terms of energy for the gym, either drink black coffee or take a caffeine pill!
    Someone suggested i take caffine pills instead of my coffee, like just to miss out on the liquid happiness sensation or what? :laugh:
  • lewisdeanhughes
    Options
    just personal preference and i cant stand black coffee! :P
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    For the gym I like 1 scoop (half a serving of isopure). It has potassium, sodium and no carbs. It is whey protein--25 grams in one scoop. I mix it with 32 oz of water and go!

I have others I like depending on why I using them. For just convenience I love chocolate (BSN), and for smoothies I love manitoba harvest. Also have an egg white protein I like to add to things like pancakes and other baked things.