Brown rice cooking tips?

Any one have any?

I wanna change but white seems to cook easier! I seem to have to boil the pants off brown for hours!!!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Any one have any?

I wanna change but white seems to cook easier! I seem to have to boil the pants off brown for hours!!!

And white tastes better, so stick with that
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    I usually cook brown rice for 45 mins. It is faster and easier if you can get a rice cooker.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Since you said "boil" I'm assuming you don't have a rice cooker? If you're really wanting to switch to brown I would recommend buying one... they usually come with a handy booklet for rice/water combinations. If buying one is not an option, use 1.5 cups of water for every 1 cup of dried brown rice. Bring it to a boil, turn it down and let simmer for about 25-30 minutes (depending on if you like it slightly chewy or mushier), then turn off the heat and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. Obviously, watch it as it's simmering and test it every once in a while if you're worried you might over/under cook it.

Edit: fixed typo
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Use Minute Brown Rice. Takes less time than regular white rice and tastes pretty good.
  • paulakabrownegg
    paulakabrownegg Posts: 17 Member
    RICE COOKER!!! Just add a lil extra water for the brown rice... They got em at wal mart cheap... LOL!! i love it make cooking a lot easier.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I also hate cooking brown rice. I started buying Seeds of Change Quinoa and Whole Grain Brown Rice. It comes in microwavable pouches, plus the quinoa has added protein.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    I like both white and brown rice. Agreed, brown takes longer. If you want brown rice bad enough, you'll have to wait for it.
  • erikakane214
    erikakane214 Posts: 17 Member
    I saw a recipe online and it worked like a charm:

1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice
    Kosher salt, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.

You don't have to use 12 cups of water, I used about half of that and it still came out great! Keep in mind brown rice has a different texture then white so it won't be as soft, and feels a bit more chewy. Good luck!
  • adam_willard12
    adam_willard12 Posts: 12 Member
    Uncle Bens Brown Ready Rice (cooks in 90 sec in the microwave)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    hours?? what are you, cooking on top of a mountain??
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Cooking brown rice is just as easy to me as cooking white rice. It only takes longer. I boil 2 1/2 cups of water, pour in 1 cup of brown rice and let it boil for about a minute. I give it one final stir then put a lid on and turn the heat down to low. I set my timer for 45 minutes and wait. After the time is up, I take the pot off the heat and let it sit a few minutes. Then enjoy!
  • I can't add to the other comments about how to cook it, but if taste is the issue try sautéing onions and peppers in one teaspoon of olive oil, and add to rice. I have also added mushrooms and frozen green peas. I add the peas last and let them cook until hot through. Makes a plateful with few added calories.
  • jhinds88
    jhinds88 Posts: 9 Member
    I don't have a rice cooker and I've burnt rice too many times to even count. White is def easier for me to get right. For brown I get the Kroger boil in a bag rice. Literally cooks in 10 minutes, no crunchy pieces and 1 bag is about 2 cupsish cooked. Whoever invented it is a genius in my eyes lol
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    I can't add to the other comments about how to cook it, but if taste is the issue try sautéing onions and peppers in one teaspoon of olive oil, and add to rice. I have also added mushrooms and frozen green peas. I add the peas last and let them cook until hot through. Makes a plateful with few added calories.

Some French onion soup mix makes a nice addition!
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    I use approximately 1.5 cups water per every cup dry brown rice. I put it all together in the pan and let it come to a boil, then cover, turn it on low, and simmer approximately 20-30 minutes until most of the water is boiled off. It takes fine like this. If I'm feeling adventurous, I use Gluten-Free chicken broth in place of the water - gives it a really nice flavor.

We also don't eat our rice plain - we always add something, be it broth, veggies in sauce, or stir fry.

You can make it up ahead of time and freeze in portions for the week. Unfortunately, it only keeps for a couple days in the fridge.
  • claires89
    claires89 Posts: 10 Member
    If I'm planning to have brown rice for dinner, I leave it to soak in a few cups of water all day while I'm out at work. When I get home, I just put it straight into a pan of boiling water with a pinch of salt, and it's usually ready in about 10-15 minutes. If you want it ready in time for lunch, try soaking it in boiling water but if you can leave it all day, it doesn't matter whether it's cold or hot water. Once it's soaked, it doesn't really increase in volume much more after cooking, so just make sure the bowl is big enough to hold the expanded volume of rice (and you've put enough water in) or you'll come home to half soaked rice all over your kitchen counter!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Get a rice cooker - got mine at Target for about $20. Don't know what I did without it. Real rice tastes so much better than minute rice. My rice cooker takes 1 hour for brown rice (brown rice is supposed to have a little bite/texture to it) and 30 minutes for white rice. Love that mine has a delay timer so I can set it in the morning and have fresh rice waiting for me when I get home from work. I also has a keep warm feature when it's done cooking. Well worth the investment. All you do is rinse the rice, add water (the cooker will tell you how much to use), set the timer, and let it go. Can't get any simpler.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    If I'm planning to have brown rice for dinner, I leave it to soak in a few cups of water while I'm out at work. When I get home, I just put it straight into a pan of boiling water with a pinch of salt, and it's usually ready in about 10-15 minutes. If you want it ready in time for lunch, try soaking it in boiling water but if you can leave it all day, it doesn't matter whether it's cold or hot water. Once it's soaked, it doesn't really increase in volume much more after cooking, so just make sure the bowl in big enough to hold the expanded volume of rice (and you've put enough water in) or you'll come home to half soaked rice all over your kitchen counter!

Rice does expand when cooked. It almost doubles, just like pasta. You use 1 cup white rice to 2 cups water. 1 cup brown rice to 1 1/2 cups water at least.
  • I agree with several people here...a $20 rice cooker does a fine job, even 'though it still takes longer than white or jasmine rice. Also, I use half low sodium beef broth in place of water, just to add a little flavour. You can substitute any kind of juice or other flavoured liquid for water if you like.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Bring water to boil, add a pinch of salt, and a whole clove of garlic..
    ...when the water is at a rolling boil, add the rice,
    hard boil for a minute or two,
    put a fitted lid on, and turn on simmer/low. for 45 mins..
    dont open the lid until the time is up..set a timer for stove top.. works perfect everytime..
    add desired spices to water upon boil if you like