Can someone help me??

Options
I'm trying to lose 20 pounds in 4 months. I have gained 20 pounds since August 2013. At first I thought I gained it all from a 9 day cruise I went on in August but recently I found out I have a thyroid problem which makes me gain weight. On top of that, I'm on medication which has the side effects of gaining weight. I've been cutting down the last few weeks (I don't eat rice anymore, I only drink water, etc.) but I need more help. What should I eat everyday? It's hard to eat healthy in a Filipino home because of all the fried stuff and rice.. But any suggestions for a quick fix? I'm also joining the gym next week. What should I do and for how long?

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    move more, eat less. log every single thing you eat. You can eat fried stuff and rice all day long, but as long as you stay within your calorie goals you will lose weight. That being said, I like the 100 calorie Chiobani yogurt, chicken, oatmeal, plant fusion protein powder mixed with almond milk and a frozen banana, whole grain toast with 1 tbsp peanut butter, sweet potatoes, frozen grapes fro snacks.
  • taratameta
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll definitely try my best
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Move more, eat less. You don't need to cut out any certain food groups. If you eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight. I have several friends and my mother and grandmother, that have thyroid issues but still lose weight. Yes, it might not be easy, but it can be done!!
  • taratameta
    Options
    Move more, eat less. You don't need to cut out any certain food groups. If you eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight. I have several friends and my mother and grandmother, that have thyroid issues but still lose weight. Yes, it might not be easy, but it can be done!!

Thanks! It's also hard to get around because of school and stuff. I'll do it though!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I eat almost the exact same thing every day. I try to mix it up every week though. Find what works, and just go with it. You do not have to eat snacks unless you are hungry. Don't fall into the 6 small meal trap. It doesn't work for everybody. Also, trust the MFP system. The math is correct if you eat back at least half your exercise calories. Don't get lost in all the feeds where people suggest finding your TDEE, etc. However, that being said, know that everyone has a magic number. For me, it is a goal of 1.5 pounds per week. Some people can only do 1 pound per week, and some do well at 2 pounds a week. It takes time to figure out where you are. I would recommend starting out at a goal of 1.5 pound loss per week. It is still challenging without being super restrictive and difficult to maintain in the long run.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There really is no quick fix. Losing 5 pounds a month is difficult, especially if you're fighting medications and medical conditions. Be more active, eat less (or healthier) food is the basic formula, but you have to have patience. You didn't put the weight on in 4 months, don't expect to lose it that quickly. And even if you did put it on that quickly, it's still not easy to lose it that quickly.
  • taratameta
    Options
    I eat almost the exact same thing every day. I try to mix it up every week though. Find what works, and just go with it. You do not have to eat snacks unless you are hungry. Don't fall into the 6 small meal trap. It doesn't work for everybody. Also, trust the MFP system. The math is correct if you eat back at least half your exercise calories. Don't get lost in all the feeds where people suggest finding your TDEE, etc. However, that being said, know that everyone has a magic number. For me, it is a goal of 1.5 pounds per week. Some people can only do 1 pound per week, and some do well at 2 pounds a week. It takes time to figure out where you are. I would recommend starting out at a goal of 1.5 pound loss per week. It is still challenging without being super restrictive and difficult to maintain in the long run.

I shall read through your diary :) thanks! I'll work out longer now . It's just so hard getting started.
  • taratameta
    Options
    There really is no quick fix. Losing 5 pounds a month is difficult, especially if you're fighting medications and medical conditions. Be more active, eat less (or healthier) food is the basic formula, but you have to have patience. You didn't put the weight on in 4 months, don't expect to lose it that quickly. And even if you did put it on that quickly, it's still not easy to lose it that quickly.

I'll take this into consideration. Thanks so much. I just sort of get confused on what to eat sometimes
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I'll take this into consideration. Thanks so much. I just sort of get confused on what to eat sometimes
    food.

just less of it.

and just throw that timeframe out the window. If you're already fighting against a thyroid issue AND medicine that could make losing more difficult, trying to go to extremes for some "I have to lose this weight by this day or I'm a failure!" is just gonna set you up for disappointment.

...and no one likes being disappointed.
  • taratameta
    Options
    Lol!!! Will do
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have any quick fixes for you. Personally, I would continue eating the delicious Filipino food, just make sure to log it all and keep it within your calorie goals or exercise to earn more! If you want to keep the weight off long term, you need to change your lifestyle permanently. Banning your favorite foods will likely be disastrous for you. You want to go without Filipino food for the rest of your life? I wouldn't. So just decrease the portions. :flowerforyou:
  • taratameta
    Options
    I don't have any quick fixes for you. Personally, I would continue eating the delicious Filipino food, just make sure to log it all and keep it within your calorie goals or exercise to earn more! If you want to keep the weight off long term, you need to change your lifestyle permanently. Banning your favorite foods will likely be disastrous for you. You want to go without Filipino food for the rest of your life? I wouldn't. So just decrease the portions. :flowerforyou:

That's what I've been trying so far! I'll continue to log what I eat. Thanks for the advice. Wish I could share some with you haha