Nobody said it was easy…

Options
So technically this is 'Day 1'... again. I feel like I'm counting days like an alcoholic. Suppose it's apropos. I think we should get coins... I think I'm going to make one. A little reminder totem to keep in my pocket.

…Anyway

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to start. I tend to overwhelm myself with goals and information and I end up walking away and eating out of frustration and misery.

I'm well versed in steps 17-43…. but step 2 is confusing me.

Anyone got a map?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These three threads are a really good start:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I know it's a lot of information and it's a lot of changes. Start small if you have to. Don't complicate things and don't try to be perfect. There are going to be good days and bad ones. That's okay. Dust yourself off and keep moving forward! :flowerforyou:
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    "I'm well versed in steps 17-43…. but step 2 is confusing me."

Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying that you feel like you know how to maintain weight but not how to lose it?
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    "I'm well versed in steps 17-43…. but step 2 is confusing me."

Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying that you feel like you know how to maintain weight but not how to lose it?

She was being facetious.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    So technically this is 'Day 1'... again. I feel like I'm counting days like an alcoholic. Suppose it's apropos. I think we should get coins... I think I'm going to make one. A little reminder totem to keep in my pocket.

…Anyway

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to start. I tend to overwhelm myself with goals and information and I end up walking away and eating out of frustration and misery.

Anyone got a map?

just start somewhere, anywhere, just to get you going. You dont have to be perfect, but just change one or two things, and work on that for a week or so. then next week do another goal. shortly you will be ok, flying along and eating right pretty much all the time. but just start somewhere ,,, then it wont seem like your climbing mt Everest.
  • OccamsDisposableRazor
    Options
    just start somewhere, anywhere, just to get you going. You dont have to be perfect, but just change one or two things, and work on that for a week or so. then next week do another goal. shortly you will be ok, flying along and eating right pretty much all the time. but just start somewhere ,,, then it wont seem like your climbing mt Everest.

Agree completely! But don't just target 1 or 2 things, remember to CELEBRATE every single victory, no matter how small. Because I'm an emotional eater, keeping my mental outlook on track has been just as important as the physical.

And the links that diannethegeek posted are GOLD. I wish I'd known about them when I started, but even know I keep referencing back to them for refreshers.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

…Anyway

Anyone got a map?

I know it seems daunting right now, but try to stop thinking of it as a period of time to tick off like a prison sentence.

Start by eating within your calorie goal. Do this by weighing and measuring everything. Do that for a whole week. Then do it again.
  • Bu1l
    Bu1l Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YES.. EAT! SERIOUSLY. TRY MAPING OUT YOUR DAILY DIET. BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER WITH SNACKS IN BETWEEN! YOU HAVE TO START OFF SLOW... DIETS ARE NOT ABOUT STARVING YOURSELF OR CUTTING OUT FOOD YOU NORMALLY EAT .. JUST START OFF SLOW AND START WALKING.. IF YOU GO SHOPPING.. PARK ALL THE WAY IN THE BACK... IF YOU CAN WALK AROUND YOUR AREA OR A LOCAL PARK THAT WOULD BE GREAT.. JUST START OFF SLOW AND YOU WILL GRADUALLY BECOME MORE STRICKER! GOOD LUCK AND WE ALL ARE HERE FOR YOU!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For me, step 2 is just to make A change not ALL the changes.

Do you notice you snack a lot at night? You could cut that.

Do you drink a lot of pop? You could swap that for water.

Do you eat a lot of cookies? (this is my problem) cut back to one every other day.

If you're overwhelmed with doing ALL THE THINGS then just do ONE thing until you get good at it then do one more thing. Eventually you'll get around to all the things.

Good luck
  • DodgeRider509
    Options
    Get a scale.

Weigh everything to 1 serving

Log everything you eat. I like to plan my day out so I know what to eat

Log every Day!

No FAST FOOD.

And that's it

Maybe add some exercise or just yard work...

Find low calorie greek yogurt
    I like 5 calorie jello
    Chicken breast
    Low calorie cereals
    1% milk

I drink diet soda ALL the time. I really don't like to function without.... But I'm working on it :)