Bump
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash for Pasta...
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't do a whole lot of swapping. All things in moderation. I have however recently switched from a 190 calorie whole grain ciabatta roll to a 90 calorie whole grain flat bread for my lunches at work. That's 500 calories less a week.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh, that reminds me - switched my random white chocolate mocha from SB with the Hazelnut Macchiatto. The taste is still amazing IMO and the cals are half. Switching to soy milk also helped my digestion - didn't switch for cals there.

Part of the challenge in switching at my house is that I have, HAVE, to provide high-calorie nutritionally-dense foods for my boys and husband, who are all extremely active and slender. (Two of my boys are "underweight", one is on the low end of "normal".) I can't afford to buy two sets of groceries, and if I put the family on a heavy fruits and veg, less everything fattening diet, they'd wither away. So I switch out foods and we can all share the same foods. Win-win. Small portions only gets ya so far sometimes.
  • Nuttynutnuts
    Nuttynutnuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

- Gave up beer and wine so I can have more delicious food (I didn't like the taste of alcohol much anyway, and I'd rather spend my calories on precious food)
    - Home made popcorn instead of microwave popcorn, so I can control the oil and portion size.
    - Unsweetened herbal/fruit tea instead of chocolate soy milk and fizzy drink.
    - Almond milk instead of soy milk (fewer calories).
    - Hummus instead of peanut butter on my toast (I love peanut butter but it's so high calorie so I have it less. Really want to try PB2 though!)
    - Small Pringles can instead of eating a whole big Pringles tube by myself. LOL.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    /Oh another one... instead of spaghetti I have spaghetti squash...easy to bake - cut in half, take seeds out and in overn for 45 min at 350 then scoop out the 'spaghetti stands' and I arrange them on a plate like spaghetti and put (home made) tomato sauce and a bit of parmesan cheese and YUM. And I can have seconds! At first I didn't think I'd be full since i love carbs...but it is actually quite filling...and they re-heat nicely!

This...and for the person who thinks it's too sweet, sprinkle it with oregano and sage before you bake it. The sage cuts the sweetness and the oregano adds some Italian flavor.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Why are people so sad about what others are choosing to eat or not eat?

Because unless you have a medical condition its unnecessary. And to watch people make mistakes that I've made in the past is sad, you can enjoy delicious food just smaller amounts of it. You don't have to think of any food as good or bad.

Eating cauliflower and pretending it's pizza crust is just depressing.

Also for the one that said this is about getting healthier not just losing weight, well since I've lost 107 lbs by eating all the good foods that I enjoy, I've been taken off of multiple prescriptions, all my blood work has improved significantly... so I would say I'm getting much healthier.

Nobody is thinking of food as good or bad - they are thinking of it as high calorie or low calorie.

and one could take the alternate POV - is sad to see people struggling to eat smaller portions when they could still be enjoying larger portions - of alternative food with lower calories (or a mixture of the 2 approaches)

People can do things differently to you and still be successful, you know.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've swapped cereal for the most part for oatmeal.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love this! So many good ideas.

The big ones I use:

Pam spray butter or spray olive oil instead of pouring it in the pan
    Air popped popcorn instead of chips
    Coffee with a tiny bit of creamer instead of the decadent treats at places like Starbucks
    Frozen yogurt instead of ice cream
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Here is another one, in some recipes where leaner cuts are just not right, I grind some heavily seasoned and cooked mushrooms with my ground meat (in addition to onions and garlic) this imparts some special amazing flavor and cuts down the bulk of fatty meat.

P.S I have always loved cauliflower so I'm curious about the pizza crust, isn't it chuck full of cheese and egg yolk making it a higher calorie alternative to the conventional crust? Or have I been reading the wrong recipes? I'm honestly curious to try it if it actually has lower calories.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    3pm sugar fix (chocolate, muffins etc) for a Quest bar :D
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In my pies
    sugar+flour+eggs---->oats+juice
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    normal overly sweet over the top with sugar apple pie for a healthy oats and cauliflower crust with thin apple slices with cinammon and stevia drops! that ish is even gluten - diairy free! :D
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Milk for Skim Milk in Protein Drinks.
  • marcksh
    marcksh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've swapped juice for flavoured 0 cal water - PC Free & Clear. So good even my hubby drinks it.

Only issue I have is are there added chemicals? Or enough to worry about?