Need advice for a newbie female at the gym

Options
charelg
charelg Posts: 599 Member
Hi!

I just started working out at a gym for the first time. I have previously done P90x and Nike Training, but no gym. I went 2x so far and I love it. I felt pretty dumb though trying to figure out some of the machines. I was able to figure out most of them after the 1st day. My question is what's a good routine to do to get toned, stronger, gain muscle and lose fat. I would like to lose about 15 lbs or get to a size 3/4 5/6. I burned a lot of calories when I went and did a warm up on treadmill, a circuit of arm and leg machines, elliptical then dumbbells. Any advice is appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight so far almost purely by running on the elliptical. I started doing 15min runs at level 3 resistance, but did my longest runs for 50min at level 6.

I have just yesterday switched my routine to build muscle, however - now I do 30min runs at level 8, as well as several weight exercises. I do Russian twists (seated, 6lb medicine ball, 6 sets of 20), chest presses (just the bar because I am weak, 3 sets of 10), trunk lifts (on the bench, 4 sets of 10) and if I want to do some bicep curls, I just pick up the lightest weights I can find and use them idly until it's time for me to head to work.

EDIT: on the elliptical, I started at a pace of about 128 steps per minute, and I'm now at 144-150.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5 or Stronglifts. You'll want a progressive overload lifting program, and maintain a slight calorie deficit. Lift heavy, and have patience.
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym I watched loads of youtube videos to understand the exercises and how to do them properly. I never really liked machines (plus I believe that free weights are much more effective) so I threw myself into the dumbbells section right from the beginning, learning a lot of new stuff every day from the more experienced guys.
    There are also many workout plans created by pros, have a look at bodybuilding.com, you just need to find one that matches your goals..:)
  • charelg
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I am doing dumb bells and have increased my weight to 20 lbs and about 12 reps. And I love that elliptical machine. I was just watching you tube last night for gym workout videos.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I am doing dumb bells and have increased my weight to 20 lbs and about 12 reps. And I love that elliptical machine. I was just watching you tube last night for gym workout videos.

20lb dumbell and 12 reps of what? you can do a lot with a set of dumbbells.
    curls? presses? lat and front raises? chest flys? Tricep extensions? rows?
  • charelg
    Options
    Bicep curls. flys. upright rows, those curls that you lean out. I do a lot that I learned on P90x
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You'll lose fat by maintaining a deficit in your eating.
    For gaining strength, you need to do a tried and true strength training program like strong lifts or starting strength.

If you are brand new to the gym…you might be better off starting with the basics. Skip the machines and get into the free weight area.
    Nia Shanks - Lift Like a Girl is an excellent resource. As well as the book New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5 or Stronglifts. You'll want a progressive overload lifting program, and maintain a slight calorie deficit. Lift heavy, and have patience.
    This this this...The program's so short and good. I've been away for a while and just started again. Did workout A today, felt like a strong monster, and had to burn some steam off at the park. It's addictive.
  • charelg
    Options
    Thanks!