Yoga After Run, or Run After Yoga ?

Options
Which should be done first and why ?

Replies

• reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I run about 2 miles BEFORE my hot power yoga class 3-4 out of the 5 (yoga) days a week. I do it in this order because of the time I drop my kid at school, and when the class starts, and for NO other reason. If I ran after, I would be late for work! If I skip yoga one day, I will run 4-5 miles instead.

I've been wondering the same thing! Anybody?
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Following
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yoga, run, yoga I say. Like a little triathlon but it won't make you tight and stiff.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It depends on your goals and it depends on what you feel like doing.
    If you are training for a marathon and doing yoga to supplement your running, then run first. If you have posture, strength , or other yoga goals, then do yoga first.
    If you feel like running first or if it fits into your schedule, run first. Or visa versa.
  • wideturn
    wideturn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio last in my workouts. I find that if I do it first, I'm too worn out for anything else.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I do a short yoga workout that isn't too strenuous (P90X3 yoga is only 30 mins) and that gets the blood flowing and muscles warmed up then I go off on my run.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    I warm up just by stretching and cool down with yoga usually. It keeps me from getting too sore.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    As far as the workout benefits go it matters not at all.

Personally I use yoga to empty out and decompress. Once I've done that, putting a workout on top of that feels counterintuitive. However that's just me and how I feel towards my practice.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I run before I do Yoga but that's basically me running to the gym (it's about 1.5miles), a few weeks back I did do Yoga and then a 10mile run and found I was a LOT less stiff in my hips than on previous longer runs. As someone else said it depends on your goal (I mainly run to the gym as it lets me stay in bed later lol).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I would think before or after would depend on the type of workout the yoga was, yes? I don't do yoga much so not really certain on the flow of it all....but if I understand you have the stretching type and then the hot bikini yoga (I know it isn't called that but that is what I think when I see the name lol). If it were the stretching sessions, I would think yoga after the run as all those expert running coaches tell you to not stretch cold muscles.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My running coaches always stress stretching out after running. Prior to running you want to get the blood flowing a little and do some minor stretches. After the run, you want to do several sets of deep stretches, particularly in the hamstrings and achilles, as those tighten up th emost while running. A stretching yoga (as opposed to a power yoga) would be the way to go after a run. $0.02.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do john vitarelli ' s yoga for athletes a lot. It was on comcast on demand. He says to do it before and after a run. Sometimes I do.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You can do a yoga warm up and then a yoga cool down
  • BridgetWolfbear
    BridgetWolfbear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yoga first, it stretches out the muscles. ^_^
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I always end my workout sessions with about 10-15 minutes of yoga- it's a great way to stretch out warmed up, worked muscles. However, I can't see a downside to doing it beforehand.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i believe its very productive (and some instructors teach it) to warm up before doing yoga. it does help with flow, in my experience. i like doing it has a cool down, but on rest days i still want to do some yoga, i dont warm up.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Run first. Yoga after will help stretch the muscles that got too tight and help balance things out in the lesser-used muscles in the legs afterwards to help bring anything that's out of alignment back.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Run first, yoga after. You really shouldn't strech before running.

Yoga is fantastic for runners! I'm planning my next marathon training plan right now and I'll make sure to fit yoga in 3x a week! :)
  • ryonlane
    ryonlane Posts: 1
    Options
    I was a runner before I found yoga, discovered it because of serious injury, and now am a runner and a yogi. Yoga actually helped me rehab in a way that was not stressful on joints and focused away from injured areas, helping me rebuild strength, flexibility and endurance.

I completely disagree with anyone who says you shouldn't stretch before running. Gentle stretching before running is a great warm up. Even a 10min session before each run, hitting a few key muscle groups with good alignment, can be fantastic and has absolutely zero negative impact for the average person.

I now often run a couple/few miles to yoga, practice yoga, then run home. For longer run days, I don't practice yoga at all. Some days I just practice yoga by driving there.

Everyone is different, everyone's physiology is different, and you definitely have to play around and figure out what works for you. If you've never practiced yoga, try a few classes on non-run days. If you love it, transition it into your workout schedule.

I challenge anyone who reads this to regularly practice yoga for 2-3 times per week for a month, and then tell me they don't see an increase in their running speed, power, flexibility and stamina.
  • dantonn9
    dantonn9 Posts: 13
    Options
    I run first, then yoga. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but IMO, I want to stretch out really well AFTER the run,,, which is where the yoga fits in :)