I'm Tired of Talking About It

Options
Hello! I have done this so many times...I get super excited about a decision I made only to last a couple weeks (max) and then fall back into old ways. Sound familiar? If so, I am thinking about documenting my days on my FB page and/or MFP blog. Would you be interested in following me? I have a VERY lofty goal of losing 130 lbs by next April. I am scared, doubtful, excited, and hopeful! Think you'd like to be my cheerleader?...Supporter? I might need a few! :)

If you're reading this and you've already been where I am, PLEASE leave a message and tell me how you got past your feelings of doubt and fear!!! I know everyone is different but I would LOVE to read how you did it!

Thanks for reading...And I hope to hear from you!!!

Replies

• amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Melissa - I'm right there with you. I get these "spurts" where I am super motivated... eating right, exercising every day, and losing weight.... then something bad happens in my life and I think "what's the point of it all"? It seems like my health is the least of my worries and I begin to gain the weight back. I did really well, last year. I lost about 55lbs and was feeling great! Then my daughter got into some trouble. It's amazing how fast you can gain all that weight back when you have spent a year trying to get it off! So now I am trying to get it off again. Starting from scratch. I need motivation again. It's really hard to stay motivated when life is going on: Moving, bankrupcy, husband out of work, daughter in rehab, and other life changing events. How does one focus on themselves with all this going on? I'm willing, I really am, just trying to stay focused is hard. I am constantly reminded of my weight when I can't fit into my clothes, my asthma gets bad, and I have no energy at all. I miss the way I felt and I am ready to get that back. My goal, by next April, is to lose 75lbs. Let's do this!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I trust that it works, and focus on actions not results.

I know that if I plan ahead to make sure everyday to have good food choices I will succeed.
    If the scale doesn't realize it right away I DO NOT let it bother me because I KNOW I am still doing the right thing and weight loss will happen.

I know that if I make a mistake, I now have the mental capacity to quickly review what happened and how I can solve it. If it's emotional eating, sometimes taking a deep breath really helps. Sometimes venting does the trick, but main point- identify these moments and learn how to deal with them quickly so they don't get worse.

I didn't lost a ton BTW just 25 lbs all together but I struggled with eating all my life and finally got it together. I also helped my DH lose over 80lbs by making this journey as easy and liveable as possible.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm the type that always needs a goal out in front of them...like dangling a carrot in front of a horse. A 5k? Tough Mudder? Hiking trip? Vacation?
    Give yourself short term goals along the way. It really helps.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It helps to take every single win as a huge victory. Lost a third of an inch on the tape measure? MASSIVE VICTORY! Stayed within your calorie goals for a whole week? MASSIVE VICTORY! Managed to walk for 45 minutes today instead of 40? HUGE MASSIVE VICTORY.

Start measuring your success on many different scales, not just the bathroom one. You'll see all these victories everywhere and whenever you think about giving up, you can look at all these achievements and think about how much you want to keep them. Your body is capable of amazing things.
    Be honest with yourself but be forgiving. Love yourself but don't coddle yourself. Losing weight and changing your life is a difficult thing and you need to realise it's going to be work.

But you will start to love your body, love what it can do (especially if you take up a new form of exercise... dance, martial arts, running, weight lifting) and you will never EVER go back. Or at least I never want to go back to me 70lbs and two years ago.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think alot of us have been in teh same spot! I get super excited, plan out what I need to do, and then continue on as normal without actually putting the required changes in place. It seems that as soon as I fall off the wagon, its very difficult for me to get back on, no matter how bad I want it!

After finding MFP, I feel I have the motivation I need to keep going, am getting better at meal planning and working out, and take it one day at a time. I need to make some goals both long term and short term, and also make some rewards for when I acheive those goals!
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can do this! If you have any fitness questions feel free to ask me. I'd be happy to help any way I can.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of advice. Here's mine:

1. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    2. Get a food scale. Here's why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    3. Be patient, peservere, and stick with your plan. If after a month you haven't made progress, re-evaluate.
    4. Get some MFP peeps. The process is easier with friends and support.
    5. Visualize yourself healthier and fitter and remind yourself frequently what your motivations are.
    6. Start developing a plan for maintainance now so the weight you lose is permanent. Here's my plan: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/what-s-your-maintenance-plan-624676
    7. Realize that motivation will wane and isn't required to be successful. Repeating #3 will get you to your goal.
    8. My favorite MFP quote: "You can have excuses or results, but not both"

Best Wishes!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of advice. Here's mine:

1. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    2. Get a food scale. Here's why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    3. Be patient, peservere, and stick with your plan. If after a month you haven't made progress, re-evaluate.
    4. Get some MFP peeps. The process is easier with friends and support.
    5. Visualize yourself healthier and fitter and remind yourself frequently what your motivations are.
    6. Start developing a plan for maintainance now so the weight you lose is permanent. Here's my plan: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/what-s-your-maintenance-plan-624676
    7. Realize that motivation will wane and isn't required to be successful. Repeating #3 will get you to your goal.
    8. My favorite MFP quote: "You can have excuses or results, but not both"

Best Wishes!

This is all great, I should have posted the sexypants link, too.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm the type that always needs a goal out in front of them...like dangling a carrot in front of a horse. A 5k? Tough Mudder? Hiking trip? Vacation?
    Give yourself short term goals along the way. It really helps.

Agreed. I have something like 10 short term goals. Big numbers can be daunting and weight loss is slow (when done properly). Give yourself other signs of achievement, like measuring inches, stamina goals (running for 2 minutes straight, then 3, then 4), weight lifting goals, etc. There are a lot of fun challenge groups on MFP as well. I'm a member of an April Challenge group in which people picked how many miles they wanted to walk/run or hours they wanted to work out in April.