Type 1 Diabetic Taking Control

Options
I'm new to this whole sharing thing, but I've heard it's the best way to get the best results, so here goes. I'm 25 years old, and I'm just getting back into taking care of my body after having done very little for the past 5 years at least. I used to be active through high school and into college, but that pretty much stopped. I did a little bit of running last fall, but the weather got crummy and I didn't follow through. Now, my initial motivation to start was to support my fiance, who is in the Air National Guard and has to pass her PT test next month (1.5 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups). She's not done much fitness training lately either, so getting in shape for that is enough of a challenge.

But I also realized I can use this opportunity to take control of my health beyond this. I've been slowly putting on weight for years, and now I am ready to start losing it. Besides, I want to look good for our wedding pictures in September. But the part of my life that I really need to take control of is my diabetes. I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 5 years old - 20 years now, and for the past 8 years or so, I've had poor control. I know what I need to do, and how to do it, I've just not followed through. For the past year or two, my A1C has been over 10, and it's time for that to change. It's not even been a week yet, so it's a very small sample size, but my blood sugar average is already better than it's been in quite some time.

So this is my public declaration of my intention to lose weight, get in better shape, and take control of my blood sugar. Has anyone else really "turned a corner" through fitness? Got any advice or experiences? I welcome support and encouragement, particularly of other diabetics.

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, I guess. I don't have any health problems. But I wanted to respond to your post and say congratulations on embracing your responsibility for your health. Type 1 diabetes is very serious; I applaud your determination to get it under control. Good luck with getting it all together!
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    hello!! i am a fellow type 1 since age 7!!
    I have strict control and love MFP for the cab and fiber counts on my meals! Wishing you well on your journey!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You are on the right path. I was recently diagnosed type 2 and I am taking control of my life. Good carbs, fiber and exercise. Good luck!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 2 diabetic and have been able to get off insulin by losing weight, diet and exercise. Next step is to get off the one oral medication I'm still on.

I recommend 'Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars' The author is a physician who is a Type 1 diabetic. He talks about the specific effects various kinds of food and exercise have on the diabetic metabolism. He is an advocate of a LC/HF diet. I do not follow his diet plan, but there is a lot of good information in the book. It is worth getting from your local library.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    I'm a T1 diagnosed much later in life- as in my 60th birthday present. Had been using MFP prior to Dx to lose a bit of my winter hibernation / one with the couch weight. It is a great tool for counting carbs, fiber, protein and fat so you can control your BGs. Being able to dose for meals prior to eating rather than chasing after highs can make a big difference in your control as well as your weight loss.
    I will say that knowledge is power. Checking out the user forum/ boards at Tudiabetes.org and Diabetes.org helped a lot in my traveled. My big eye opener was getting a Dexcom G4 CGM. It let me see in realtime what my food choices did to my numbers. While I'm currently pumping with a tslim, the dexcom helped me get under control with MDI. And has been a very important tool for my day to day struggles. It has helped me get to an A1c of 5.5 with out going low.

Good references to review Think Like A Pancreas, Using Insulin, or Pumping Insulin depending on your current treatment modality. Also a help is the Diabetic Athlete Handbook, as you pull in the activity factor.

Best of luck in your new adventure. Kudos in supporting your spouse in her endevors. Just remember this is one day at a time, one meal at a time, one activity at a time. And what works in the AM May not work in the PM, but with good tracking of food, activity and dosing you will be able to achieve your goals.

You CAN do this!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type 2 in December. With diet and exercise changes, my last A1C was under 6. :happy: My doc was amazed in my fast improvement. I tell you this to make the point that you CAN do this. You CAN better manage your sugars and live a long life without suffering from side effects of the disease. Good luck!
  • smontgomery55
    Options
    I am type 1 for 14 years now and am In the same boat! Feel free to add me!