Heart rate all over the place.. :/

Options
Ok so...Yesterday while I was exercising I was doing some interval training cardio and after running at my highest speed I checked my HR with the machine like I always do and it said 119!! I freaked out and let go and rechecked it after about a minute and it was the same. Then anther minute or two later it was 140...I just went hone after that bc I was worried. So today I decided to do just light exercise, I get on the treadmill and automatically check it, 123 (probably from walking/light jog here) and as I start walking...119. Put it a notch higher..fluctuating from 107 to 110. Now I'm scared to work out!
:/
Anyone else ever have this problem? Having lupus makes me worry about my heart.
:(

And just fyi.usually when I run its anywhere from 165- 180 depending on how fast and how long I run.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Isn't your heart rate meant to go up when you exercise?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When did you start running? Your body adapts quickly to running, and as your cardiovascular system gets more fit, and your muscles develop more capillaries, your heart rate will start to get lower at the same intensity of effort.

That won't explain a drop from 165-180 down into the 105-140 range, though. A few possibilities:

1. Is the machine giving you an accurate readout? Are you using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, or one of the built-in monitors on the treadmill that gets a readout from your hands? If it's the latter, it could be that the machine is malfunctioning; if you use your own HRM, it's possible that something is interfering with it. My HRM often gives very high readings in cold weather until the band and the area of the shirt around it get wet - it has read as high as 240, under moderate effort, even though the last time I tested my maximum HR it was 192.

You can do a quick check: count your heartbeats for 6 seconds, then multiply by 10. That will give you your heart rate to the nearest multiple of 10.

2. Are you feeling fatigued and like exercise is harder than usual? That could be a symptom of overtraining; another symptom is difficulty getting your heart rate up into the intense zone. If that's the case, you need rest, and at most light exercise.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I would say unless you were feeling weird the machine is funky
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Ignore the machine and just check your pulse using a watch. Treadmills can give really ridiculous results at times. Mine insists the last 6 months my heart rate is between 70-100, when in reality it is usually around 140-160.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think it's the machine--they can be very idiosyncratic. Sometimes I can't get any HR at all, and I know I'm not dead! It can be hard to maintain the proper level of contact with the machine sensors to send an accurate signal, especially during vigorous exercise.

I wear a HR monitor--much more accurate and allows me to not have to hold the handles awkwardly.

That being said, with your condition you have more of a reason to be alert than most of the rest of us. Maybe stop by urgent care and double check everything?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why does it worry you? I have no idea what my heart rate is and I think while exercising yours sounds fine. If you feel ok it doesn't really matter.
  • Shara
    Shara Posts: 2
    Options
    rightaboutmeow, I am almost 100% sure it's the machine giving you false numbers. Those readings are not to be counted on. The best way to keep track of your heart rate is with a good Heart rate monitor watch with chest strap. I have an excellent one by Polar. It tells me my heart rate, calories burned based on my age, weight. It's very accurate. Hope this helps!
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied.
    :)
    Yes I was using the handles but they are what I always use and just have never done that before is why I was concerned. But honestly I think you guys are right and chances are it's the machine. I want to get a polar actually and it's on my list but right now it's just not in the budget.
    I guess for now I'll just use the old fashioned method and not worry as long as I'm feeling ok. Took a light exercise day today and go to light/moderate tomorrow. Definitely still going to mention it to my dr though just to be safe. You guys are awesome. Thank you! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied.
    Yes I was using the handles but they are what I always use and just have never done that before is why I was concerned. But honestly I think you guys are right and chances are it's the machine. I want to get a polar actually and it's on my list but right now it's just not in the budget.
    I guess for now I'll just use the old fashioned method and not worry as long as I'm feeling ok. Took a light exercise day today and go to light/moderate tomorrow. Definitely still going to mention it to my dr though just to be safe. You guys are awesome. Thank you! :)

A number of things can interfere with your contact with the HR sensors.
  • infinitesum
    Options
    I've had machines give me really bizarre numbers before. In those instances, I do a quick manual check to make sure I'm still ticking as expected and so far, it's always been the machine that was mis-reading (even if it read correctly 5 minutes before and will do so again in another 5 minutes).
  • rightaboutmeow
    Options
    So I guess my next logical question would have to be...
    Anyone know where to get a good deal on a HRM? :)
  • AnnieRN6
    AnnieRN6 Posts: 48
    Options
    When the machines at the gym measure "heart rate", they are not actually measuring the rate for an entire minute to give an actual "beats per minute" measurement. They are measuring the rate for literally one second, and then stating what the average would be if your activity remained absolutely consistent for the next minute. The rate will literally go up by a few beats if you raise your arms a bit higher while walking on the treadmill, and the rate will go down if you keep your arms at your side. Your heartrate will change depending on how fast/slow you breathe, or how high you raise you knees when you walk, or even if you turn your head. Your heartrate is not actually changing by many beats per minute as you exercise; it varies naturally as you exercise.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    The machine heart rates are often not that accurate. Frankly 119 for following sprints is not that high, nor is 140 unless you are fairly old. I just did a 45 minute bike ride and my average HR was 147 with a max of 160 as a 47 year old. That is pretty typical unless I am riding hills then the max will be much higher.

I would suggest a polar HRM with a chest strap, although I think all of them have one I'm not sure. It will give you a continuous HR for your whole workout.

As to your HR and your Lupus, I would suggest speaking with your doctor and asking if there is anything you need to watch for. I doubt many people here have the knowledge to speak on that specific issue, but with the inaccuracy of the heart rates taken on the machine I would not worry that your HR is bouncing all over.
  • rightaboutmeow
    Options
    Thank you.
    More so I was worried bc 119 is so low, my HR is usually much higher (160~180) after sprints and that's why I panicked. Definitely talking to my doc and I'm looking around for the best place to buy a HRM.
    I've decided I want a polar ft7.

Today the treadmills were still acting a little off but the elliptical seems to be a bit more accurate. Either way, I pushed through my anxiety about it and got in my workout. Yay! Hopefully once I get harm though it will ease my mind completely.
  • rightaboutmeow
    Options
    Wow! I didn't know even something that simple could make it change! Good to know! Thank you. :)
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I got mine from heartratemonitorsusa.com several years ago. It's a Polar something or other. Google to see if there are coupons to use for the website as well.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'd try another machines. I know at my PF, I've noticed not all machines are created equally....lol. I typically have an idea what my HR should be based on my exertion.....hehe. and sometimes the handles detect HR and sometimes they don't then they switch to manual for no detected HR.......

I got a cheap HR Monitor with strap from walmart, It was a sportline generic and it seems to be working great.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Already answered.