Advice for avoiding binges in trigger situations?

Options
Ok so it's the Easter holidays and I'm going to be surrounded by chocolate - my big weakness. Also loads of trigger situations. Today, the cinema - where I'm in the habit of going overboard on M&Ms etc. What are your tricks when you know you're entering a danger zone?

Replies

• Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Take a bottle of water and withdraw cash from a cash machine and make sure you only take the money you need for a cinema into the cinema with you. Give someone else the change and bank card and dont let them give it back to you. If you want to try self control what I do is ask myself how much I wanna not be fat anymore? In those situations I couldn't ever just have a couple, and it would always be the whole lot. This doesn't apply to my normal life but I know cinema for me = delusional eating. If you don't have the self control give someone the money. If you can control yourself you need to continually imagine yourself the way you want to be and I also choose to go and stand infront of something where I can see my reflection - I know I won't like it and it will spur me on to be good. I know it sounds crazy but bad food makes me crazy!!

Hannah :)
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Every holiday seems to use food to celebrate. I work retail and have to order and stock this freight daily. So I know what it is like to have it in your face all the time. I try to remember I have a long term goal. The chocolate smells great, but if I eat that, it is going to kill a large amount of my calories for the day. I don't want to be hungry all day. So I try to eat something that I get more bang for my buck on so to speak. Not to say that I don't occasionally make the wrong choice and give in to the craving, but I try to choose the better of the two evils. Maybe dark chocolate instead of milk... I am a jelly bean lover.... so this time of year is really hard for me too. I have not given in thus far. My long term goals have kept me on the right path.

As for the cinema, bring healthier snacks with you, and water. A big enough purse can hide a lot. lol If you want to splurge and have M&Ms, buy a single size bag at a store and bring it with you. If you absolutely have to have movie popcorn, which I do, just buy the smallest one. I have to decide what to sacrifice. and you will have to decide what works well for yourself too.

Good luck!
  • franch71
    franch71 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Luckily my motivation is high right now so I navigated the cinema ok. I stopped at the corner shop on the way, bought a teeny bag of M&Ms instead of a whopping cinema-size one, and counted that in. Next week the main challenge will be a few days at my parents' house, where comfort food and family stress (+ Easter treats of course) tend to create a toxic cocktail!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Last week I sneaked (snuck?) a protein bar into the theater. Good substitute for M&M's (my favorite as well).
  • KatMicNYC
    KatMicNYC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you allow your self an occasional splurge can't you make up for that with some under eating for the rest of the week? Let's imagine I was ready for that "maintenance diet" and my trigger is actually is airports, layovers, I don't do it often but let's say I'm traveling for work have an expense account and there are all the great looking eateries and bars. I pick like a TGI type place I have a couple beers (their wine is terrible) order something decadent, calculate on my phone I just consumed about 1800 calories for lunch. So now I'm at 2500 for the day, with dinner later at the hotel I end up getting to I'm at 3800 for the day. I just gained a half a pound. Next day I really watch it and stay at 1200 calories, my TDEE is about 1800, I've made up 600 of the 3800, I do that the rest of the week until I'm back to even again. No problem!! I'm trying to plan ahead, I know i will do this I just have to figure out how to erase it!