FitBit - More calories burned with 0 steps?

Options
So I'm still learning my FitBit. On Saturday I was not feeling well so I didn't wear it because I spent 90% of my day in bed. So for Saturday FitBit logged me as taking 0 steps but my calorie burn was higher than days where i had taken steps. Here's what it logged:

04/19/14
Steps: 0
Calories burned: 2,040

04/18/14
Steps: 3,866
Calories burned: 1,668

04/17/14
Steps: 2,071

04/16/14
Steps: 5,708
Calories burned: 1,885

I've been sick for a few days now so my step count is way low but why is it telling me I burned more calories on the 17th and the 19th if I took fewer (or no) steps?

Replies

• JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    Not sure about the day with 0 steps... that is strange.

But with the two below I might have an idea.

04/17/14
    Steps: 2,071

04/16/14
    Steps: 5,708
    Calories burned: 1,885

It's not just the number of steps, but the speed. Say you ran 1,000 steps really fast. That might burn more calories than slowly walking 2,000 steps. FitBit does know running vs. walking. Also, did you look at your Active Minutes for those days? I find that Active Minutes seems to show a better idea of how many calories I burn that just the number of steps. Another idea, stairs climbed. Climbing stairs seems to burn more calories than the same number of steps walking.

Hope this helps at least a little.
  • ElyseHerz
    ElyseHerz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you logging additional exercise with MFP that then transfers over to Fitbit? What I noticed with mine is that when I log additional exercise, it overwrite the calories burned in Fitbit with the calories from MFP, instead of adding them together.

For example, Fitbit tells me I burn 20 calories in a 15 minute period with 0 steps. Using MFP, I entered 15 minutes of exercise for the same 15 minute period, burning 12 calories. Instead of Fitbit logging me for 20 + 12 calories in that time frame, it erases the 20 cals and puts only 12 calories instead. So I "lose" the 20 cals from no exercise in place of 12 calories of exercise.

Since I found this, I've been logging my exercise calories into MFP, plus the "resting" calorie burn from Fitbit so that both apps are in sync. Hope this helps!
  • ElyseHerz
    ElyseHerz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also see NEGATIVE Fitbit calorie adjustments in your exercise diary. This means that if you burn fewer calories in Fitbit than MFP's resting burn rate, that your Fitbit is penalizing you.

For example, let's say MFP estimates that you burn 2,000 calories a day, given the activity level that you selected in your Diet Profile. Fitbit also tracks your calorie burn based on your steps. If Fitbit calculates that you're only going to burn 1,900 calories, then you will have a -100 exercise adjustment in your MFP diary.

When I look on my MFP diary and click on the Calorie Adjustment, it says "negative adjustments are disabled. You can update this setting on our website." My Fitbit's settings are set to not penalize me but it looks like your settings are. You may want to go to the Fitbit website and adjust this.

I've only had Fitbit for a few weeks. That's what I've learned so far from playing around with it.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Fitbit starts the day with your BMR as an estimated burn for the day until you get up and start moving around.

ETA: I am not sure why you have so much less on the days you were actually up and moving around.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Click the gear symbol in the upper right (like, on the toolbar-ish area alongside "Dashboard," "Log," etc)
    Select Settings.
    Scroll down the page to Preferences.
    Change the Calorie Estimation setting to Disable.

See if that helps. I suspect that you have calorie estimation enabled, and that when you didn't wear your Fitbit for a day it assumed you were still moving around and made a guess (based on....not sure what, age/weight/etc stats for sure, and I believe previous activity, but don't quote me on that) on how many calories you burned. Basically, it will potentially credit you for more NEAT calories (non-exercise, non-RMR calories) than you deserve. If you turn that off, it will only credit you with the calories it actually calculates that you burned, which, on a day with zero steps, will be your calculated RMR.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Are you logging additional exercise with MFP that then transfers over to Fitbit? What I noticed with mine is that when I log additional exercise, it overwrite the calories burned in Fitbit with the calories from MFP, instead of adding them together.

For example, Fitbit tells me I burn 20 calories in a 15 minute period with 0 steps. Using MFP, I entered 15 minutes of exercise for the same 15 minute period, burning 12 calories. Instead of Fitbit logging me for 20 + 12 calories in that time frame, it erases the 20 cals and puts only 12 calories instead. So I "lose" the 20 cals from no exercise in place of 12 calories of exercise.

Since I found this, I've been logging my exercise calories into MFP, plus the "resting" calorie burn from Fitbit so that both apps are in sync. Hope this helps!

The 20 calories you burn in 15 mins is what you burn just for being alive and breathing. So if you walked for 15 mins and fitbit says you burned 100 then you got 80 calories from exercise.
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    I also see NEGATIVE Fitbit calorie adjustments in your exercise diary. This means that if you burn fewer calories in Fitbit than MFP's resting burn rate, that your Fitbit is penalizing you.

For example, let's say MFP estimates that you burn 2,000 calories a day, given the activity level that you selected in your Diet Profile. Fitbit also tracks your calorie burn based on your steps. If Fitbit calculates that you're only going to burn 1,900 calories, then you will have a -100 exercise adjustment in your MFP diary.

When I look on my MFP diary and click on the Calorie Adjustment, it says "negative adjustments are disabled. You can update this setting on our website." My Fitbit's settings are set to not penalize me but it looks like your settings are. You may want to go to the Fitbit website and adjust this.

I've only had Fitbit for a few weeks. That's what I've learned so far from playing around with it.

Whether someone has negative calories adjustments enabled or not is totally personal preference, but I can't see that it has anything to do with the OP's question. I assumed she took those stats directly from the Fitbit website? Do correct me if I read it wrong, though.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Fitbit starts the day with your BMR as an estimated burn for the day until you get up and start moving around.

On the days when I had taken steps, FitBit says when not moving I burn 15 calories every 15 minutes. That calculates out to a BMR of 1440. But on the day of 0 steps taken, FitBit says when not moving I burn 21 calories every 15 minutes. Why is it raising my BRM on a day when there were no steps taken?
  • BarbieAS
    Options

On the days when I had taken steps, FitBit says when not moving I burn 15 calories every 15 minutes. That calculates out to a BMR of 1440. But on the day of 0 steps taken, FitBit says when not moving I burn 21 calories every 15 minutes. Why is it raising my BRM on a day when there were no steps taken?

I think I answered you? If you have calorie estimation enabled, then it's assuming that you WERE moving, and it credits you with additional calories. If you don't have that setting enabled, or disabling it doesn't help, then I would get in touch with the Fitbit staff.
  • GothyFaery
    Options
    Click the gear symbol in the upper right (like, on the toolbar-ish area alongside "Dashboard," "Log," etc)
    Select Settings.
    Scroll down the page to Preferences.
    Change the Calorie Estimation setting to Disable.

See if that helps. I suspect that you have calorie estimation enabled, and that when you didn't wear your Fitbit for a day it assumed you were still moving around and made a guess (based on....not sure what, age/weight/etc stats for sure, and I believe previous activity, but don't quote me on that) on how many calories you burned. Basically, it will potentially credit you for more NEAT calories (non-exercise, non-RMR calories) than you deserve. If you turn that off, it will only credit you with the calories it actually calculates that you burned, which, on a day with zero steps, will be your calculated RMR.

Thank you, I will try this and see how that works. Hopefully I won't have any more days of no movement in the near future though.
  • jadam6
    jadam6 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Did your weight change in those days? I don't know if it would make much difference but it's the only thing that came to my mind.
  • GothyFaery
    Options

I think I answered you? If you have calorie estimation enabled, then it's assuming that you WERE moving, and it credits you with additional calories. If you don't have that setting enabled, or disabling it doesn't help, then I would get in touch with the Fitbit staff.

Yes, you answered the question perfectly! I changed the settings like you said and now when I go back to the day of 0 steps, the calorie burn is at 1387. You are very wise indeed. Thank you so much!
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    Glad I could help! :flowerforyou:
  • jadam6
    jadam6 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks BarbieAs, that's interesting to know because I'm still learning about mine too.
    Glad it's been solved. xx