Veggies, Do you weigh them?

lsorci919
lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
Having a debate on whether you should weigh things like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, ect... I'm for weighing it all, for accuracy purposes.

Just wondering how many of my fellow MFPers weigh their veggies?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I weigh them. It's hard to get Brussels sprouts to fit in a cup.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Weigh it all
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Why wouldn't you? They have calories so they get weighed
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Usually, but not always. Depends on the situation, but the majority of the time yes.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Of course. If I eat it, it gets weighed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I weigh everything that I can ….
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Weigh by ounces, grams and measure by cup as not always easy to find which way it is listed. Also some things settle and don't measure what they should weigh; things like pasta and cereals
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    I don't weigh or measure them and I am still losing 2 pounds a week so I am not worried about it.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    I weigh everything but was having a debate and the argument was that their calories are so low that a guestimation was fine. I argued that when creating a smaller deficit, accuracy matters.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Only calorically dense ones - peas, corn, potatoes. It's just not worth weighing lettuce. Last time I did it was three calories worth.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Some veggies are more calorie dense than I expected. I also weigh, so as I can come back toward then end of the week and count up the total weight of fruits and veggies, which i log in 80g portions form my own record.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Yes, of course. They are carbs.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Usually yes. There are a few times when I don't weigh them....like if I put a little bit of lettuce on my sandwich or in my wrap. Or if I pop a baby carrot in my mouth as a quick little snack...because honestly I am not going to fuss about not logging that 5 calorie carrot.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    I am strick and I weigh them. Just sometimes I skip with green leafy salad. I "eye-measure" the grams as it doesn't have many calories or carbs :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Nope, other than the starchy ones.

A pound of broccoli (the vegetable I eat most of) is about 120 calories. Even if the one-pound bag is off by 20%, that's an error of less than 25 calories. Similar reasoning applies to spinach, celery, etc. It's just not worth my time.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,242 Member
    I weigh potatoes and the like - but if I eat half a carrot I just log it as half a carrot and I never weigh lettuce and I don't even weigh most fruit - I just log a medium mandarine as a medium mandarine.

Sure, this may make my calorie total out by, say, 20 or so calories - but I really don't think that matters.

Some people like to be totally accurate to the nth degree - but more or less accurate has worked fine for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I weigh and track all my fruits and veg, and not just for calorie purposes. I also track my vitamins and fiber, and I have to pay attention to make sure I get all my servings in.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    I weigh everything. My scales are a permanent fixture in the kitchen now. I weigh not only to monitor my calories but also to keep my portions controlled.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I weigh them, absolutely.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I weigh them all. It isn't difficult as I just put my dish on the scale, zero it out, add an item, zero it again, etc. Get weights for each item quickly.

It doesn't add time to prep and keeps me accurate and honest with myself.
  • I dont really get the point in weighing 10 calories of lettuce but that is just me.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Some - potatoes, squash and other such calorie dense veg I weigh. Carrots, leeks, mage tout etc I guesstimate - 1 carrot, 1 leek etc on the basis that some days it'll be a bigger carrot than others so averages out. As a proportion of my calorie intake they are realtively small and as still have a decent deficit (7-800 a day) then I'm not fussed about 10 or 20 cals here and there. When my deficit is smaller then I may change my view.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    I weigh potatoes and the like - but if I eat half a carrot I just log it as half a carrot and I never weigh lettuce and I don't even weigh most fruit - I just log a medium mandarine as a medium mandarine.

Sure, this may make my calorie total out by, say, 20 or so calories - but I really don't think that matters.

Some people like to be totally accurate to the nth degree - but more or less accurate has worked fine for me.

This - when i have weighed stuff i usually find that i'm overestimating the portion size and calories, not under, so if im cooking a biog batch of veg especially starchy veg for dinner and it's easy to weigh then yes, but for lettuce and salad i dont bother at all and not really for fruit as i tend to eat that at work where i dont have the scales.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Unless it's something starchy I don't even log them, obviously first thing to consider if I was to stall.
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    I weight it all...not so much for the calories but for the other macros and things I watch (e.g., fiber).
  • Jarahal
    Jarahal Posts: 36 Member
    Gotta weigh everything!
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I'm in too small a deficit not to.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    If I eat it, I weigh it. I'm *kitten* at eyeballing portions and weights, even after doing this for over 2 years. My scale is the most-used item in my kitchen.

I've been laughed at for weighing veggies, especially things like spinach, but it's pretty much a habit for me now. I don't even think about it. I also find it interesting to see the different calorie densities of different veggies- onions, corn, and peas are surprisingly high. It's good for me to keep myself in the habit of weighing everything- keeps my logging thorough and honest.

I'm more or less in maintenance now, so logging everything is a big deal. I still try to keep a small deficit as a cushion for error- no more than 100-200 calories. Not a lot of wiggle room there, not even for veggies. ;)
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 141 Member
    If it's a solid and it goes in my mouth, it goes on the scale.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    I weigh them because I'm still learning what a proper portion looks like, especially in fruits. Apparently my "medium" orange is about twice the size of the "medium" oranges in the database, so I've taken to weighing them in order to be more accurate. I get hungry easily, so being more accurate allows me to avoid eating too much by accident. I also suck at portion sizes...