Help understanding the pie chart

tobykeohane
tobykeohane Posts: 24 Member
Hi guys,
Ime a bit confused and was hoping somebody could explain to me.
The pie chart says I can have 50 percent carbs, 30percent fat and 20 percent protein but the nutrients chart says I can have more grams of protein than fat. So which is correct. Thanks

Replies

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Fat has more calories per gram of food than protein. 1 gram of protein has 4 calories, 1 gram of fat has 9.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    That's because there's less than half the calories in protein (4cals/g) than fat (9/cals/g).
  • tobykeohane
    But why is it showing on the pie chart I have no percentage left but on the nutrient chart I still have loads of grams left. Sorry I am probably being really thick but I can't digest it lol
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    The pie chart doesn't show how much you have left, it just shows the breakdown of the food you have eaten so far e.g.if it's early in the day and you've only recorded your breakfast - let's just say you'eve had scrambled eggs for breakfast - it will show a high percentage of fat and a protein and very little carbs. It's no reflection of what you've got left, just the breakdown/balance of what you've eaten so far.

Hope that makes sense :)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    The pie chart doesn't show how much you have left, it just shows the breakdown of the food you have eaten so far e.g.if it's early in the day and you've only recorded your breakfast - let's just say you'eve had scrambled eggs for breakfast - it will show a high percentage of fat and a protein and very little carbs. It's no reflection of what you've got left, just the breakdown/balance of what you've eaten so far.

Janey has explained it well. If you ate one thing for breakfast that had 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein then your pie chart would look perfect but you would still have a lot left to eat for the day.
  • tobykeohane

Hi janey, thanks for trying to explain it to me. It will sink in eventually ha ha. My pie chart is showing 44 percent carbs, 35 fat and 21 protein but the recommended is 30 percent for fat and 25 for protein so does that not mean I am over