Calling all Runners!

Options
Run4Me2Day
Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
I am wanting to take up running at 43 years old. I am starting with a good pair of shoes, map my fitness app, and SOME desire. I am open to any advice and words of wisdom as to how to get going and keep motivated.

Thanks in advanced.

Replies

• apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A lot of people start with Couch to 5k and go from there. Others just go. Don't go too fast too soon. It will lead to injury. I actually prefer the Jeff Galloway method (google him) as it's better for my knees and lower back after some issues in high school. I've only been running since January but I'm slowly getting faster. I follow the 'distance over speed' train of thought and go nice and slow. The speed will come over time. Just remember to be safe!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Download the "Couch to 5k" app. It's meant to transform you from a non-runner to someone who can run a 5k (3.1 miles) without stopping.

I started running at 45 I think, and that's what I used. Good luck!
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I started 3 years ago at age 54, thanks to the encouragement of a co-worker. I used the couch to 5K program, and it worked great for me. You start out slowly and build up. There is a C25K group of facebook, if you are on that, and the members are very encouraging and helpful. If you aren't just google couch to 5k, there are a lot of sites. If you have running friends, I'm sure they would be happy to give you support. I live in a small town and have been able to get help from our cross country coach too. The biggest thing I have found is that you are only competing with yourself, and so it's all good! If you compare yourself to others, it can be pretty tough. Welcome! The running community is a great one!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Download the "Couch to 5k" app. It's meant to transform you from a non-runner to someone who can run a 5k (3.1 miles) without stopping.

I started running at 45 I think, and that's what I used. Good luck!

I've heard only great things about the Couch to 5K - I *was* a big runner, 10 mile weekends and whatnot, but my knees don't dig it. I'm only 35 and already have issues so my doc said ditch it for walking (or basically anything else) and if I "must" run, no more than 3 miles. Just take your time, though, don't push yourself and you'll start noticing changes as weeks go by. It's a feel-good kind of sport. As in it feels good when you're done with the run lol.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway is great!! I agree Don't go too fast too soon! If you have desire you don't want to have to stop due to injuries. It is very very annoying! I started when I was 50. Running is just too much fun!! We still do the one minute on one minute off thing. We did a 10 K the other day. It works for us, we are not competitive, and we don't hurt ourselves.
  • DaveZilla1984
    DaveZilla1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Having other people around who run to motivate you is what has kept me going. We all push each other along :-)
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Set a goal, do a race!

A target of 5K is ideal, and there are lots of casual 5K races - don't take fright at the thought of an event like this, you will be surrounded by like-minded people who once made the same decision you made and stuck to it!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Goals...reasonable expectations...be determined to get to the bottom of pain/injury and learn how to prevent in the future...don't try to do too much too fast.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Having gotten into running in my 20s with the trial and error method, stopped, and recently restarted using Couch to 5K, I can't praise C25K too highly. Its progression helps you build both your stamina and your joint and muscle strength. You can get an app, or you can simply follow the plan on Cool Running's website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Take it easy, don't run more than 3 days a week until you've finished the program, and even then, I'd advise not more than 4 times a week for at least a year—do some cross training other days if you want, like cycling, walking, or swimming. Runners are prone to minor injuries, largely because we sometimes push ourselves too much.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, don't push too hard to begin with, do whatever you feel comfortable with and then add maybe a couple of minutes to gently push yourself.

If you push too hard, too soon, you'll end up hating it and give up.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    See if your local community ed program has a beginner running program. I failed couch 2 5 k but going to the class every week has been very motivating. I'm signed up for my first 5k. The class is taught by someone from our local running club who just finished the Boston Marathon.

Oh..and get good shoes!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started running at the age of 43 - after HATING it and avoiding it at all costs most of my life. If I can do it, YOU can do it too! :bigsmile: I turn 46 this week and I am still running and ENJOYING it.

I'll echo those that said get a c25k app. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs and it worked like a charm. I stuck to the program, and in the allotted time I was running for 30 minutes straight, no stopping (or dying!). I ran my first 5k race soon after that and LOVED it. Racing is a blast - and a great motivator, so find yourself a good 5k race happening in your area sometime after you'll be finished with c25k and register for it! Nothing motivates like a race on the horizon!

Good shoes, good gear (wicking tops, shorts, maybe a baseball cap or visor, good socks, too!) and go for it!
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Do not compare yourself to any other runner, listen to your body and maybe enter a 5k race for the fall so it gives you an incentive to keep going.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of couch to 5 k. Week one I could barely handle a minute of running. Now I'm up to 20 minutes straight! I recommend this app. And if you're not ready to progress to next week then you could just repeat a week till you're ready to advance.
    I'm a new runner too. Add me if you'd like. :)

Amanda
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What I do that works for me is to just run as far as I can go without stopping and then I walk for a short rest and repeat over and over until I reach the distance I wanted to run. I sign up for periodic 5 K races to get timed and I compete for earn a new Personal best each time. I just started timing mile runs at home or at my local rec to work on lowering that time. By constantly picking a goal to try to beat where it is distance or time it helps keep me focused and I compete against myself.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 1 of the C25K app too, and I really recommend it. I'm using the ZenLabs one but I think there are a few different versions out there. I've never been the running type, but it's a good challenge, pushing me ever so slightly beyond my comfort zone and it's much nicer running around my neighbourhood rather than running nowhere in the gym! Feel free to add me if you're looking for a running buddy!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I started running using C25K and I can now run half marathons. Its a great programme. The one tip i will always give, is to go slow. Dont try to run too fast, just get the distance over the speed and the speed will naturally come. Dont feel you have to start at a 10minute mile. I started at a 15 minute mile and built up
  • fran11mat
    fran11mat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started jogging a very slow 2km (1.24mi) and I added 500m (.31mi) every couple of days. I have always run out half my intended journey to a point, that way I have no option but to run home and I know to walk will take twice as long. A word of warning - it becomes very addictive. All the best with it.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    youve taken the first step! yay! look after your core, knees, itb and feet. these exercises are really boring and most people over look them but they will keep you free of injury. Is running the only exercise you do? thats great for your heart....what about your bones...ever considered lifting?