exercise and loose/excess skin...

Options
Hey sorry if this seems gross.ha. I have an 18 month old lb and have been left with loose /excess stomach skin from pregnancy. I am currently trying to lose weight to get back down to my my pre pregnancy weight, or be heavier but "in shape"
Are there any people out there who have suffered with the problem with loose skin, amd were you able to combat it using exercise. If so, how. And if not then please say as I do notwosh to have false hope of getting a beach body that im proud of
Thanks x

Replies

• kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Exercise DOESN'T cause skin to retract. It's going to be individual results based on age, how much one gained, skin elasticity, genetics and patience. It may take up to a year or so for skin to retract even if weight loss happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 mo old (who was 10 lbs at birth) and do have loose tummy skin but I'm noticing it get better with time. Just eat healthy and exercise and give yourself time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Only time or surgery can retighten skin after a pregnancy or rapid weight loss.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Or even sometimes non rapid weight loss. I was just fat for a very long time. I have a six pack with a big old skin flap, still like it better then when it was full of fat.
  • realtonileigh
    Options
    Thanks guys im just hoping it does retract :( I feel disgusting aha
  • winonavampire
    winonavampire Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing a bit a ago and some people suggested moisturizing your skin with coconut oil. I have no idea if it is helping but it smells good!
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find building muscle throughout your whole upper body helps. It doesn't make it go away put it fills it in a little better.
  • Idefinenichelle
    Idefinenichelle Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Hey it all depends on the age and genetics of the person. You seem like a really young girl so just give your body some time to shrink back as much as it possibly can. Make healthy food choices and get your sweat on a regular basis and see what happens.

I have a friend that lost over 100 lbs and her skin was "squishy" for a while but her nutritionist told her to eat well, exercise (a lot of core workouts) AND stay well hydrated because hydration is important for her skin to bounceback and lo and behold...her skin shrunk! She doesn't have washboard abs but she is a lot happier being "soft" than when she was 100 lbs overweight.

I'm hoping my skin will bounce back as well. I'm hopefull.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing and so find it disgusting. I am the smallest I have ever been (barring childhood).
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My son is 4.5 years old and I have been maintaining my weight loss for a year now. I have a bunch of loose skin from being pregnant. You eventually get used to it, but most likely it will never completely tighten back to what you used to be.
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys im just hoping it does retract :( I feel disgusting aha

I dint have advice because I' haven't lost anything yet and I dont know what it's like to have a beach body and then have a baby...but with that being said - I really hope that u have patience with yourself and, while you're working on getting your body the way you want it, learn to not be bothered by the skin because it came from a wonderful experience. I know it sounds cliche but it's so true. The pooch I have from my son doesn't bother me..it's the fat I have from eating that bothers me. Everyone knows that having a baby changes you regardless of how thin or fit you are..embrace it :) and good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!