2 weeks in China - a step backwards

Options
I was in China in the last two weeks. While I had a great time, my diet was all over the place. It was very difficult to count calories: different ingredients, different way of cooking and eating, and there was just simply too much food, all the time! I did my best to keep track of what I ate, knowing most of time that this was merely inaccurate estimate. I came back to the UK last Friday. Although I knew this was going to happen, it was still very disappointing to find out that I put on 3.3 lbs. in just 2 weeks. My waist has also increased by almost 2cm.

I feel demotivated because of the loss of my previous effort.

Replies

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The key thing is at least you were aware of what you were eating.

It's a process. Don't be put off - weight loss isn't always linear, just do your best from now. So you put on 3.3lb in two weeks...it's easily feasible to lose it in the same amount of time. Take the amount of time you're spending being concerned about it and put it into the gym instead.

A bit of extra work now that you're home will see you right.

(And the important thing is that you damn well enjoyed your time in China!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It is most likely that you have gained water weight. I just returned from a long weekend of RR...yesterday morning I was 186.3 Lbs....this morning I was 182.4 lbs...water.

I didn't generally lose while on vacation, but I never actually gained fat...in my experience, it was always water. To boot, 3 Lbs is well within the range of natural body weight fluctuations....you gain and lose roughly 5 Lbs of water day to day, not to mention varying degrees of waste in your system.

Personally I think you're just experiencing a little bloat and water gain.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It is most likely that you have gained water weight. I just returned from a long weekend of RR...yesterday morning I was 186.3 Lbs....this morning I was 182.4 lbs...water.

I didn't generally lose while on vacation, but I never actually gained fat...in my experience, it was always water. To boot, 3 Lbs is well within the range of natural body weight fluctuations....you gain and lose roughly 5 Lbs of water day to day, not to mention varying degrees of waste in your system.

This... I put on a few pounds every time I fly somewhere.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I lost so much when I was there. I'm glad you found good things to eat. I'm sure the pounds will come off quickly once you get back to your normal routine. You can do it!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. A trip to China is an amazing experience. Relish the memories and get back to work.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The mental block is always my biggest challenge when I have a setback. Be strong, don't just get back on the horse... HOP back on. You can do it :)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is very sodium heavy (I've lived in China and also now live in Japan) so you're probably retaining water. Drink water, get back on your logging and don't worry about such a minor weight fluctuation.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just back to good habits and you'll be back to where you were in no time. I've done yo yo weight gains so many times but I always found the sooner I worked on taking it off the easier it was. If I left the weight gain on for several weeks or months then it was just as hard to lose as the 1st time. But if I got after it quickly it went away quickly. Not sure if that will be the same for you but it's how it's worked for me. Good :Luck!
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. A trip to China is a trip you will never forget. Plus, You should know that Chinese food is often very salty, if you weren't packing away the water to make up for that then much of that 3.3lbs could simply be retained water from all the salt and will come off easily.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find that international air travel causes me serious bloat. The pressurized cabins and lack of movement for 17 hours from China does me in. Never mind the sleep deprivation and jet lag. Don't beat yourself up...just get back on wagon.

Also, I'm so jealous. I miss the food in China (most of it) and could totally go for some dumplings right now. YUM!
  • django_girl
    django_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, I should focus on the good time I had in China! Thanks.
  • django_girl
    Options
    That sounds reassuring. I should just get back to my routine.

• django_girl
    Options
    I will wait for a couple of days until the water goes out of my system.
  • django_girl
    Options
    I am Chinese so used to the food. Probably loved some of that too much:-)

Time to get back to the routine.
    Amazing. I lost so much when I was there. I'm glad you found good things to eat. I'm sure the pounds will come off quickly once you get back to your normal routine. You can do it!
  • django_girl
    Options
    Yes, I totally agree. Will try not to worry.
  • django_girl
    Options
    Yes, salty, spicy and oily - I used to be able to handle Sichuan food much better.
    Don't worry about it too much. A trip to China is a trip you will never forget. Plus, You should know that Chinese food is often very salty, if you weren't packing away the water to make up for that then much of that 3.3lbs could simply be retained water from all the salt and will come off easily.
  • django_girl
    Options
    I love dumplings! I make them myself once in a while.

But I cannot think of that right now. Have to get rid of the extra weight first.
    I find that international air travel causes me serious bloat. The pressurized cabins and lack of movement for 17 hours from China does me in. Never mind the sleep deprivation and jet lag. Don't beat yourself up...just get back on wagon.

Also, I'm so jealous. I miss the food in China (most of it) and could totally go for some dumplings right now. YUM!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I was in China in the last two weeks. While I had a great time, my diet was all over the place. It was very difficult to count calories: different ingredients, different way of cooking and eating, and there was just simply too much food, all the time! I did my best to keep track of what I ate, knowing most of time that this was merely inaccurate estimate. I came back to the UK last Friday. Although I knew this was going to happen, it was still very disappointing to find out that I put on 3.3 lbs. in just 2 weeks. My waist has also increased by almost 2cm.

I feel demotivated because of the loss of my previous effort.

Really??! Get a grip. You went on vacation. You had a lovely time. You're back. Get back to eating healthy and working out and quit worrying about a few pounds on the scale that is most likely water weight.
  • django_girl
    Options
    Thanks. I put on weight quickly but losing it seems a much slower process.
  • django_girl
    Options
    Agreed. I think I am having one of those at the moment. Will try my best to start again.
    The mental block is always my biggest challenge when I have a setback. Be strong, don't just get back on the horse... HOP back on. You can do it :)