BMR or MFP? Conflicting numbers

Options
So, I've searched and this seems to be a common problem. MFP calculates 1200 calories for me...Scooby's Workshop (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) calculates my BMR at 1560 and my calorie intake with a 20% reduction is 1460. On IIFYM my BMR is 1471 and my calorie intake with 20% reduction is 1413. All this is with NO exercise. I've been exercising and when I plug that in then it increases my calories by about another 300-400 each day. So is MFP just wayyy off, should I go by one of these other websites?? Right now I've been using MFP and eating back half my calories for the most part....I haven't been losing really any weight though. Could I really be under-eating. I've been weighing my food with a kitchen scale and using measuring spoons too. Thoughts??

5'6"
Female
166lbs
sedentary until I started this now I work out about 5-6 days a week for at least 45 minutes average.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you 1200 it's probably because you put in a 2lb a week weight loss goal....

With Under 50lbs it should be set at 1lb a week for sufficent calories.

TDEE is used when you include your exercise ....NEAT is when you don't include exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    They are two different methods but they usually get to around the same number if you set them up equally.

MFP takes your information and calculates your assumed TDEE with no exercise included. It then takes your goal, which I assume is to lose 2 pounds per week (almost everyone chooses 2 pounds/week), and subtracts a certain number of calories to get you there (for 2 pounds per week it takes 1000 calories from your TDEE), keeping 1200 as the absolute minimum threshold.

The TDEE method that Scooby's uses takes a percentage from your TDEE instead of a set number of calories to keep you from losing weight too fast. In this case, you'd only be losing around a pound a week (maybe a little less). This is the biggest discrepancy between the two for you since you're setting both to sedentary.

With the MFP method you're meant to log your exercise and eat back the extra calories you earn. You should also be setting a reasonable goal (1 pound per week for most people).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So, I've searched and this seems to be a common problem. MFP calculates 1200 calories for me...Scooby's Workshop (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) calculates my BMR at 1560 and my calorie intake with a 20% reduction is 1460. On IIFYM my BMR is 1471 and my calorie intake with 20% reduction is 1413. All this is with NO exercise. I've been exercising and when I plug that in then it increases my calories by about another 300-400 each day. So is MFP just wayyy off, should I go by one of these other websites?? Right now I've been using MFP and eating back half my calories for the most part....I haven't been losing really any weight though. Could I really be under-eating. I've been weighing my food with a kitchen scale and using measuring spoons too. Thoughts??

5'6"
    Female
    166lbs
    sedentary until I started this now I work out about 5-6 days a week for at least 45 minutes average.

You're comparing apples to oranges...a 20% cut from TDEE is a slower rate of loss than the 2 Lbs per week goal rate you likely put in for MFP to arrive at 1200 calories. Also, with MFP you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back...with TDEE you're supposed to include an estimate of your exercise in your activity level...thus why it is referred to as Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

If you're doing it right and comparing apples to apples in terms of loss rate goals, the TDEE method and MFP are basically 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. Keep in mind that any calculator is going to be slightly different due to algorithms and what not used to account for various activity levels, etc...but differences shouldn't really be substantial if you're truly comparing apples to apples.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    If MFP gave you 1200 it's probably because you put in a 2lb a week weight loss goal....

TDEE is used when you include your exercise ....NEAT is when you don't include exercise.
    So you're saying if you put in a 2lb. weight loss it will automatically put you at a 1200 calorie limit? I did put in 2 lbs. but you would think it would still calculate it accurately.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

So you're saying if you put in a 2lb. weight loss it will automatically put you at a 1200 calorie limit? I did put in 2 lbs. but you would think it would still calculate it accurately.

1200 is the minimum MFP will give you...

MFPs calculations are only as good as the information entered in.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'6 woman I was 190 now about 155

I use mfp method with a 0.25kg/0.5lb per week loss target
    I set sendentary and log my workouts
    I mfp method target is 1520 net (eat back excercise)

so i think you've set an unreasonable weight loss goal for your size as at 5'6 166lb while you are in the "overweight" category for bmi you are only 11lb from the "normal/healthy" category

i've been gradually reducing my weighloss goal as i progressed accross the "overweight" segment of the graph
    when I was where you are now i set 0.5 to 1lb a week and worked out a 1200 minimum 1400 maximum NET range

hope these help you - shout if you want more info
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

If it showed you the true number it would be under 1200 calories because 2lb/week at your starting and goal weight is fairly hard to achieve.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    They are two different methods but they usually get to around the same number if you set them up equally.

MFP takes your information and calculates your assumed TDEE with no exercise included. It then takes your goal, which I assume is to lose 2 pounds per week (almost everyone chooses 2 pounds/week), and subtracts a certain number of calories to get you there (for 2 pounds per week it takes 1000 calories from your TDEE), keeping 1200 as the absolute minimum threshold.

The TDEE method that Scooby's uses takes a percentage from your TDEE instead of a set number of calories to keep you from losing weight too fast. In this case, you'd only be losing around a pound a week (maybe a little less). This is the biggest discrepancy between the two for you since you're setting both to sedentary.

With the MFP method you're meant to log your exercise and eat back the extra calories you earn. You should also be setting a reasonable goal (1 pound per week for most people).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Ah, ok...so this makes sense then! Still can't figure out why I'm not losing anything though. I've got to set up a dr appt. though....I think I may have a thyroid issue!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

2 Lbs per week loss rate is roughly 1,000 calorie deficit from your theoretical maintenance number. The average female maintains at around 1800 - 2000 calories with little in the way of deliberate exercise...1,200 calories is generally the minimum recommended calorie intake without supervision of a medical professional so MFP won't go below that.

Further, this illustrates just how substantial a 2 Lb per week loss rate really is...it is a huge calorie deficit and really should be reserved for those needing to lose a substantial amount of weight.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

It does do it's best to calculate it accurately, but 2 pounds per week is an aggressive goal that requires a large cut in calories and would take most people to unhealthy levels of eating. 1200 calories is the minimum that the system is allowed to recommend, so many people who set it to 2 pounds a week find themselves there simply because that's where the system stops. In actuality, to lose 2 pounds a week you'd end up closer to 800 calories, which is dangerous and shouldn't be attempted unless you're morbidly obese and under close doctors supervision.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Ah, ok...so this makes sense then! Still can't figure out why I'm not losing anything though. I've got to set up a dr appt. though....I think I may have a thyroid issue!

Are you logging everything you eat?
    Are you weighing everything you eat? I know you said you use a food scale, but are you using it for everything? Measuring cups/spoons should be used for liquids only. Everything else should go on the scale.
    How long has it been since you've seen a drop on the scale?
    When did you start your exercise program?
    Are you seeing no weight loss at all or just not as much as you'd like?
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    But what if my BMR is 1400 and I plug in to lose two lbs a week...that would take my caloric goal to 400 and if I exercise I can add in those calories...so if I really bust my butt and burn between 700-800 calories a day that would still keep me netting around 1200 though right? Is it dangerous to do it that way?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it doesn't appear that you weigh your food so chances are you are eating more than you think.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it doesn't appear that you weigh your food so chances are you are eating more than you think.

Then you weren't looking at my diary. With the exception of Easter, I've been pretty religious about weighing everything (except prepackaged stuff that's already weighed).
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    But what if my BMR is 1400 and I plug in to lose two lbs a week...that would take my caloric goal to 400 and if I exercise I can add in those calories...so if I really but my butt and burn between 700-800 calories a day that would still keep me netting around 1200 though right? Is it dangerous to do it that way?

Let me see if I"m reading this right? You want to eat around 1200 calories total while exercising off 700-800 calories a day?

No, this wouldn't be netting 1200 calories a day. You'd be eating 1200 gross and netting around 400 calories per day.

1200 is the bare minimum for a sedentary woman. You aren't sedentary is you're trying to burn 700-800 calories a day. You need to eat more than that.

There is no math that will let you lose 2 pounds per week in a safe way at this point. And the harder you try to push that the more likely you are to be vitamin deficient and lose muscle along with the fat.

You need to adjust your expectations.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    But what if my BMR is 1400 and I plug in to lose two lbs a week...that would take my caloric goal to 400 and if I exercise I can add in those calories...so if I really but my butt and burn between 700-800 calories a day that would still keep me netting around 1200 though right? Is it dangerous to do it that way?

Let me see if I"m reading this right? You want to eat around 1200 calories total while exercising off 700-800 calories a day?

No, this wouldn't be netting 1200 calories a day. You'd be eating 1200 gross and netting around 400 calories per day.

1200 is the bare minimum for a sedentary woman. You aren't sedentary is you're trying to burn 700-800 calories a day. You need to eat more than that.

There is no math that will let you lose 2 pounds per week in a safe way at this point. And the harder you try to push that the more likely you are to be vitamin deficient and lose muscle along with the fat.

You need to adjust your expectations.

You said the same thing I did. I'd only net 400 calories UNLESS I ate back those exercise calories which would put me back up very close to or at 1200.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Then you weren't looking at my diary. With the exception of Easter, I've been pretty religious about weighing everything (except prepackaged stuff that's already weighed).

The two eggs from today don't appear to be logged by weight. Yesterday's log shows oatmeal, sugar, strawberries, cool whip, eggs, and a clementine all logged by cups/spoons (and qty for the clementine) rather than weight.

I know it feels nitpicky, but it really can make a difference. I recently logged a day of my food by measurement and then logged the same food by weight to compare. These were the exact same portions of food measured different ways and the day logged with cups/spoons measurements was over 200 calories less than the one logged by weight. Weighing your food really can make a big difference.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you planning to do that will burn 700-800 calories per day? If you were a runner that would mean running > 40 miles per week. Whatever the exercise, it's going to have to be at least 2 hours per day, I would guess.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and I would say its not that you are not eating enough - you have consistely logged pretty close to your goals and not dropped down too low. You seem to eat pretty healthy so I think you just need to give it more time. Yes I do think 2 lbs a week is a pretty aggressive goal. If you seem to think you are stalled then try somethign like cutting more processed foods and eating up to your goal by eating fruits and lean proteins - try aiming to hit you macros more consistently. Get closer to your protein goals without going over on your carbs - maybe a few weeks of doing that will jump start your loss.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    But what if my BMR is 1400 and I plug in to lose two lbs a week...that would take my caloric goal to 400 and if I exercise I can add in those calories...so if I really bust my butt and burn between 700-800 calories a day that would still keep me netting around 1200 though right? Is it dangerous to do it that way?

I think you don't understand net calories. It sounds like your plan is to net 400 calories a day, since you talk about a calorie goal of 400 (nuts, by the way, and FP won't let you set it that low anyway) and then burning 800 so you can eat 1200 and still have a deficit of 1000 calories a day. Is that what you mean? Because that would give you a net of 400 calories. This would be dangerously low. Plus, if you're only eating 1200 calories a day, I doubt you'd have the energy to exercise for over an hour every day (which is what it would take to burn an extra 800 calories every day).

Net calories = Calories in (all food) - calories burned through exercise etc.

Your net calories should be at least 1000.