Giving up smoking

Options

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco about 3 years ago. I will now have a cigar on occassion but I haven't had a cigarette or dip since I-don't-remember-when. The most important things for my success were to never get drunk, avoid stress and never eat until I was full since those were the things that really triggered cravings for me. Occassionally I will still get a craving for a chew after I eat a really big meal but it is becoming less and less frequent.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Quit about 5 years ago. I tried several times before. I used Chantix (US), Champix (EU/AUS). It worked great to get me to stop. THe side effects were a bit brutal. Then again dropping that habit is brutal period.

These E-cigs help, but only if you use them as a "dosing down" idea. Converting from cigs to e-cigs still involves nicotine but no tar. Still bad. If they help you stop then great. Anything the helps you stop is good.

Good luck, it ain't easy, but it's well worth it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I quit about 15 years ago. I had smoked for 35 years up to 3 packs a day. I quit cold turkey. The thought of never smoking again, was what had always overwhelmed me. So, every time, I wanted a cigarette, I would say to myself, "You are an adult and can smoke if you want to, you just won't smoke this one!" I had to say that to myself every 10 seconds to 10 minutes at first. I must admit, there are still times when I want a cigarette and it is almost like I forget I quit. When that happens, I give myself the same self-talk. Good luck! I'd like to say I felt better, etc. I didn't, but...I sure smell better. Now when I walk by someone who smokes, I really notice the smell on their clothes!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I have been quit for 4 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 16 hours, 49 minutes and 36 seconds (1,507 days). I have saved $7,538.50 by not smoking 30,154 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Months, 1 Week, 5 Days, 16 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/1/2010 12:00 AM (yes that is an app) :blushing:
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have been quit for 4 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 16 hours, 49 minutes and 36 seconds (1,507 days). I have saved $7,538.50 by not smoking 30,154 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Months, 1 Week, 5 Days, 16 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/1/2010 12:00 AM (yes that is an app) :blushing:

LOL. I believe I used the same or similar app that was popular when i quit. I might even have it buried away on my laptop somewhere. Would be amusing to recalculate at todays cost of cigs. ;-)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    These E-cigs help, but only if you use them as a "dosing down" idea. Converting from cigs to e-cigs still involves nicotine but no tar. Still bad. If they help you stop then great. Anything the helps you stop is good.

Congratulations on quitting. I agree that quitting nicotine altogether is the best approach, but what works for some people doesn't work for everybody.

There is no evidence that I'm aware of that nicotine is any worse than caffeine. The real health hazards of smoking are in the tar and the thousands of gasses given off when tobacco burns. One of these days there may be a study linking e-cigs and health dangers. It's unlikely that they'll ever be shown to be as harmful as regular cigarettes, though.

I think everybody ought to try quitting cold turkey. If that doesn't work, try some of the smoking cessation aides like Chantix, the patch, nicotine gum or any of the other nicotine delivery systems. If they're not working for you, switch to e-cigs. They're not quite like smoking, but they're close enough to satisfy most people. And you'll immediately start to enjoy most of the health benefits of quitting smoking. You may also want to quit e-cigs one day, but even if that day never comes, your health and finances will improve dramatically.
  • Barb_A
    Barb_A Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I last smoked a cigarette 1 year, 4 months, 18 days, and have saved $3,600.61 and avoided 7,201 cigarettes! :-)

1417132800_32_1_USD_10_dark.png
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    I JUST QUIT 10 DAYS AGO!!!

Wow, I have been smoking a pack of cigarettes for 10 years and on April 6th I quit cold turkey! I was finally done, the first few days, my head was in a fog, the first day I started a fire in my kitchen that I had to stomp out, I couldn't focus on anything, I lost my sense of humor the first 3 days, I found nothing funny and just spaced off into my own head. couldn't carry conversations.

By the first weekend I had to literally sit on my hands so I wouldn't move, I became emotional in the grocery store for no reason, I was abruptly and randomly rude out of the blue to a few people. I had anxiety.

Since I stopped to this day I haven't slept well, I wake up twice in the middle of the night sweating.

BUT I DON'T MIND I HEAR IT'S JUST TWO WEEKS OF HARDSHIP AND THEN YOU'RE IN THE CLEAR!! I WANT THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING. Because I deserve it. I DERSERVE IT.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I smoke when I drink which is usually once a week. So be it!
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking November 2012. I quit cold turkey by replacing cigs with DumDum lollipops. Also quitting on a Friday and sleeping through the weekend helped. I just kept telling myself "3 days and it's done. 3 days and it's done." Once the nicotine is out of your system it gets easier and easier.

Best of luck to you all. :) It's worth it.
  • jtbox28
    jtbox28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over a year ago.

I need Chantix to help, but it really worked for me.

I liked that I could smoke for 2 weeks while starting out the medicine, but smoking eventually made me nauseous.

The first week of no cigarettes was tough, but it got easier day by day.

I also got an app that kept track of how many days it's been, how many cigs I haven't smoked, and how much money I've saved. When you look at it like that, it's really quite an expensive habit.

Good luck!!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked but from what I hear, the beginning is the hardest.

E-cigarettes, patches, the liquid cigarettes at 7-Eleven (supposed to be really good and it's not expensive to use), and chewing gum can be helpful when transitioning off cigarettes. Some people quit cold turkey while others slowly decrease the number of cigarettes they smoke.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps more than you'd think is to thoroughly clean all the spaces where you smoked. That means detailing the inside of your car, wiping down the walls of your office, possibly even repainting. Get the smell out, remove the yellow film, make it fresh and clean, and you'll be less tempted to light up again in those spots, especially if they were trigger spots.
  • YesImAwesomeUR2
    Options
    Good for you! Sometimes we quit several times before it actually sticks but don't give up! I have been cigarette free since 2007. I can,t even tell you how many times I tried quitting before finally quitting. I tried the gum, the patch, cold turkey several times. I finally decided that I needed to get scared. I made a list of horrible things that could happen to me if I continued to smoke including dying of cancer, my son ( who was 3 at the time) being mother-less and an orphan, my son crying at my funeral and always missing me. I looked at this list every day and cried. I also looked at anti-smoking videos online and one in particular struck me pretty hard because a boy in the video looked about the same age as my son. I heard later that they pulled that video because it was so intense....but I'm glad I saw it because that's what kicked my butt into gear....and now I'm smoke-free! :-)
  • aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I havent had any side effects since the 3rd day on the weakest pills. For the first 3 days I felt kind of crappy

Did you have any problems or side effects when you started taking the full dosage, two 1mg tablets per day? I had to cut mine back to only 1 a day. It was making me depressed and angry at everything. The total opposite of my personality.
    [/quote]
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm on Chantix also, and it's been extremely helpful.

The first time I took it, several years ago, I had very vivid dreams. Not nightmares, just very intense and bizarre. I liked it. I did have one episode of irrational anger, but I recognized it as a side effect and was able to laugh it off. I did have some nausea if I took it on an empty stomach. It was working until I began dating a heavy smoker and got derailed.

This time around I have had no side effects, which is disappointing since I was looking forward to the dreams. But the nausea also hasn't been a problem, so I guess it's a decent trade-off. It helps that my current boyfriend, the love of my life, is a non-smoker.
  • deana2828
    deana2828 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am totally overwhelmed by all the positive replies on this post. Thank you all so much for sharing and well done to all of you who have quit smoking. Healthy lungs is the aim for me. Thanks again :-) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:flowerforyou:
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing on their quit smoking quest? Going on week 6 without a cig so far. I quit taking the Chantix last Thursday, 4-17. I can't tell any different than when I was taking them. Still want one 2 or 3 times a day but only takes a couple of minutes of distraction and I forget about it.
  • mc_hudd
    mc_hudd Posts: 47
    Options
    I officially quit on Good Friday, the 18th. I'm using the patches. Have taken a few drags here & there, but no more than 1 full cigarette in any given day since I "quit". I'm not having any issues. I'll be glad to go to the next step of patches & then be finally done! It's been a lot easier than I thought it would be!
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since anyone posted on this thread so I'm gonna - I'm on day 5 today with the help of Champix :)

Today is the first day I don't want to kill everyone I come into contact with....so it's a yay day for me! :)