Calling all Female Lifters

Options
I used to belong to a gym, but I never went so I cancelled the membership (I've never particularly enjoyed going anyway). Can I get decent results from lifting at home with minimal equipment? Because of space restraints I wouldn't be able to get much...obviously I wouldn't have a squat rack, among other things.

What basic weights would I need to have in order to make my efforts worthwhile?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    body weight progression sounds like a better option than trying to collect a mish mash of equipment.

otherwise I'd say squat rack and barbell really if you want to lift heavy.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If space where an issue I'd look into getting either adjustable dumbbells or a TRX. Subject to what many people on here will have you believe, you can get stronger without the use of barbells and a squat rack.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    body weight progression sounds like a better option than trying to collect a mish mash of equipment.

otherwise I'd say squat rack and barbell really if you want to lift heavy.

^ This.

I have a barbell set with the squat rack attached. It's not tiny but my two car garage still holds all my tools, one of my cars, a bunch of various lumber and my lifting equipment.

Edit: because I didn't before I pressed 'post'
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Going with just dumbbells would work. Purchase a set of 15, 20, 25 etc..( i know, $$) Use for chest flies, overhead press, squats, dead lifts, lots of and isolation moves can be done with dumbbells. Of course increasing weight is key! And of course bodyweight exercise! And eat all the foodz!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Going with just dumbbells would work. Purchase a set of 15, 20, 25 etc..( i know, $$) Use for chest flies, overhead press, squats, dead lifts, lots of and isolation moves can be done with dumbbells. Of course increasing weight is key! And of course bodyweight exercise! And eat all the foodz!

Silly to ask but when I've seen so many say that phrase "eat all the foods", so I was wondering if that means eat anything you like or a surplus?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a small room to workout in.

I have a "small" squat rack my husband built and a bench that is constantly being moved (pain but worth it)

Just have to do what cha gotta do.

Yes I have hit my wall a couple times with my bars but eh...they are hard...

Oh and I have padding on the floor as well.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You can if you've got $$$$ and I'm talking about buying something beyond dumbbells. If your wallet is really tight lipped, do body weight exercises

If you can live with dumbbells go for it. I need a squat rack.
  • chickenchaser78
    chickenchaser78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you look around online there are lots of great body weight programs that can kick your butt really well. I even started off small but have accumulated a small gym's worth over time. I even turned an old backpack into a sand bag. I have 3 lb sand weights that I weighted/measured so I can change the weight of the pack.

Nerdfitness.com has some really great routines that doesn't require much equipment at all/or are body weight.