Underweight but healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    How are you so sure your 'hitting your calorie and nutritional needs' if your underweight? You need to discuss this with a doctor. If you are going off of bmi....overweight is one of the terms that should be taken lightly because some people with a good bit of muscle who are far from overweight are considered 'overweight' according to bmi since it's just based off height and weight. However, if it's saying your underweight then your underweight or very close. My suggestion is to find a nutritionist or some other professional. I can't give advice since I am not certified in that area yet but I would definitely want to be at least at the 'healthy' range on bmi. And aiming for the lowest possible number on the healthy range isn't good either. Sounds like something that will just lead you down the path to an eating disorder if you don't already have one. Thats exactly how I got sucked into it.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It is possible to be "underweight" by the standard charts and be healthy.
    Those charts are based on averages. They can't take into account all the important factors such as frame size and muscle:fat ratio, any special vitamin needs, etc.
    However, it is not good to take advice on medical issues from a bunch of strangers, most of whom don't have medical training or professional nutritional counseling experience on the Internet.
    Given what you say about your previous eating issues, I'd guess that you are not healthy at your current weight. But I don't know. You ran down your body with an eating disorder and still haven't gotten up into the standard weight range, and you felt the need to ask, so I expect you haven't made up the nutritional needs yet. See your doctor, check on things that are especially important for someone in late teens and still developing. (Yes, even after you reach your full height, bones, brain and other parts of your body are not done yet.)
    Good luck!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Read my blogs on here--might help a little.

Please dont be offended by my post-i only mean to help. My perspective is that your mind is still somewhat distorted for you to ask this question. Deep down inside you know it isn't healthy for you to maintain your current weight. You could EFFORTLESSLY add 500 calories by adding 2 tbsp oil, 1 oz nuts, and avocado to your day--but you havent. You are choosing to stop at this weight and want validation--I've been there and done that but in the end you are only harming yourself. The way i see it is that you currently have one foot in the door of recovery and one out. You have to commit to being HEALTHY and not just a certain weight or the very minimum acceptable weight. Your initial question alone gives me reason to believe that your mind is not completely out of that negative place so I encourage you to continue gaining.
  • nmolate21
    Options
    BMI values are pretty skewed. I am 5'4" and weigh 95 lbs. I am fairly healthy: meaning I work out at an above average rate (considering how much the average American works out), am moderately healthy diet-wise, but still consume some "unhealthy" food and drink beer and wine. However, I try to balance these things with a balanced diet of healthy nutrient-dense foods and moderate levels of work-out, considering I'm on my feet a lot anyway (I am a waitress, and am on the go a lot). I have NEVER had an obsession with losing weight, and I have never dieted. All of my blood work came back VERY normal, and my doctor told me to "keep up the fitness and good work". I just want to gain a few pounds for my own personal fitness goals, and the desire to be physically stronger. This goes to show BMI measurements are not necessarily a good indicator of health, and if this girl eats well and exercises, she's probably in pretty great overall health. So to all of you people condemning this girl for being "underweight", it's highly likely that, if she is in fact in speedy recovery from her past eating disorder, she's probably in a much healthier state than you are. Many of you who are "overweight" (and I don't mean bodybuilder type of "overweight") could stand to take a few health related tips. Aaaaand, off my soapbox.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Go by how you feel. Obviously extremes at either end of the spectrum will be unhealthy, but the human body has more genetic variations in a given population than what is encouraged under the BMI scale.

At 4'11" and 97 pounds I felt weak, craving, freezing all the time, and susceptible to colds / flu. I was not even underweight. But my body was sending me warning signs. I quickly boomeranged up a about 10 pounds in a month after the sudden onset of a two - week fever, a month of weakness in the limbs, and near constant food cravings.

Even though I did not look super skinny at a BMI of 19 - I certainly did not feel good.

But genetics vary. I once had a roommate in college who was 5'6" and less than 100 pounds. She was springy, energetic, never dieted, happy, and went mountain hiking as a hobby.

Is there any medical reason for you to gain weight aside from the slightly lower BMI number ? How do you feel ?