Confused newbie

Options
Hi all...greetings from the UK!

I've only been using MFP properly for last few days and MFP has calculated my daily calories as 1200 to lose 2lb a week...however my BMR is approx 1600 (average of 4 or 5 different calculators online) do you think I should stick at 1200 or manually set my calories target?

Thanks peeps, sorry if this has been done to death already!

Replies

• elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    The reason it says 1200 is because that is the bare minimum that it is safe to really go down to. I have known people who go lower on than this but it is never good. It usually becomes a yoyo of weight loss and gain that sees them far worse off than they otherwise would be. If you really want to see lasting and good results I would speak with a personal trainer at a respectable gym and start lifting while eating at that 1600 mark! best of luck to you!
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello UK also
    If you goggle iifym.com have a good read loads interesting info hope that helps
    Feel free to add me
  • Squibs85
    Squibs85 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you, I think i'll try 1600 for a couple of months and see if the scales start to move!
  • Squibs85
    Options
    Thanks George, some bed time reading! hehe
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    mfp says 1200 < you probably set 2lb/week loss
    this doesn't suit everyone

I can't tell from your profile and closed diary, but as a quick guide
    reasonable loss rates depending on your position on hte bmi scale:
    obese/morbidly obese > 2lb/week
    overweight/obese> 1-2lb/week
    overweight/normal > 1lb/week or less
    normal > 1/2-1 lb per week

many mfp users get good reliable loss by accurately tracking at a small-ish deficit aiming for 1lb or less a week

good luck
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    greetings from the UK as well

i started at the 1200 to lose the fat, which i did slowly over 8 months, 2 stone gone. then i slowly upped the calories till now im up to 2650 a day. i cycle 5 days a week and workout at the gym 5 days as well, currently trying to slowly bulk up in the right places.

I'd suggest aim for halfway between 1200 and 1600 and see how you go with that. its all about balance and eating healthily as well as watching the calories i have found. lots of people have lots of opinions about this but its whats right for you, and you can only really find that out by doing it, i would suggest that you don't do anything drastic and maybe take a diary of what you eat normally at the moment and then slowly cut back over a few weeks/months till you are down to 1200 to 1600 and then maintain that and then start keeping track of weight loss etc

just some suggestions but good to see you taking charge and doing something about it, my last bit of advice and this was the thing that i had to force myself to do, was to be honest on what you record, if you eat it then record it no matter what so you can see exactly what you do eat and where you can cut back......... and fat is not all bad, you need some in your diet to be healthy, just not alot

l8rs

G
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    remember to re-do the target calorie calcs periodically - most people recomend every 5lb or so
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi from the UK also. Seems to be the norm for MFP to sprout 1200 or so calories when you input 2lbs a week loss.

I restarted again today with new weight, new account etc and was given 1300 (+exercise) whereas my calculated BMR is around 1800.

Seems a lot of people don't like to see people inputting 2lb a week for weight loss as MFP gives out such low calorie recommendations.

I'm going to go up to 1500 personally, if weight loss is a little slower so be it but I don't think id be a very nice person on 1300. After august ( I'm getting married then) depending on how I feel and how the weight loss goes until then I'm going to probably up it or stay the same as I'm in no massive rush to lose the weight - it took 28 years to get on and stay on so not going to kill myself getting it off.

I think it's definitely going to be a little bit of trial and error though, see what works, how you feel with it etc.

I'd raise it from 1200 if I were you because you can always drop 100 kcals here or there if you need/want.

Feel free to add me as a friend-we can compare how it's going with each other !!
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    weight loss at 2lb/week equates to a weekly deficit of 7000 calories/week or 1000 calories/day
    where calories out > calories in
    and calories in = calories out - deficit

so if your calories required to maintain your curent weight nd excercise level (TDEE) is less than 2200/day then losing 2lb/week would require a net consumption lower than 1200cal/day which is unsafe unless under direct medical supervision
    as mfp is intended to support a safe long term sustanable weight loss it will not sugest consumption levels below 1200/day

weight loss targets and deficits required to achieve them (ball park but generally accepted approximations):
    2lb/week 7000cal/week 1000cal/day
    1lb/week 3500 500
    0.5 1750 250
  • eastbaygal
    eastbaygal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greetings! It is also helpful to know what your basal metabolic rate ( BMR ) is. This tells you how many calories you need to maintain the weight you are now and then you can adjust downward. Let me tell you, it's an eye opener. My BMR is 1400 cal. It makes sense; I have the metabolism of a slug. But I have to go below 1400 cal to lose weight. Try to find a public venue like a school or promotional place - you don't have to go to a doctor and pay to get this information. Good Luck!
  • Squibs85
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone, I have changed my setting now to 1400 to start in the middle of the 2 and I can up it or lower it with a bit of trial and error. Appreciate your help guys. Have a good day!:smile:
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good luck with everything! Remember to re-evaluate your goals from time to time. I started with 25kg to lose, and every 5kg lost, I have aimed for a slightly slower weight-loss. The idea is that you don't suddenly hit your goal weight and have no idea how much to eat any more!