'Best' alcoholic drink?

Options
Katleskin
Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
OK, so I realise that alcohol doesn't really have any place in a 'clean' diet BUT I'm wondering what the least bad alcoholic drink is. I don't drink very often at all (last drink was probably at Christmas) and when I do I don't get drunk (last time I was even slightly tipsy was probably early last year). However, I'm meeting a friend tomorrow and we're hitting the pub for a catch-up. I don't want to get hammered but I don't want to sit there nursing a fizzy water while she necks pints of cider (that I would LOVE to drink - mmmm Woodpecker! - but we all know how bad cider is). I'm thinking Rosé Spritzer or Vodka, Lime & Soda. Can anyone suggest any even lower calorie tipples?

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I read something recently (Huffington Post?) that answered this very question - apparently champagne or other sparkling wine. It's relatively low in calories and you don't have to drink a pint of it at a time to be sociable. There's also the Lady Penelope factor, which I have to admit appeals to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    bourbon on the rocks...
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    *I* don't know how bad cider is -- in fact, cider sounds darn good.

But if all you're really after is lower calorie drinks, then liquor is your answer. Vodka, whiskey, gin, tequila - etc. Straight or with a low or no-cal mixer. I often sip straight tequila, and intersperse pints of water between drinks. Lately I've been enjoying the Sweet Tequini -- 2.5 oz tequila, 0.5 oz sweet vermouth, dash of bitters and a lemon twist served up in a martini glass -- it's like a sweet martini made with tequila as the base.

Given how little you drink, you probably should just have whatever you prefer, enjoy sipping on it slowly, have a glass of water after, and if you're really up for it, maybe have another. For a non-drinker who hasn't had a drink since Christmas, it's not like you're going to be throwing back a dozen pints in any event.

Have fun!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Meh, vodka water with lots of lime if you wanna be clean, but personally I just decide when I'm gonna go out beforehand and work it into my calories for the day. Mojitos > blah vodka water! :drinker:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for the highest alcohol content for the lowest amount of calories, then some hard alcohol on the rocks or straight up is your best bet. If you're just looking for a drink to sip on to be social but aren't trying to get drunk or tipsy, then a light beer might be the way to go.
  • sophieR1693
    sophieR1693 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gin and Tonic...if you get diet tonic you're only looking at about 35 calories a glass! :)
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
  • kikif617
    kikif617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is appletini's, but I don't drink those unless there is an occassion for it. I drink 55 calorie beer only, and I drink wine, but my drinking is like one drink a week.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love vodka cranberry (diet cranberry is great) I often run into this delima most every weekend......drink or not to drink.... do it :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with booze?? this guys doesn't think it's so bad... http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

and as far as the "best" one, well, it's really up to you. i mean, big sugary drinks aren't so great, but a glass of red wine, or a bourbon, or a full bodied beer actually have a lot of health benefits. just drink a bit less of them.
  • BarbaraJoScott
    BarbaraJoScott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for wine (about 150 cal per glass) or rum and Diet Coke (about 55 cal per glass), unless they have low cal rum (Thanks, Malibu).
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Gosh, since you don't drink a lot, just go for a regular drink and log it. It's not like you're drinking a Guinness every day. Enjoy your drink dammit.

But if you must choose calorie counting, then I'd stay away from fruit juice drinks, unless its a very light Cosmopolitan.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    gin (or vodka) and grapefruit juice
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Gosh, since you don't drink a lot, just go for a regular drink and log it. It's not like you're drinking a Guinness every day. Enjoy your drink dammit.

But if you must choose calorie counting, then I'd stay away from fruit juice drinks, unless its a very light Cosmopolitan.

actually, guiness and dark beers have less calories than regular beers.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Red wine--has some actual health benefits to drinking it, but not your best choice for counting calories

Amstel Light--best tasting light beer, 85 cal/bottle but not the lowest available, just the best overall tasting light beer (unless you are used to drinking Bud :tongue: )

Guinness stout--best full-flavored beer, comes in at 150 calories and believe it or not, is lighter than you think (think black and tan--which rises to the top?)

Mixed drink--on the rocks or with diet something if you drink diet--lots of good suggestions here from previous posters.
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You can go with wine, champagne, or a drink that's straight alcohol.

Personally, I like Manhattans. They're pretty strong for me, but I like the quick buzz. :)
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Pick the drink you hate the most/the worst tasting drink.
    You'll end up drinking slower and less of it so calorie content won't even be an issue
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Guinness is actually one of the lighter full flavor beers. :)
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Scotch or bourbon.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    rum and diet coke with lime.

no hesitation.