Low Carb Diet??

Options
Hi! I am still currently in school and I was really interested in starting a low carb diet to help me lose weight. I will obviously be working out as well and not relying only on the diet to help me lose the weight but my problem is I live at home and its a struggle trying to be on a diet while everyone else in my family is eating the normal dinner. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I should help give this diet a chance? I need ideas on what to pack for my school lunches and what to make myself for dinner. For breakfast I just planned on making myself some eggs. (Also, I don't eat fish)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am still currently in school and I was really interested in starting a low carb diet to help me lose weight. I will obviously be working out as well and not relying only on the diet to help me lose the weight but my problem is I live at home and its a struggle trying to be on a diet while everyone else in my family is eating the normal dinner. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I should help give this diet a chance? I need ideas on what to pack for my school lunches and what to make myself for dinner. For breakfast I just planned on making myself some eggs. (Also, I don't eat fish)

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit......low carb is just one method to achieve that. Unless you have health issues, no need to eat "special" foods, or eat low carb.

Instead of a DIET (a temporary fix).....you might look for lifestyle changes. The reason being, many people who lose weight will gain it back because they go back to their "regular" routine. If you are going to continue to weigh less.....your routine needs to change.....permanently.

Here's what I do....IIFYM (If it fits your macros).....what that means is this. MFP will give you recommended %'s for protein, fat, and carbs (these are macros). You can change these settings (I upped my protein some, but I'm not low carb).

I try to get protein with every meal, I try to get fat with every meal......the rest is carbs. Carbs just aren't all that important. Portions ARE very important.....portion size will always matter. Portions have to be a lifestyle change for me.

I move more now......I will always move more........this is another lifestyle change for me.

The weight will creep back up if I change nothing.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a fridge and microwave at school

Dinner can be any type of meat. Also look up low carb veggies.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is probably the easiest meal. Eggs and meat are obvious choices. "Bulletproof coffee" is also popular. Salads seem like the best option for low carb lunches. A buddy of mine grills pretty much every night and will just grill an extra serving of whatever he's having for dinner to include on the next day's salad. So, if it's a 10oz steak for dinner, he'll grill about 6 oz of extra steak for the next day's lunch. Dinner can be meat and vegetables in whatever way you want to prepare them. Depending on what you mean by low carb (i.e., <25g carb? <100g carb?) your options for vegetables may be limited, but there's still plenty of low carb vegetables to choose from.
  • laneyrodg
    Options
    Do you have access to a fridge and microwave at school

Dinner can be any type of meat. Also look up low carb veggies.

Noo I don't but I'll definitely look into the veggies!
  • laneyrodg
    Options
    Breakfast is probably the easiest meal. Eggs and meat are obvious choices. "Bulletproof coffee" is also popular. Salads seem like the best option for low carb lunches. A buddy of mine grills pretty much every night and will just grill an extra serving of whatever he's having for dinner to include on the next day's salad. So, if it's a 10oz steak for dinner, he'll grill about 6 oz of extra steak for the next day's lunch. Dinner can be meat and vegetables in whatever way you want to prepare them. Depending on what you mean by low carb (i.e., <25g carb? <100g carb?) your options for vegetables may be limited, but there's still plenty of low carb vegetables to choose from.

I'm hoping to go for the <25g and thanks for the salad tip! I didn't even think about that, thanks so much! :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Don't feel limited to 'breakfast food' for breakfast, either. If you can't stomach it, that's one thing, but there's nothing wrong with reheated leftovers for breakfast.

I ate on this diet at <20g net carbs for 6 weeks and had a lot of meat + steamed fibrous veggies such as broccoli at every meal.

FTR, my weight loss was statistically insignificant from the 6 weeks prior when I had eaten moderate carbs at the same calorie level. I felt great with plenty of energy on both diets. YMMV.