HCG?

Options
So my cousin is a nurse and she is starting the HCG diet. She was very successful the first time around and has decided to do it again. I know you take shots/pills/drops and are supposed to eat 500 calories a day. It just sounds plain unhealthy and dangerous. I'm honestly worried for her. Has anyone heard anything about this/formed any opinions of it?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Talk of HCG diet is not permitted on this site, due to the unhealthy nature of it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Talk of HCG diet is not permitted on this site, due to the unhealthy nature of it.

^This pretty much covers it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So my cousin is a nurse and she is starting the HCG diet. She was very successful the first time around and has decided to do it again. I know you take shots/pills/drops and are supposed to eat 500 calories a day. It just sounds plain unhealthy and dangerous. I'm honestly worried for her. Has anyone heard anything about this/formed any opinions of it?

If she was so successful the first time, why does she have to do it again?

Its ridiculous and dangerous.
  • exterminatingmyfat
    Options
    That's EXACTLY what I thought! I'm really glad you guys all agree with me...I wish I could say something to her but since she's a nurse I feel like she'll say "I'm a nurse so I know what's best..."
    Note: I have absolutely no intentions of trying it. It sounds dangerous and horribly unhealthy. No thanks!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's just a very restricted calorie diet, the "medical" part of it is BS.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's the kicker. On a 500-calorie diet, you'll lose weight. No doubt about that but so many people have to do round after round after round. I really believe that is what keeps these companies in business. The drops don't contain any hCG. It's a placebo. Seems like most people, when they finally get off the hCG merry-go-round end up even fatter than when they began. I did the hCG thing for one month. Caused a host of expensive health problems. Dangerous diet!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    In before the lock!

3654036-3265769503-36220.gif
  • 90to20
    90to20 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    On my first round of HCG I took the pills
    my starting weight was 160
    and my final weight after 3 months was 137
    I felt great, it wasn't unhealthy, I had 600 cals net a day (i didn't exercise)
    but I didn't complete P4 and I ended gaining back 60 whopping pounds!

the second time around I tried the patches, they caused a rash and I had serious health problems

HCG is fine if you are willing to make the complete lifestyle change (basically eating full-forced paleo for the rest of your life)

If not, FORGET ABOUT IT!

Hoped this helped :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    HCG = expensive snake oil

500 cals/day = dangerously low calorie intake.... which will result in rapid weight loss but won't result in healthy body composition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

the second time around I tried the patches, they caused a rash and I had serious health problems

HCG is fine if you are willing to make the complete lifestyle change (basically eating full-forced paleo for the rest of your life)

If not, FORGET ABOUT IT!

This line alone shows you have no idea what you are talking about
    x2
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

HCG is fine if you are willing to completely disrespect your body (basically develop an eating disorder for for the rest of your life)

If not, FORGET ABOUT IT!

There, I fixed it for you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If she had been "very successful" the first time around, she wouldn't have to be doing it a second time.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I did HCG on and off for a year. Using the shots and giving myself shots in the stomach everyday. I had horrible migraines, was sleepy and weak. It was just terrible but I was deperate to "lose weight fast". Every single time I gained back more than I lost.

Lots of people told me how unheallthy it was, I just didn't care. She will have to want to lose weight the healthy way on her terms, you won't be able to tell her anything to change the way she's thinking unfortunately.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats a healthy diet and excercise. A lot of people want fast results, the weight didn't show up overnight.. Be patient and be consistent.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

If not, FORGET ABOUT IT!

by full-forced paleo, do you mean hunting and gathering all your food for the rest of your life? Because that would work in terms of staying thin for the rest of your life.
  • albatati
    albatati Posts: 10
    Options
    Full Throttle Fat Loss is a revolutionary fitness program designed and maintained by Dr. Kareem Samhouri. The Dr. is featured on a number of national media outlets for his work in the fitness field. The Full Throttle Fat Loss system is capable of providing amazing results in a very short period of time. Finding a system that works for sustained progression to the body of your choosing is an invaluable find! Click the link above to learn more and start your journey to a more healthy and fit lifestyle!
    http://9a2c0wh-q6feaucc-8ceg0oy3o.hop.clickbank.net/

122432675.jpg
    474495263.jpg
    766690404.jpg
    526417802.jpg
    160666523.jpg
    295774463.png

http://9a2c0wh-q6feaucc-8ceg0oy3o.hop.clickbank.net/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello,

I'm writing to let you know that our Community Guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the creation of any forum posts, groups, or posts in groups that encourage the use of Very Low Calorie diets (including, but not limited to, VLCDs that use the HCG protocol).

MyFitnessPal has always promoted a healthy, sustainable, and gradual path to weight loss. But HCG products are typically promoted in connection with a very low calorie diet, usually one that limits calories to 500 per day. Research has demonstrated that calorie intake at these levels can lead to increased risk of gallstones, hair loss, constipation, an irregular heartbeat, and many other dangerous side-effects.

Moreover, numerous medical studies have shown that the results of HCG-use in combination with a very low calorie diet are indistinguishable from the results of the low calorie diet alone. In light of this research, the FDA has required the labeling and advertising of HCG products to state:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “normal” distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

Our guidelines prohibit any use of Groups or the Public Forums to support the use of HCG.

Regards,

MFP Community Manager

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.