fitness tracker

Options
What should I get? I looked at the fitbit today and I think I might like it. What do you guys have and like?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Garmin Vivofit today. I did a lot of research before choosing. I picked this one because it has a real heart rate monitor (chest strap) for running, biking, etc., it does not have have to be recharged every few days (inexpensive batteries replaced every 9 months or so), and it's waterproof for swimming.

The cons of the Vivofit are that it doesn't not sync with Android phones except for the newest models (so when I upgrade, it will be fine) and it doesn't sync with MFP, plus it doesn't have a backlight, but I don't think that will really be an issue.

My other choice was a Polar Loop because I did not want just a glorified pedometer counting steps. I want HRM integrated.

Now I'm going to take my Vivofit and my old Polar HRM to the gym to test it's accuracy before I decide if I'm keeping it.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip. It's very small and conceals easily. I absolutely LOVE it! So much so that I got my sister one too. We are steppin!! ;)
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit one and love it.
  • Aishteru85
    Aishteru85 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit one.. and i love it... it helps with the TDEE conundrum. And I have never been without it ever since I got it and I dont think I can live without it now.. lol got too dependent on it already...hehe
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Flex for almost a year and love it. It's gotten me to hit the 10K step mark almost every day. I wear it 24/7 except for charging (once a week) and when my bird wants to sit on that arm since it freaks him out a bit. It syncs here. The alarm is great - it vibrates and is a much nicer way to wake up, than with a blaring alarm clock. It was definitely a good investment.
  • TuRboJamEVeRydaY
    TuRboJamEVeRydaY Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex. Is there a way to just sync MFP & my activity calories? Its calculating ALL of my calories for the day. If I went by that I'd get to eat an extra 1500 calories of food a day. THATS not gonna happen.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sadly the best Fitbit has been recalled. The Force was a great product and I use mine daily. But it does have a faulty strap design but that can be fixed. Too bad it is not waterproof .. or it would be just about perfect. Well .. a HRM feature would be nice like some of the Samsung models which I understand do not need a chest strap.

Also have a Fitbit Flex .. but it sucks. Total piece of crap compared to the other models out there. It sits in a drawer where it will eventually die a painful death.

There are some really nice products from Garmin and Samsung in particular now. Do your research .. but this market will continue to grow.
  • ottmanfamily
    ottmanfamily Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 - it has a heart rate monitor chest strap that connects to a watch. It cost around $70 @ http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/ .

I like that I can monitor my heart rate, track calories burned see how long I have worked out and how well i am maintaining my target heart rate.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had the flex which was a good product - except I had the problem the Force was recalled for (a rash when I wore it). The Vivofit is promising with battery life but as of right now does not interface to MFP. Fitbit and Wirthings have clip ons that work well and interface. I have the Gear Fit (doesn't interface to MFP - but it does to my S4 phone). It is really all how much you want to spend and do you want to manually log on MFP. Whatever you get - it is a tool or motivator depending how you use it.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 310XT w/heart rate monitor strap and love it! Swim, Bike, Run:smile:
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i have a vivofit and love it. you have to get it with the heart rate monitor to track exercise activity with it, as otherwise its really just a pedometer. But combined with the heart rate monitor, it's great.

Doesn't sync with MFP (though there's been talk that it will,) but i find it easy to go to garmin connect, get my calorie burn from the activity, then add it to MFP.

It's waterproof, battery lasts a year, easy to take on/off but strap stays secure (it's never once fallen off.) Has sleep monitoring too which I'm not really bothering with but I know some people like (mostly just tracks movement as you sleep to give you an idea of how much you move around in the night.)
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I just bought the Garmin Vivofit today. I did a lot of research before choosing. I picked this one because it has a real heart rate monitor (chest strap) for running, biking, etc., it does not have have to be recharged every few days (inexpensive batteries replaced every 9 months or so), and it's waterproof for swimming.

The cons of the Vivofit are that it doesn't not sync with Android phones except for the newest models (so when I upgrade, it will be fine) and it doesn't sync with MFP, plus it doesn't have a backlight, but I don't think that will really be an issue.

My other choice was a Polar Loop because I did not want just a glorified pedometer counting steps. I want HRM integrated.

Now I'm going to take my Vivofit and my old Polar HRM to the gym to test it's accuracy before I decide if I'm keeping it.

After all my research this was what I think I'm going to buy... how did the two compare?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

After all my research this was what I think I'm going to buy... how did the two compare?

After testing the Vivofit for a day, I took it back.

First, the whole point in getting it instead of a Fitbit was the integration of heart rate monitoring. However, during the actual workout, it was impossible to get to the heart rate monitoring info...namely, zones, calories burned, etc. Also, to get calories burned during the whole workout, you basically had to remember the total calories before the workout, and subtract that from the calories after the workout. The wrist unit didn't give much info at all...you had to wait to sync it with the website or app. Even then, it was merely ok. And the calories burned was way off.

I'm giving the Polar Loop a try, and if I don't like it, I may just replace my old HRM with a newer one which communicates with my phone and possibly get a Fitbit of some sort.

I'm eyeballing the Amiigo which is coming out later this year, so if the Polar Loop doesn't make me happy, I might just wait a while.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

First, the whole point in getting it instead of a Fitbit was the integration of heart rate monitoring. However, during the actual workout, it was impossible to get to the heart rate monitoring info...namely, zones, calories burned, etc. Also, to get calories burned during the whole workout, you basically had to remember the total calories before the workout, and subtract that from the calories after the workout. The wrist unit didn't give much info at all...you had to wait to sync it with the website or app. Even then, it was merely ok. And the calories burned was way off.

I always sync, go on connect to get my total calories and time for the workout, then use those to enter my activity on MFP.

did you check the right place on garmin connect? it shows zones and BPM on the band as you go, then on connect, it has total calories burned, shows a graph displaying BPM over the course of the workout, max and avg hear rate, calories burned over the whole workout, and you can then add in type of activity and stuff - sounds like everything you mentioned above is there on connect.
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex. i love it. i never take it off except to charge it. I feel like it has been key to my losing 40 pounds as I am big on goals and love seeing all green smiley faces at the end of the day. My only problem with it is that for the last little bit it is not syncing automatically with MFP. I have to connect and reconnect it every night for my exercise calories to show up. I also have a Polar Ft HRM. I have found that when running my flex does pretty good with being close on calories, but if I am washing/grooming riding horses or doing things like gardening, my HRM is more accurate.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex right now and I had a One before. I did a comparison blog between the two, if you want to see the pros and cons of both.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/coolblondenerd/view/fitbit-one-vs-fitbit-flex-648147

23199827.png
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options

I'm giving the Polar Loop a try, and if I don't like it, I may just replace my old HRM with a newer one which communicates with my phone and possibly get a Fitbit of some sort.

I'm eyeballing the Amiigo which is coming out later this year, so if the Polar Loop doesn't make me happy, I might just wait a while.

Would you let me know how the polar loop stacks up? It was between that and the vivofit for me, so I'm interested to know.

Thank you.