Anyone Know Anything About Sugar Free Bread?

Options
I buy all of my bread from a small bakery in my town. I mostly purchase rye bread, but they were out when I was in this week and they suggested their sugar free french roll. Now normally I don't eat white bread, but she had me intrigued by the sugar free part. I have done some quick searching and can't find anything on it. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about sugar free bread?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Bread has a little bit of sugar to feed the yeast that makes it rise. If it has no sugar, it was probably leavened by other means. I don't think it's going to make a huge difference calorie wise, if that's what you're wondering.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I make my own french bread and I only add about a tablespoon of sugar to help the yeast along - although you can make it without sugar at all.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was wondering on overall general nutritional value, calories and anything else! lol
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well this is most disappointing news, the damn loaf was so delicious I wanted it to be significantly healthier than my rye bread! A tablespoon is really nothing in the grand scheme of things so I think I will return to the rye read! Thanks!