What's on your Trader Joe's grocery list? Food Staples?

Options
Hello All,

Wondering what your food staples are at TJ's in particular as that is where I shop. Please feel free to leave recipes and calorie amounts. I get bored with eating the same meal all the time so I am always looking for easy recipes that use what I already have in the fridge. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like their wild sockeye salmon, and sometimes they have flights of dark chocolate from different areas of the world.
  • daytolive
    daytolive Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Albacore tuna (canned)
    Spinach
    Celery
    Olives (canned)
    Fresh Wild Cod
    chicken(uncooked)
    White turkey (uncooked)
    Romaine Lettuce
    Crushed tomatoes (canned)
    Black/kidney beans(canned)
    Quinoa (frozen)
    Nut butters (almond and peanut)
    Nuts (all kinds)
    Greek plain Yogurt
    hummus
    Gluten free bagels (sometimes)
    Salmon(lox)
    corn tortillas
    avocado
    capers
    lemon
    Eggs (egg whites)

This usually makes:
    1 night of turkey chili
    2 night of some type of chicken dish (curried,chicken salad,or lemon chicken with capers)
    1 night of baked cod tacos
    Plus salads :)

Snacks:
    Celery with hummus,avocado or nut butters
    yogurt with honey
    Olives (any kind)

I don't buy ready to eat foods (unless I'm really lazy). :)
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lots of their frozen fish (fillets and burgers) as well as some of their fresh/seasoned fish - the cajun salmon and the hazelnut/pecan salmon fillets are both really good.
    Smoked salmon
    Chevre
    Usually a prepared salad or two to take to work - I like the Miso Salmon and the Shrimp/Surimi Louie
    Eggs
    Avocados
    I often get their chopped vegetables - makes dinner preparation so much faster!: kale, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, onion
    Almond butter
    Black Beans
    Soups: I like the Spicy Latin Black Bean soup and the Tomato soup
    Power Crunch protein bars
    Usually a couple frozen entrees for nights I don't have time to make something - their Reduced Guilt line is good
    Coffee

I'm a fan of creating a big bowl of food to eat for dinner. Like last night, I took a bunch of the chopped veggies and a fish fillet, cooked those up, then added them to a cup of the black bean soup, and topped it all with a spoonful of plain greek yogurt and some avocado. So I have this yummy chunky soup with lots of veggies and fish chunks - a huge bowl of it - for like, 400 calories.
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I love my simple trader joes meals.

I get about 4-5 different types of frozen mixed veggies per week. Also frozen chopped spinach and broccoli Great for when i don't feel like chopping.

Frozen blueberries and raspberries - for yogurt and oatmeal.

Fresh fruit and veggies, depending on mood / what's available. Not the best nor the cheapest and I don't like the packaging but I get them for convenience sometimes.

Love the jars of Masala simmer sauce and the curry sauce (red one not the creamy green stuff). Pretty low calorie if you stick to one or so servings. Put in a pan with mixed frozen veggies and whatever protein (for me - garbanzo beans, tofu, seitan, tempeh...sometimes fish or shrimp but I don't get much seafood at TJ). Can get a meal this way for 300-400 cals.

Shrimp Gyoza - I believe I can have about 6 of them plus a bunch of veggies (usually the frozen mixed), in oil for <500 calories and very satisfying.

Containers of egg whites, whole eggs*, light feta cheese, plus some of the frozen broccoli and/or spinach = high protein low cal awesomeness. When really in a rush i microwave it, super easy. Small filling meal (for me) for ~200 - 300 cals.

*I do pay kind of a premium for free range eggs and TJ's has the best free range (pastured) eggs I have found for a good price. Honestly they taste as good as the fresh eggs from my chickens. My lazy chickens aren't keeping up production so I buy these when I need to.

Low fat Greek plain yogurt. TJ brand is okay, I prefer Fage but I buy TJ on occasion for convenience and price.

TJ extra firm organic tofu (it is repackaged Wildwood tofu...the best tofu). Also tempeh.

Cans of tuna mixed with chopped celery and hummus (TJ brand hummus "Mediterranean", very good).

Fresh brussel sprouts - roasted in olive oil. Seriously the most satiating vegetable ever.

Almonds, almond butter, almond milk.

Instant oatmeal - the one with whey protein added, I think called "Complete".

Low fat cheeses. Full fat cheeses.

Sweet potatoes.

Lotsa lettuce.

I hate their bread selection although I don't eat much bread. In a pinch I get the whole wheat pita, otherwise i get the 100 calorie One Buns somewhere else for my weekly tuna fix.

Oh and of course Bulleit Rye bourbon, wine, Racer 5 IPA and Trader Jose's Light Beer (rebranded corona light, $4.99 / six pack). Gotta have some vices. Sometimes I mix a splash of IPA or Lambic's Raspberry beer (surprisingly low calorie stuff) in with the light beer to make it taste like something without a big calorie hit.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The closest TJ's to me is 70 miles, so I go every few months and stock up. My favorite thing I get there is their strawberry vanilla Greek yogurt. It's full fat, so it's definitely not low calorie, but it's a delicious indulgence. I also love their garlic hummus.

Quinoa is cheaper there than any of the stores close to me, so I always stock up. I also get staples like lentils, Israeli couscous, and brown rice. Their granola cereal is great mixed with yogurt (the ginger cashew is my favorite).

I still have a lot of things in the freezer to try, but I really liked the southwestern chicken quesadillas (less than 400 calories, if I remember right, and it was very filling). I'm looking forward to trying the masala veggie burgers, superfood pilaf (kale, quinoa, and sweet potato), and the veggie samosas. I need to take a second cooler with me next time I go, because the frozen fish and seafood prices were great.

I'm looking forward to trying the simmer sauces that yubafarm mentioned. I get a different brand for about double the price, so I'm hoping TJ's is just as good. I was thrilled to find smoked paprika for $1.99 a jar, since I paid over $5 for McCormick last time I bought it.

Things I got last time that I didn't like were fresh tortellini and mushroom ravioli (they weren't bad, but they weren't anything special) and their brand of K-cups (way too weak for me).

I'm so hoping Harrisburg, PA, gets a Trader Joe's eventually! I love it enough to travel to one, but it would be great to have one nearby.
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    just got back from TJ's!

i love their frozen tilapia filets
    baby spinach
    kale
    sweet potatoes
    cut fruit (mangoes, pineapple, cantaloupe)
    berries
    reduced guilt greek yogurt spinach and kale dip
    organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
    sparkling water (i love the orange one, great for cocktails as well)
    pomegranate vinegar (great for salad dressing)
    rainbow peppercorns
    coffee (columbia supremo)
    nonfat plain greek yogurt
    whole wheat tuscan pane
    reduced sugar strawberry preserves
    dark chocolate covered almonds

i make a lot of salads, a lot of lean meats with some veggies on the side. i make sandwiches and usually eat those with a granny smith apple. i make chicken like, every which way possible and usually eat it with a sweet potato and leafy green side. enjoy!!!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cookie butter
    Almond butter
    Broccoli (love their frozen broccoli )
    Avocado
    85% cocoa dark chocolate bar
    Coffee
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    cookie..... butter.............

also their frozen dessert section is heaven on earth
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    We don't have Trader Joe's in Canada but everytime I go across the line I stop in to buy their less guilt spinach/kale dip.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Nice to see a TJ shopping list thread up again!:wink:

I'll be back around with my TJ loves later.:love:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Nut butters most of all
    Honey roasted sliced almonds (love these in full-fat yogurt with fresh fruit!)

Frozen foods for convenience:
    Chicken gyoza
    Chimichurri rice
    Biryani rice
    Seasoned eggplant/zucchini
    Shepard's pie (because my husband hates pot roast, so this is a nice substitute for just me!)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Those Coconut Chips they have. I could eat them everyday.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I loved the tahini sauce, you can put it in meat and also salads, it adds a delish flavor and i can also put it on salads in lieu of ranch dressing. its yummy on chicken.
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wasabi roasted seaweed. They're only 60 calories a pack and super delicious.
    Pomegranate Seeds (the easier - and lazier- way to do things)
    Watermelon, if I'm there. It's cheaper sometimes elsewhere but really good here
    Flax meal and chia seeds

Looking at these lists I'm seeing a bunch of new reasons to go Trader Joe's. *drool*
  • WendyMc71
    WendyMc71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Frozen organic brown rice (1 bag = 2 servings, perfect for my husband and me when I cook a stir-fry).
    Cannellini and garbanzo beans
    Curry simmer sauce
    String cheese
    All their frozen veggies, especially the red/green/yellow pepper blend
    Baked blue corn chips

They also have some great meat substitutes (we're not vegetarian but we just like to cook meat-free most of the time—it's easier not having to plan and to thaw things, etc. We like the Sausage-less Italian sausage and Chicken-less chicken strips

One of my favorite dishes is to cut the Sausage-less Italian Sausage into chunks and saute with thin onion and garlic slices in a little bit of olive oil until everything browns a bit, then add a can of diced tomatoes, drained/rinsed cannelini beans, oregano and basil, and simmer a few minutes, then add an entire bunch of kale leaves (torn from stalks and rinsed) and toss it with the saute until it's bright green and a little wilted. Season with pepper, serve hot. Makes 4 servings, about 370 calories each.
  • siewage
    siewage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That sounds soooooooo good.
  • WendyMc71
    WendyMc71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also try using the indian curry simmer sauce with sauteed veggies and beans and then serve it over steamed kale. My fave combo is onions + a can of drained garbanzos + can of diced tomatoes + simmer sauce + a small handful of raisins.

(If you're watching your sodium you could sub the canned beans and tomatoes for soaked cooked beans and fresh tomatoes.)