Grapefruit

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in "miracle foods" or any shortcuts, I am just curious whether grapefruit is regarded as an aid to weightloss?

I've heard soo many times that it's popular to start the day with half a grapefruit, and there are even grapefruit diets.

Is it better to eat a grapefruit than an orange? Anyone got reliable sources on this?

I mean, if I'm going to eat fruit anyway I want to eat the best ones.

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Would love to know this as well.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I eat grapefruit every day. Because it helps me meet my micronutrient goals.

There is no particular food that will bring you to your faster than an overall balanced, moderate diet paired with an active lifestyle.

There is no one food that will get you what you need. You need to eat every food, just not all the food all the time.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think it is a big, low-calorie fruit that is a good replacement for something that might be otherwise high calorie in your breakfast. If you like something sweet at breakfast (or as a snack) and you replace a calorie-heavy baked good with a grapefruit, of course your overall calorie goal will benefit.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons it is considered a good "weight-loss" fruit is that it is very low on the glycemic index compared to other fruits (particularly citrus). This just means it will not spike your blood sugar the way other high-sugar fruits potentially will. If your blood sugar remains fairly constant, you won't get that blood sugar crash and get super-hungry all over again. That's it. No other magical powers, other than being delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just check your meds...grapefruit interferes with a lot of meds unfortunately. I can eat it but only in small quantities and on occasion. I wish I could eat it all of the time as my mother-in-law has a tree and always has an abundance of fresh grapefruit.
  • april6indy
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23554029/
    Here is a scientific study for those of you who are interested. Eating one before meals, or even half has been proven to aid in weight loss. :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    april6indy wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23554029/
    Here is a scientific study for those of you who are interested. Eating one before meals, or even half has been proven to aid in weight loss. :)

*When accompanied by a calorie deficit
    **One could eat a slice of cake before meals and lose too