Veggies, Do you weigh them?

Options
lsorci919
lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
Having a debate on whether you should weigh things like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, ect... I'm for weighing it all, for accuracy purposes.

Just wondering how many of my fellow MFPers weigh their veggies?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I weigh them. It's hard to get Brussels sprouts to fit in a cup.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Weigh it all
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? They have calories so they get weighed
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Usually, but not always. Depends on the situation, but the majority of the time yes.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Of course. If I eat it, it gets weighed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything that I can ….
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weigh by ounces, grams and measure by cup as not always easy to find which way it is listed. Also some things settle and don't measure what they should weigh; things like pasta and cereals
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure them and I am still losing 2 pounds a week so I am not worried about it.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything but was having a debate and the argument was that their calories are so low that a guestimation was fine. I argued that when creating a smaller deficit, accuracy matters.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Only calorically dense ones - peas, corn, potatoes. It's just not worth weighing lettuce. Last time I did it was three calories worth.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Some veggies are more calorie dense than I expected. I also weigh, so as I can come back toward then end of the week and count up the total weight of fruits and veggies, which i log in 80g portions form my own record.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. They are carbs.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Usually yes. There are a few times when I don't weigh them....like if I put a little bit of lettuce on my sandwich or in my wrap. Or if I pop a baby carrot in my mouth as a quick little snack...because honestly I am not going to fuss about not logging that 5 calorie carrot.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am strick and I weigh them. Just sometimes I skip with green leafy salad. I "eye-measure" the grams as it doesn't have many calories or carbs :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Nope, other than the starchy ones.

A pound of broccoli (the vegetable I eat most of) is about 120 calories. Even if the one-pound bag is off by 20%, that's an error of less than 25 calories. Similar reasoning applies to spinach, celery, etc. It's just not worth my time.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    I weigh potatoes and the like - but if I eat half a carrot I just log it as half a carrot and I never weigh lettuce and I don't even weigh most fruit - I just log a medium mandarine as a medium mandarine.

Sure, this may make my calorie total out by, say, 20 or so calories - but I really don't think that matters.

Some people like to be totally accurate to the nth degree - but more or less accurate has worked fine for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I weigh and track all my fruits and veg, and not just for calorie purposes. I also track my vitamins and fiber, and I have to pay attention to make sure I get all my servings in.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. My scales are a permanent fixture in the kitchen now. I weigh not only to monitor my calories but also to keep my portions controlled.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I weigh them, absolutely.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I weigh them all. It isn't difficult as I just put my dish on the scale, zero it out, add an item, zero it again, etc. Get weights for each item quickly.

It doesn't add time to prep and keeps me accurate and honest with myself.