i don't consume 1200 calories a day

Options
I never kept track of how much calories i consume . I am losing weight after my doctor told me , i have high sugar levels. After keeping track of my calories , i realized i do not eat much . i am always eating fewer calories than i thought i am . If i am consuming few caloires , why do i weigh so much ?
I am sorry if i sound stupid but i don't know anything about how calories work :( mfp is always telling me , i consume less than 1200 and it is not good
My weight , height and age : 156 . 5'1 .18

Replies

• DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    6a0105364db45b970c010536d77050970b-800wi.jpg
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    same face i was making lol ...> i would suspect your eating too less you say you dont even eat atleast 1200 calsperday...
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to eating 1400 calories a day at the very least of whole, unprocessed foods if you want to lose weight. Eat more on days when you work out.

Search through the forums for more information, or just google it! :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Here are a few very useful posts to read carefully:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

When you finish those, take a look at some of the others linked from this page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Once you have read and thought about those, come back to the forums for more advice. But I'd really advise joining the "Eat, Train, Progress" group and asking for advice there, rather than in the general forums:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a digital scale and weigh out your portions....since I've started doing this, I've seen better progress. Proteins typically are higher calories, perhaps try adding some protein to your daily food intake? Even something as simple as a protein shake.....?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I never kept track of how much calories i consume . I am losing weight after my doctor told me , i have high sugar levels. After keeping track of my calories , i realized i do not eat much . i am always eating fewer calories than i thought i am . If i am consuming few caloires , why do i weigh so much ?
    I am sorry if i sound stupid but i don't know anything about how calories work :( mfp is always telling me , i consume less than 1200 and it is not good
    Simple--either you have some medical reason that has caused you to gain weight or you are eating more calories than you realize.

The most common reason is the latter.
  • hiraafridi
    Options
    Simple--either you have some medical reason that has caused you to gain weight or you are eating more calories than you realize.

i hope :)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't consume 1200 calories a day either...

I consume way more.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't consume 1200 calories a day either...

I consume way more.

This
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

i hope :)
    You hope which?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I consume about 1250 a day on average. I'm 5' 2", and 160 lbs, 41 years old, female, losing about 1.5 lbs a week on average. I walk briskly for about an hour a day, and weigh pretty much everything I consume (OK, maybe not lettuce..)

I didn't really know how much was actually going in until I started to weigh it, and it's just much easier to understand what's going on when you have solid data in front of you. Hence all the comments about weighing your food, at least for a few days so you get a consistent idea.

I've learned not to freak out about responses from others that consume 1900 calories daily etc., or tell others that 1200 is not enough calories to survive on. They are usually more active than I am and taller. I never realized how much difference height makes to caloric needs until I played around with the calculators for Basal Metabolic Rate. It's significant.