Tips about going raw?

Options
I was watching a video on youtube about going on a raw food lifestyle change. Not raw meat, yuck. Just veges, fruits, nuts, beans, ect. What's your opinion about it or some tips?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    Tartar and carpaccio gets old quick and I need my bbq, but good luck to you.........make sure you get enough protein and fat....you know, those pesky essential nutrients.:smile:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Some people have done it and report wonderfully good things happening to their health.

Some other people have done it and reported that although they felt great at first, after a few months or years on it they started having serious health problems. (teeth falling out is a common one).

It's also quite expensive (because you're buying pounds and pounds of fruit and vegetables) but if you are currently eating expensive meat (such as beef more than on special occasions) you might not see a huge difference in your food bill.

The scientific evidence in favor of it is somewhat lacking and frequently centers around invalid arguments such as "we are natural vegans".

However, it definitely works for many for weight loss.

If you do try it, I'd make sure to get regular physicals and dental checkups, and be willing to listen to your doctor if they're telling you it's not working. You might be one of the people who feels great on it, but you might not.

ETA: There's absolutely nothing wrong with including more raw food into your regular diet though, I haven't seen deleterious effects reported except by the fanatics who've gone 100% raw and stayed that way for some time. You might try going partway.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    This is all the raw I need:

b50ef233-9e8e-47f2-a7af-796b3072fd65_zps5da938ef.jpg?t=1398134652

In all seriousness though, there's a youtube channel called TasteMade, and they have a segment called Raw.Vegan.Not Gross. Maybe you should check it out, some of the recipes look really good!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Tips about going raw? Don't.

And bonus life tip: don't make decisions based on YouTube videos.
  • HappilyRubina
    HappilyRubina Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am also in same boat. I'm eating raw but not exclusively! I know I need protein and fat so I add some boiled chickpea, some cottage cheese here and there. Overall, I've loved eating more raw. My energy is great and grain sluggishness is going away. Try to modify it to your balance so its sustainable and more healthy. Good luck!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I was watching a video on youtube about going on a raw food lifestyle change. Not raw meat, yuck. Just veges, fruits, nuts, beans, ect. What's your opinion about it or some tips?

There's your big problem. Start doing some actual research on nutrition and steer clear of youtube videos making claims...
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    All raw isn't sustainable long term. The cellulose in raw veggies is one of the more difficult substances for our bodies to digest so your asking your intestines to work extra hard. The cooking process actually breaks down the cellulose making it easier to digest.

Some vegetables are actually more nutritious when cooked, the heat making the nutrients more accessible in digestion.

Then there are some vegetables that actually have some toxins that would be removed if cooked.

So basically, wether a vegetable is better raw or cooked is going to vary from vegetable to vegetable. I'd start with my favorites and start researching them.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FullyRawKristina/videos

She's really over the top but she posts fully raw meals and has a really pretty website.

Personally I could never do it.
  • karrindrwd
    karrindrwd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could try doing raw till 4, raw vegan diet until you get home from work/school ect. From what I've seen/read if you go fully raw you need to eat 2000-4000 calories a day depending on how much you exercise. Since you can get 80% of the calories this ensures you get enough micro nutrients, calories and macro nutrients. Most people recommend bananas and dates as a staple, but don't forget to eat 1-2 heads/bundles of kale/romain/spinach daily as well. You'd be surprised how much protein leafy greens contain. Vary the kinds of fruits that you eat, get a good blender and keep researching. I would try reading about 80/10/10.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ooooooooooh, that kind of raw.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is the major known side effect.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is the major known side effect.
    from just a tip for going raw?
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You would get much better information if you went into the raw groups and asked questions about this. The Standard American Diet people don't take kindly to having their methods questioned.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=raw

ETA: not that the information is less biased, just that it's biased in the direction that you're looking for :heart:
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was watching a video on youtube about going on a raw food lifestyle change. Just veges, fruits, nuts, beans, ect. What's your opinion about it or some tips?
    I considered going the raw food lifestyle but a few reasons helped me decide against it.

- Labor intensive. Outside of "rabbit food", a lot of the good dishes take day before preparation if not more
    - Specialized equipment. I don't have a lot of space so I didn't want to have to buy things like dehydrators or sprouters, etc.
    - Not "normal" food. Going raw limits your options when you're away from home. Sometimes even vegetarians struggle to find something to eat if they didn't plan ahead and prepare something to take with them. Let alone finding fulfilling raw food. I like being spontaneous.

Now, I eat raw food when the opportunity presents itself (not totally rare in the San Francisco Bay Area) but I'd never go 100%.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You would get much better information if you went into the raw groups and asked questions about this. The Standard American Diet people don't take kindly to having their methods questioned.

ETA: not that the information is less biased, just that it's biased in the direction that you're looking for :heart:

:huh:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Just remember that even coitus interruptus is not foolproof.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

useful to the op, while throwing middle fingers up to almost everyone reading...I like your style...are we friends? ;)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We need to control the cow population. Please don't.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    1. Stretch first.
    2. Bring lotion for the chaffing.
    3. Wash hands thoroughly afterwards.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options

useful to the op, while throwing middle fingers up to almost everyone reading...I like your style...are we friends? ;)

That's how I do. Tell it like it is. *throws up middle finger to anyone I missed*