No gym...

Options
I have no access to a gym. I've been doing this new lifestyle since Dec 4th. I'm extremely overweight and out of shape. I need exercise video ideas. I have the 30 day shred. And the biggest loser workout. I have p90x copied from a friend. And I think zumba. Also have netflix. I am clueless. I need shorter workouts as I'm a single mom of three. And ones that work but don't kill me. Lol! Ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Use the ones you have, do as much as you are comfortable doing, and quit. Your speed, your time. Just do ten or fifteen minutes at a time. The important thing is to move more than you have in the past. Take it slow, don't hurt yourself. As you do more, you'll naturally want to go longer and harder.

Just start. It doesn't matter if you can't keep up. You'll be proud. No one finishes like a Rock Star the first few times.

• cmriverside
    Options
    I'd start with the dance ones. Especially Zumba or hip hop abs or any dance videos on Netflix. The Shred and P90X may be a bit discouraging at first and the dance ones are just FUN! If you have kids they will love the music and be up dancing with you!!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    walk away the pounds is a great starter it like 9 00 dollars for the whole set at walmart! it has 1 mile walk and 2 and 3

xoxo,
    nikki
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a year and have NEVER had a gym membership. I have a "library" of workout DVD's, many of the same ones you have and use those or go for a brisk walk, plus I swim weekly during the "adult only lane swim" times at my local pool.

If you are short on time go out for a walk or do one of the DVD's that are only 20 minutes long (like 30 day shred). If you only do a 10 minute walk just get in 3 of them in a day for your total of 30 minutes.

You can do it with the resources you have, Im living proof!

PS - you will feel like some of the workouts "kill" you at first but it does not take much time until you realize you can keep up!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    for the first year of my weight loss journey I just did the 30 day shred and walked my dog. As I got further into it I got more into it! :)
    I joined the city fitness center in my town and added weights and started working out with my friend who runs the gym and helps train me :)

Just remember that you're worth the time and effort!
  • kitchuses
    Options
    leslie sansone have walk at home dvds. i love them. you can do one, two and three mile work outs. that depends on you because she stresses in videos that is your workout.
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you have On Demand or something similar to that with your cable sometimes in the On Demand section, you can find free work outs that are 5-30 minutes long.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Any of Jillian Michaels are good cause they are in circuits, don't feel like you have to do the whole thing, do one circuit at a time, and don't worry that you can't do them right, do the best you can!! If you don't know how to modify a move so you can do it, just ask... I am the QUEEN of modification!! LOL!! Message me anytime!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Hi, me again.....:blushing: I just remembered I used to check out exercise DVDs from the library, too. Look online for your local library and see what they have.

Also, YouTube has a lot of exercise videos.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Just do something you enjoy, whether it be getting up and dancing around the living room with your kids, taking them on a walk or whatever. Just find something you enjoy and experiment. You don't need to do an intense workout like P90x. Just be more active and be active in a way that you'll enjoy so you stick with it.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post about Leslie Sansone DVDs. I started at 325 lbs and could barely do the 1 mile walk I found for free on Exercise TV. If I'd tried to start with Jillian Michaels or something as extreme as P90X, I'd have given up the first day. It took me another month to even dare try Leslie's 2 mile walk. Take it slow to start or it will seem insurmountable and you'll give up.
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    I use netflix as well. These are some titles enjoy and are broken up in 10 minute sessions.

10 minute solution: target toning for beginners

10 minute solution: carb burner

dance off the inches: 15 minute express

10 minute solution: kickbox boot camp

each video is broken down into 4 or 5 -10 minute sessions. 10 minute solution: carb burner is 1 of my favorites.
    it consists of cardio, plyometrics, calisthenics and light weight training.

I hope this helps.
  • lblb104
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on Netflex. :-)
  • mommy2two07
    mommy2two07 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    All I can do are workouts at home. I am also a single mom. I use workout dvds and my stationary bike. Kinda worried though since I don't do any strength training programs. Wondering if I can just do the walking, biking and still get slim and look fit. Do I have to do the harder high impact stuff, or yoga/pilates, or weights eventually? That stuff is not stuff I enjoy.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm new too the boards and hate to jump in with advice but my daughter had lost a lot....at home. Her strength training WAS her son. He is now 18mos...and she lifts him up in the air and back down to the floor... he thinks it's a great game. She also lies down in the floor, puts her sock feet on his tummy and lifts with her legs....he thinks it's all playtime and she has developed some great muscle tone.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    On Netflix instant view there are a bunch of videos in the ten minute workout series- those are great to working with limited bursts of time to work out!

I have netflix and didn't know this! I'm so excited!!! Goodbye Cake Boss, hello workouts! :)
  • NikkiLynn76
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you!! Checking some of those on Netflix later tonight!!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    On Netflix instant view there are a bunch of videos in the ten minute workout series- those are great to working with limited bursts of time to work out!

I have netflix and didn't know this! I'm so excited!!! Goodbye Cake Boss, hello workouts! :)

How in the world can you watch that show when you're trying to eat healthy? Wow. You have way more willpower than I'll ever have.:laugh:
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    All I can do are workouts at home. I am also a single mom. I use workout dvds and my stationary bike. Kinda worried though since I don't do any strength training programs. Wondering if I can just do the walking, biking and still get slim and look fit. Do I have to do the harder high impact stuff, or yoga/pilates, or weights eventually? That stuff is not stuff I enjoy.

I actually love Pilates. It's a great way to get a full body stretch and tone muscles without getting that bulky look.

My body feels so rejuvenated afterwards. If you have netflix, there is a pilates pick your level one that is great and easy to follow.