'Best' alcoholic drink?

Options
2»

Replies

• Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think a pint of Woodpecker is only 200 calories. I would plan that into my day and just enjoy one. (But I love cider)
    In a bottle (12 oz) - it is only 150 calories!

Otherwise, I like flavored vodka (raspberry, mmmm) with club soda and lime over ice - for 70 calories.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If "best" refers to "clean" then wines/champagnes or spirits like vodka or whiskey.

If "best" refers to how intoxicated you'll be upon consumption (which is what I was hoping this thread was about): long island iced tea. LOL.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Coconut rum and seltzer over ice sounds good to me.

Also I've been drinking Skinny Girl on the rocks (piña colada, Cosmo, margarita)
    It's about 33 calories per 1.5 ounces and about 25 proof.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    OK, so I realise that alcohol doesn't really have any place in a 'clean' diet BUT I'm wondering what the least bad alcoholic drink is. I don't drink very often at all (last drink was probably at Christmas) and when I do I don't get drunk (last time I was even slightly tipsy was probably early last year). However, I'm meeting a friend tomorrow and we're hitting the pub for a catch-up. I don't want to get hammered but I don't want to sit there nursing a fizzy water while she necks pints of cider (that I would LOVE to drink - mmmm Woodpecker! - but we all know how bad cider is). I'm thinking Rosé Spritzer or Vodka, Lime & Soda. Can anyone suggest any even lower calorie tipples?

WTF is a 'Clean diet'?

Drink a stout and be done with it!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Red wine.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bourbon on the rocks...

THIS - bourbon on the rocks all the way.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    bourbon on the rocks...

THIS - bourbon on the rocks all the way.

Yep, it is the best.

However, I tend to go with the IPA because I tend to nurse them. One 260 calorie beer over the course of a couple hours works for me and makes me feel full. That works better for the real life me who doesn't want to get drunk. Bourbon most certainly guarantees I will want too many and end up being drunker than planned.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your criteria is a for heathier altervative. Are you talking calories? Carbs? Or something else completely? You mentioned "clean" diets, so I'm guessing that's your focus and if that's the case...why not have the cider beer? I can't think of anything that might be a better option for a clean diet, do you might as well have what you want. (By the way, I think you meant Woodchuck, not Woodpecker...unless that's a cider brand I've never heard of...which is possible since I don't drink much cider beer).

If you are going calories...I usually go for a light beer or a glass of wine. I know there are some healthier cocktail options out there too if that's your thing. A gin and tonic or something probably wouldn't be too bad.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, lots of great ideas. I might even mix it up and have a different suggestion each round ;-) . Low cal, moderate alcohol is fine by me, I'm out to get fuzzy round the edges, not battered.

And CaitlinW19, I did mean Woodpecker. It's the UK's No1 sweet cider and it's lush. It's also about 230 cals a pint, full of sugar and very moreish. Either way I shall be hitting the pool a bit harder this week to make up for my indiscretions.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    WTF is a 'Clean diet'?

YES! I hate this term.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    It's not so much the booze you should look out for, but rather sugary mixers or additives. Beer isn't great on cals either. I usually go with a hard liquor and diet soda or seltzer or I stick to wine/champagne. Just go in with a limit in your head of how many drinks you'll have and stick to it. I sometimes alternate between a drink and a glass of water, which also cuts back on any hangover you might have.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options

It's the bestworst thing that's ever happened.
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options

Amazing!
    Thank you!
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    WTF is a 'Clean diet'?

YES! I hate this term.

Don't use it then :-/ .

Forgive my use of an unpalatable phrase but the point I was making (hence it being in quotes) was to denote that alcohol isn't exactly a desirable addition to any healthy lifestyle/diet. My idea of a 'clean' diet is one with no junk in it, alcohol is junk, empty calories, hardly nourishing and too much of it will screw your body over faster than most things. But all that takes a lot longer to type. Soz like.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    gin and tonic :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure Woodchuck is actual cider. That's just an apple flavored brewed 'beer' of some sort isn't it? I wouldn't think hard cider wouldn't be a bad choice if you have the calories to spare.

I think wine is probably the 'best'. Most is not all that high in claories, it has some proven health benefits and it's more socially acceptable to sip than chug, so moderation is a little easier.