Im a Newbie!!!

Options
Hello MFP!! I have struggled with binge eating for quite a while now..i will eat everything in site just to either throw it up or keep it in thinking i will make up for it the next day....which never happens. I was very good at losing weight..i felt i was very healthy! i weighed close to 126 i did the 4 hour diet..i was happy with my weight and had just started maintaining..but unfortunatley my mother passed away and this turned my whole world upside down. I hate to use this as an excuse however i know this is the reason i am having a hard time. I have gained about 10 pounds since..i feel out of control i really hope i can find motivation and get support from you on mfp to get back into shape and stop this emotional binge eating!!!

Replies

• JeriLawrence
    Options
    Hey newbie, hang in there you can do this just take time to get your priorities in alignment. I know where your coming from, I lost my Mom a year ago. Since I never knew your Mom or don't "know' you i have to step out and just say that I think your Mom would want you to be totally happy with who you are and if losing those extra pounds will brighten your day then be careful what you eat. stay on track on be sure to log everything you eat. you'll get there.
  • nikkiloh
    nikkiloh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hello, i am a new member, and i learned of this website through a friend. hopefully, i will sick with this, it is so hard my first day i srewed up considerably and went over 1,000 calories. of course, i wanted to log out and say forget it, but i am reading posts and i am finding out i am not the only person with a struggle- thanks
  • hope1993
    Options
    i have used this site before and it worked very well!!
    i think just with the holidays and everything i got into the habit of binging and purging..it became a huge problem very quickly!!
    i honestly cannot afford to keep this up..so much food goes right into the toilet..my self esteem is continuing to decline...i have absolutely no social life..and i cannot imagine how much of a toll this habit has on my body! i hope we can keep eachother in check to kick these extra pounds to the curb!!
  • nikkiloh
    nikkiloh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YES GIRL, I KNOW HE STRUGGLES OF OVEREATING. SOMETIMES I CAN SIT AND SEE SOMETHING TO EAT ON TV AND JUST GO OUT AND GET IT. BUT I AM TRYING TO CONVERT THAT WAY OF THINKING TO SOMETHING ELSE AND DONT EAT ON IMPULSE OR WHEN I GET UPSET. I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO WHEN HESE THINGS HAPPEN
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    First of all WELCOME!
    Everything you say is so understandable. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I lost several loved ones one after the other - my father from cancer, my husband from bacterial meningitis, my mother inlaw 2 months after from heart attack, my brother inlaw from a stroke, then I found my brother who overdosed. After my husbands death, I was left a widow & my son of course kept asking where his daddy was. My husband & I loved our little family of 3. After he died, I started eating everything in site, and gained many pounds. I was almost 180 pounds, and I'm a petite woman.
    I cared - but I didn't - because I was in deep mourning, and overwhelmed with much, especially my son missing his daddy, and trying to comfort him. Once the funeral ended & was over for my husband, it seemed nobody was around & everything was black and white, and not pretty or colorful. Such is life I thought - then by the grace of God - I found this site this year, and it's one of the best places I find much comfort.
    Know we are all in this for the same reason - no matter what. This is a most compassionate site, the format is easy, and you will meet as many friends and much support as you want and need.
    It beats Facebook, Myspace or any of those other drama sites - because this is not a drama site but a friendly, no bashing, common-good site.
    I wish you luck. May the memories you and your mother shared together be of comfort to your heart. God bless you.
    (Add me as a buddy if you'd like. I'd love to hear from you!) My id is dnsrmr
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WELCOME to MFP!
    I think many many people on this site felt or feel exactly the way you describe.
    This site is a wonderful tool to help you remember what you ate the days before, and to help you cut out one or two foods or a serving here and there.
    Some people who are stilll on here wanted to quit too (I was one of them), but this site draws those of us who want the support and help this site has to offer - all for free.
    So many sites on the internet charge monthly, but this site is a blessing.
    Please stay, and continue to log your food. Do not be ashamed of yourself or if you went over your calorie count, especially if you're new to this - but track what you eat every single day.
    We all started the same way you are, and we all understand in our own way through experience.
    I'm a low carb eater. I have tried every diet out there, from liquid to solid, from overeating to not eating at all.
    The reason I decided to start eating low carb meals is I get to eat so much that I can't eat anymore - and I hop on the scale and am losing weight just like the Dr Atkins book & site said I would (www.atkins.com)
    I feel good and not slugglsh, I don't have to worry about counting anything else but carbohydrates.
    I try to stay around 20-30 carbs per day, and no matter what anyone says, it has helped me, it has taken away the binge eating, the feeling of being bloated all the time, and I now eat less because I'm always full from the previous meal.
    I drink a glass of water when I get up in the morning & in the evening. I also drink a glass of water before and after my 3 main meals, and this helps tremendously to stay full and hydrated and get my 8 glasses of water in per day little by little, and not all at once. I rarely eat after 7pm & if I do it's sugar free jello with whipped cream which are both low carb.
    Any way you choose to lose - know we are all going to be here for you, and this is a great site, not a drama site like Facebook, MySpace or the others out there. (I have a Facebook, but do not get involved with drama, just spirituality)
    Please please stay - don't be afraid to ask for help from me or anyone else - and hang out with the best bunch of people here on My Fitness Pal.
    Before you know it, you will have as many friends as you choose - and find great support and friendship in them as well.
    Good luck and God bless you.
    (Add me as a buddy if you'd like. I'd love to hear from you!) My ID is dnsrmr
  • nilisabel
    Options
    First of all, welcome! I'm glad to meet you all. Having read your posts I would say that it sounds like grief is a huge factor in emotional eating, I know I have struggled with it myself. I believe we all come into contact with one another at different times and in various ways for a reason. I think my reason for being up this late (randomly) and seeing these words from you now is so that I can say not only that I empathize and understand, but also to make sure you know that these issues should also be brought to the attention of a physician who can help. If you have such extreme symptoms please also seek professional help because a social network can provide additional support, but I think a doctor can help you first and best.