Ab workouts

Options
I have noticed that when I do my ab workouts, it seems like no matter what I do to hold my abs in tight, they always push out. It's pretty annoying because I'm trying so hard to have really good form, and the first few reps I do good, then the pooch flies out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hold the abs in better? Thanks

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    Doing ab workouts has nothing to do with sucking in your belly, your belly is a layer of fat over your abs. You need to contract your abs, tighten them up. This is a different feeling than sucking in or sticking out your belly.
  • stacey_smith
    Options
    If you don't have strong ab muscles right now it may take time and practice to hold them tight. Use this technique with all your exercises too, meaning if you're on the treadmill, try to keep your abs tight. A friend of mine has an impressive six pack and has never done crunches or sit ups! Also, focus on your breathing. Make sure you're exhaling as you come up when doing sit ups, this has a big impact too. The most important thing is... Don't give up!
  • nilisabel
    Options
    guess it just takes time, and little by little the abs get stronger and you can keep your tummy taut. I've been trying this sustained pushup position; like I lay flat and push up and try to keep my entire core tight for 20 seconds. Also I learned somewhere that women who have children might need to push in on the sides to close the gap in their abs and if it's that sort of thing you are talking about, you should check with your doctor about that. Anyway on my pushup I hold for up to a minute and I do three reps because I'm weak. I'll let you know when I get there what worked for me :)
  • kazzanelson
    kazzanelson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with not worrying about how it looks while doing crunches or whatever...just focus on using those muscles and as mentioned, good breathing and you will get stronger abs over time... mine still aren't great but I can feel the crunches (15 X3), leg raises(15x3) and the plank (1 min x2) I do have gotten easier after doing 3 x weekly for a couple of months... so I do a few more now! Good luck!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Agree with other replies. Abs are my (and most peoples) least favorite to work on but are SO important. Keep at it, like it or not, and you'll see progress. It has taken a yr, but now i can do 100+crunches, planks, various others and not be sore the rest of the day. But remember, challenging is good but pain is not. If something starts really hurting than stop. Best regards!