Walking!

Options
My name is Shan and Im addicted to walking my butt off everyday! Whose with me on the walking addiction? If so how many miles a day to ya do. I usually do between 2-3 miles a day or every other day. Mo goal is to do 5 miles aday everyday soon.

Replies

• Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hey Shan, addicted may be a little more than I am but I do try to walk every day. After I eat lunch at work I do laps in the parking lot for 1.5 miles and then most evenings do another 2 or 3 on the treadmill. It is a fantastic way to improve overall blood circulation and it is all I have done since joining MFP. My old knees limit me to walking, not jogging or running, but I'm glad you are realizing the benefits of it. And a shout-out to New Bern, I'm from the W-Salem area. NC forever!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi Shan, I walk every day, around 7 miles each day through the week, and at least 12 - 15 miles on a Saturday, less on a Sunday, though I do still get a walk in. I love it, especially when I get to walk along the beach or out in the countryside near where I work/live. I'm lucky that I live in a small town in Scotland, there are lots of beautiful walks in the local area. The photo is from my walk last Saturday. Keep at it, I had to build up gradually but I notice a huge improvement in my overall fitness now!
  • vegancatrina
    Options
    I'm completely addicted. My hubby wants to get a car and I'm completely against it. I love to walk everywhere. Weekdays I walk about 8-10 miles a day based on my fitbit. Weekends are hard cause the kids have no school so there goes my walk.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    Good for you Shan. It is always good to have a passion for something in life....especially if it is for exercise!! I have just bought a treadmill (live in South Carolina Iand it will soon be too hot for me to walk outside) and I find it so convenient and I am truly enjoying it. I am currently walking on it 2.5 miles a day. However, I forgive myself if I miss a day here and there. I just rejoined MFP as I had success with it last year. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!!!
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I am an almost neighbor to you and Shan. I live in SC. I have just begun a walking regime and can use all the support I can get. Looking to lose 30 lbs. Good luck to you ..it is mind over matter.
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to walking as well. I try to walk 2-3 miles every night or every other night. It's been pretty much my only form of exercise and I've had great results!
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    I love walking! I average about 4.5 miles a day (1-ish at work and the rest at the walking track).
  • slsneeden
    slsneeden Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow yall are awesome!!!! Keep up the good work! Its a great feeling to go out and breathe the fresh air! When its to hot I will be at the gym on the treadmill going to town! Ive never had this motivation before and I feel if I let it slip then I fall off track! Heres to life long changes! :):):)
  • BEACHGIRL0622
    BEACHGIRL0622 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My ftbit recorded 7 miles today!! Love walking! I usually do at least 3 miles a day at Fort Benjamin Park in Newport. Great place to walk. They have a one mile fitness trail.
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    Walking is my only form of exercise. And I shoot for 10,000 steps per day. About 4.5 miles for me. I have a fitbit and believe I am Pavlov's dog waiting for my fitbit to vibrate to let me know I've reached my goal :)
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to walking, but it is my favorite exercise. Now that I have a toddler it's really the only exercise I can do without paying a babysitter. We try to take a walk every afternoon when the weather is nice. She loves it of course, and I'm starting to enjoy it more now that I'm watching what I eat and feeling stronger. The hardest part is when I have to carry her home on my back or shoulders - what a workout! But it's so nice to be outdoors. The toddler sleeps better on days that we walk. :)
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My name is Shan and Im addicted to walking my butt off everyday! Whose with me on the walking addiction? If so how many miles a day to ya do. I usually do between 2-3 miles a day or every other day. Mo goal is to do 5 miles aday everyday soon.

I walk every day. Usually around 8 miles. More on weekends. Took me about 10 months to work up to it. Has helped with my loss so far.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    love it.. not too stressfull on the joints and I get to enjoy a good amount of fresh air.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I love it, too. We try to get a decent walk done in the morning and another at night. If i can do that my Fitbit logs 12,000 to 15,000 steps, which for me is a little over 5-6 miles. On days that my fun gets in the way (I'm retired...gotta enjoy myself! lol), I am as low as 3000 steps (1.5 miles)--oh well! Right now it is my main exercise.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am addicted! I power walk most days at dawn and do 4 miles. If I am not able to get to the park in the morning I will do a Leslie Sansone video during the day and do at least 3 miles. I average 13,000 steps daily and my highest count has been 21 881 steps.
  • FaddieJonesz
    FaddieJonesz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I love walking too! I try to walk 2 to 3 miles a day if I can. I stand on my feet all day at work and played sports in the past, so my knees don't handle the stress of jogging or running too well. By the way, I'm new here and really like this MFP!! :)
    PS: I'm from Raleigh, NC :)
  • blueridgeloner
    blueridgeloner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another NC walker here up in the mountains. I average about 2.5 miles or so 6 days a week usually. If something gets in the way, i ride the stationary bike. At least one day a week I "push" and take a longer walk. Today was that day and i got in 4.12 miles on my walk, my longest yet. I think I may feel it in the morning. I walk in the evenings after work during the week, and whenever I can of the weekend. I REALLY need to get a treadmill because I hate the bike, lol. I have been walking a little less than 2 months. I started out at .5 mile every day. I started here 60 days ago.
  • walkingmommy2014
    walkingmommy2014 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    OMG me too. I have slowed down a little so I can focus on kettle bell and jogging too. I love taking my son out in his stroller and just walking 1-3hrs at a time (I pack drinks and snacks for us). The most I have ever done in one day is 8 miles.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I walk every day. Usually around 8 miles. More on weekends. Took me about 10 months to work up to it. Has helped with my loss so far.
    [/quote]

How much time does it take you to walk 8 miles a day? I walk every too but usually just 3 miles. I'm just wondering if I can even fit that in my schedule.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker too! Still pretty new into it (week 2) and so far have worked up to about 2.5 miles, hoping to be able to work up to more distances and running in the future. (Running is a ways off, the thought of that is a bit daunting right now). I love my evening walks, great fresh air, great views (I live close to Lake Michigan) and great time with my husband (who comes with most nights)