Anyone tried the Ideal Protein Diet?

Options
Hello thinking of trying an ideal protein type diet. Anyone try it if so how did it work for you? Maintance phase did you gain back?

Replies

• emmasmommy1
    Options
    I was on this diet for like 4 weeks and didn't hardly lose a thing! But..I didn't know until after researching that the number 2 rule is you cannot work out with this diet. Its too low in calories. I had been working out the whole time! Just google Ideal Protein diet protocol..it has several pages of good info! Good luck :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    This is a restrictive, low carb diet with no inherent advantages over a traditional calorie deficit. It even restricts what type of protein you can eat which is ridiculous. Stick to a traditional diet that has you counting calories and macros.
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I liked it, simply because I do better when I have set weigh-ins, and someone looking in on me. I went from 169 to 152 lbs in a month, and I've maintained since the end of February. I also liked it because they have phases after your initial weight loss that help you ease back into eating well, and a free maintenance phase. I would give it a try if you dont have that much to lose (around 20 or less). I dont think its good longer than that.
  • blmcnty
    blmcnty Posts: 1
    Options
    I started the diet last fall and followed it up to Christmas. During the holidays and since the first of the year, I went off diet and haven't fully gotten back on - although I plan to soon ... money became an issue for a bit. In the last 4 months since I haven't been officially on the diet, I've still been making the "smarter" food choices and following my new habits I learned when I started the diet. I have not gained a *single* pound. It's taken this diet to finally get the idea of balance into my head, in a manner that I could comprehend. I've eaten plenty of what are considered forbidden foods in the last 4 months, but not all in the same day, or sometimes even in the same week. So I would say Maintenance works, because my new habits stuck, and I have not gained any weight at all.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    This is a restrictive, low carb diet with no inherent advantages over a traditional calorie deficit. It even restricts what type of protein you can eat which is ridiculous. Stick to a traditional diet that has you counting calories and macros.

ETA: ^ Agreed

My mom has done this diet and did lose a fair bit of weight. But guess what - she gained it all back once she stopped. I personally don't agree with diets like this. Any diet that tells a person they can't exercise because it's so low calorie cannot be healthy! Plus I hate hearing her say "I'm not allowed to have potatoes" :angry:

My advice is to lose weight on your own. Cut back on carbs and eat more veggies - that's basically what Ideal Protein is, but you can eat a healthy amount of calories and save yourself a bunch of money by doing it yourself!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

So no fries with my BBQ? *kicks rock*
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I've known people who tried the diet... they said they lost weight on it, but I'm not sure if they gained it back or not.
    I just know they were really limited and couldn't eat much, I wouldn't want to try that diet. I like calorie counting better.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    A girl I worked with is on Ideal Protein and she lost a lot of weight... this is also her 3rd fad diet (the first two were also successful until she ate normally and gained all 100 lbs back). Not only does it restrict foods, there are certain gum and cough candies she is NOT allowed to have due to the type of sugar in them.

It would be nice if you could just buy the snacks and not the whole "diet" (as I work out twice a day and would need to eat twice the amount they set for other people)
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ideal Protein is the best eating plan that I have ever tried. I started in February and by the beginning of April was down 20 pounds. I went to Cuba for two weeks, plus I was off plan for another two weeks dues to an illness in my family and me being sick. In the 4 weeks I was off plan, I only gained one pound and I am sure thats because I have just learned new ways of eating. I feel so much better about myself and feel good when I eat according to this plan. I am starting back today and am excited to lose the last 8 or 9 pounds. I exercise on this plan but keep it low impact. I will say that this plan isnt for everyone but it absolutely works for me!