Fitting Exercise in with busy schedule

Options
Anyone else have a really busy schedule (dumb question probably)? Some of the posts I read of people who really fit in a lot of exercise are stay at home moms or people who don't work full time (this doesn't apply to everyone and I am not saying that moms don't work hard). I just see people who are working out 1-2 hours a day and I just don't get how it fits in. Is an hour really necessary? If I want to work out for 30 min. before work, I have to get up at 4:45am. And you can just forget it when I get home. I generally put in about 40-44 hrs. a week and have housework and other obligations. And it is vital for me to get no less than 7 hrs of sleep a night (generally shoot for 8) or I am completely worthless. I am finding it a challenge to fit working out in my schedule or maybe it's just in my head and I'm lacking the determination. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd, its only 25mins including warm up and cool down and its a really great work out!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is 30 minutes...A little bit is better then nothing and I don't think 30 minutes is too less. All the cleaning and running around could constitute as exercise if you choose to include it as some. Once you get use to waking up at 4:45, it will come easily. It will be part of your routine and you won't be tired anymore. I find exercising makes me sleep better anyways! Good luck!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya and the 4:30 am workouts...I am working full time as an engineer AND finishing my masters (12 hours/4 classes a semester) AND training for marathons. Exercise can be fit into a busy lifestyle, you just HAVE to plan appropriately. I work out 6 times a week including 3-4 runs, 2 lifting days (p90x at the gym), spinning once, yoga at least once...its do-able you just have to treat exercise like an important meeting that cant be missed/delayed/etc. Good luck!
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm a single mom, who works full-time. There isn't a way for me to go to a gym, so I have to figure out how to work out at home and at a time when I'm not working or being mom. The only time I've found that works for me is in the morning. I get up at 4:30 a.m. every day - and it sucks. But I keep doing it so that I can work on me. I try to go to bed right at 10:00, so I'm only getting 6 hours of sleep or so. But, that works for me - you might have to adjust your bed time, which is also sucky - but it's worth it. I run/walk on a treadmill 3-4 times a week and do a DVD the other days. And some days, I only get in 30 minutes, some days, I get in 45 or so. I save my hour long workouts for the weekends. I've been doing this routine for almost a year - but now, it's getting really hard to get up in the morning, so my workouts are getting shorter and shorter - or I'm fitting it in at night, when I don't have plans. But - keep trying... after you do it for a couple of weeks, it does become more habitual and you get used to it. Good luck! And you are not alone :)
  • hchristine
    Options
    I feel the same way...It is really hard to fit working out when you work full time and have obligations to take care of when you get home...When I get out of work all I want to do is spend time with my family. I usually strive to get to the gym on the weekends as soon as I get up, otherwise it doesn't happen..lol. I am usually against working out at home, but I got Jillians 30 day shred for Christmas and have been doing that for the last week. It's only a 20 minute workout (it actually ends up about 28 minutes) and so far I am liking it. It only takes a few minutes and burns a lot of calories. I burned around 600 calories in that amount of time! Much less time then it takes to drag myself to the gym :)
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come across rude or judgemental, but seems like you need to rearrange your "housework and other obligations." You need to make sure you (and your health) are more important to you than those chores. Maybe some of those things can wait till the weekend when you have more time? Delegate them to someone else?
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hmm, well for me theres no way i ever get up early enough in the morning to work out before work. Like you, I also work 40+ hours a week and find time to work out straight after work, i pack my gym bag and bring it with me in the morning, that way there is no stopping home and no distractions or excuses, i go right to the gym. i arrive there around 5:30 and work out for an hour, i ususally get home around 7 and make a small/quick dinner [as i eat most of my calories early in the day] and use the rest of the evening to relax. it requres a bit of getting used to and pre planning for meals and such. it can be done though you just have to start making it a priortiy for yourself. try it once a week for starters, baby steps.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Right now, my work is very slow so I am in this great work-out routine. But, I know that by the time mid-January comes around, it will be much harder. I don't have any great answers for you. For me, I know it has involved some compromises. I don't like running at night, for example, but I have been doing this when I can't fit it in earlier.

I will say that working-out has largely replaced TV time for me. Both activities let me unfocus my mind and relax. I have also tried to integrate some other things into fitness-related activities. For example, I plan family activities like bike riding or playing soccor in the park.

Finally, I just organized a group of 20 people in my office that want to run together in the mornings. Our new office building has a small shower/locker room. So, hopefully, I can grab a few runs a week right before work.

As I said, there is no easy answer and sometimes you will have to miss a workout because of a competing priority, but keep plugging away at it.

Best of Luck!!!

--Carter
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Everyone has said great things. I bet you plan well enough, you could squeeze in some workout tme in the evenings. I didn't think I had time to either, but after shifting things around and making my workouts non-negotiable, I have been able to make it work.
  • mrayniak
    Options
    It is definitely a commitment to fit working out into a busy schedule. I don't have kids so that is one reason I can make it to the gym so much. I do wake up early (between 4:30 - 5:30 depending on the day) and go to the gym for 1 1/2 to 2 hours then go to work from 9 - 6 and go back to the gym for another hour after work. One plus for me is that my gym is right next door to work so I can shower at the gym then go to work, but the negative is that I live 45 minutes away from work and the gym. I usually get home around 8 and in bed by 9:30.

I have been doing this schedule for so long that it is a habbit now and I am actually more tired when I don't go to the gym in the morning. Even if you can only fit in 30 min a couple times a day is better than nothing - or go for one long session. I prepare all my food ahead of time and get everything ready the night before so I can just get up and go in the morning. It just takes a lot of dedication and commitment to have no free time (lol).
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Any way you can fit it in at work? I commute, and so I walk from the train to my building (unless the weather is awful) and back again. I'll also go for a walk on my lunch hour. There's a girl in my office that runs the stairs (we're on the 9th floor) once every hour. These might be some ways to squeeze in a little extra without feeling that you're always in a crunch. I can also say from experience that fitting in the exercise gets easier.
  • Chgogal1
    Options
    I have a very busy schedule myself (not this week as I am on vacation). However, I usually work 40-45 hours a week. I used to say I cannot workout in the morning either. However, I found out that once you get used to getting up early, it becomes second nature, just a part of your day. I have to get up at 4:30 myself to get to the gym by 5:00 am and be thru by 6:00; so I can shower and be to work by 7:30.

or

Can you workout during your lunch hour?

Good luck, you can do this, just need to make up your mind it is important to you, and you will find the time to fit in the exercise.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i have 2 jobs, i'm in nursing school, have 3 teenagers (boys) at home and the list goes on & on. i work at the hospital night shift & i get on the 1st fl & walk 2 flights up; workout at the gym on my lunch break & my 15mins break. WHERE THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY. GOOD LUCK , U CAN DO IT
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    WIth a husband who works long hours, my 40 hour work week + commute, two kids, and three dogs, I FEEL YOUR STRUGGLE. Time has been my biggest obstacle! I got a membership at a gym that has one by my house and one by work. I've started squeezing in 30 minutes of elliptical work on my lunch break. I'm not always back in time, but my boss has worked with me on making up those 5 or 10 minutes. If I have errands to run or have to work through lunch, I try to go by the gym before I get home. (Once I get home, I'm NOT going back to gym!) Even if you can't get a full work out in, little 10 minute walks here and there (as many have suggested) WILL help. Try browning meat in morning for dinner, or crock-pot meals. Any prep I can do in the morning for dinner frees up some time after work for the gym and I don't feel like I'm abandoning my family ;)
    I'm going to try some of the suggestions I just read, like an hour-long workout at gym on weekends, early in AM before family gets up and moving around. Personally, I've just had to try different things and stick with what works. Tweak your schedule until you find something that becomes a habit. BEST WISHES!!!!
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I work 40 hours per week and then 10 hours on the road per week with my commute. I am up at 5 just to get ready for work and on the road and not home until 615 from work (especially if the roads are bad it could be later) - I do walk the stairs at work every chance I get just for a little boost during the day as I have a very sedentary desk job. I really have to push myself to do my Leslie Sansone DVD's in the evening. The thing I like the best about them. You can do as little or as much as you want at any given time. 1 mile is 12-15 minutes depending what DVD you have. I did 2 miles two nights ago and all 5 miles last night and it makes you sweat (well, I do anyway)!!

I guess what everyone is saying is if you want it bad enough, you will find at least 15-30 minutes to do some type of activity. Your family will understand that you want to be healthier for them OR include them in your activity and make it a family event (I'm still working on that one myself)!!

Best of luck to you and ALL OF US!!!
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    Here's the other contributing factor...energy! I am so tired all the time. I am on thyroid meds. I know that the theory is that working out will give you more energy, but I have not experienced that yet. Maybe I haven't consistently stuck with it long enough for that to happen. I do know that I need to be better at taking a multivitamin. I want to take it 1st thing in the morning, but can't take it for 4 hrs after thyroid pill. I need to just carry them with me and take them mid morning or at lunch. I really like exercising when I do it. It makes me feel good physically (during the workout) and mentally, knowing I'm accomplishing something good. Time & energy just seem to be fighting against me. I guess I just need to push through it.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the good suggestions. I guess it does come to mind over matter. Thanks for all your good examples, it is motivating.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here's my daily schedule:

Long Day at School

5am to 6am--wake up and get ready for the day (shower, dress, etc.); pack my cooler for the day
    6am to 8am--leave for school; snack on a portable breakfast
    8am to 9:15am--first class
    9:30am to 10:45am--second class; snack
    11am to 12:15pm--third class
    12:30pm--1:45pm--fourth class
    1:45pm to 2:15pm--eat lunch
    2:15pm to 4pm--exercise on campus or hit the computer lab to work on projects
    4pm to 5:15pm--fifth class; snack
    5:15pm to 7:15pm--Drive home
    7:30pm to 8pm--prepare dinner
    8pm to 8:30pm--dinner with the family
    8:30pm to 10pm--exercise or study (depends on what I did earlier in the day)

Short Day at School

5am to 6am--get up and get ready for the day; eat breakfast
    6am to 7am--first client
    7am to 8am--second client
    8am to 9am--third client
    9am to 9:30am--drive to town; snack
    9:30am to 10:30am--teach aerobics
    10:30am to 11:30am--teach yoga or pilates
    11:30am to 12pm--drive back home
    12pm to 1pm--handle candle business (my second home based business)
    1pm to 2pm--eat lunch; pack my snacks for school
    2pm to 4pm--drive to school
    4pm to 5:15pm--sixth class; snack
    5:15 to 7:15pm--drive home from school (yes, school is 2 hours away and 2 days a week I only have one class down there. It sucks!)
    7:30pm to 8pm--prepare dinner
    8pm to 8:30pm--dinner with the family
    8:30pm to 10pm--exercise or study

As you can see, there is no time for cleaning the house or anything remotely looking like housework. My DH and kids (two teenagers) have to pull their own weight by helping around the house. I catch it and my candle business stuff up on weekends. The best thing I ever did for myself was buy a day planner. I block off my time and stick to my schedule. If a client is late, they forfeit that time because I'm not going to take that time from the next client, or risk the next client being late for their stuff to give them both the full hour. At least that is what I tell them. :wink: Honestly, I'm not going to let their being late throw off my schedule for the rest of the day because I just don't have the time to spare. I'm sure you can block off your time and add in a workout wherever you find a free time in the day. On days that I have a lot of studying to do or projects to work on and I know that the time I have designated to workout or study will be devoted to studying, I use my 15 minute breaks between classes to sneak in some extra activity. I power walk to the next class, do a few jumping jacks, squats, desk push ups, dips, etc. when I get there, and have even gotten a few of my classmates to join me in our activity breaks. Those 15 minute breaks add up when you use all of them for activity. I know in offices you're suppose to have a 15 minute break a couple of times a day and a lunch break, so I'm sure you can fit in some things during those. Also, you can keep some light hand weights, maybe an under desk bike, or a stability ball in your office to get some in while talking on the phone or doing your work. You can do it!!! It just takes planning. :smile:
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In regards to energy..check with your physician to see if you can take B Complex sublingual liquid drops. They have worked for myhusband and I. I sometimes (as needed, not daily) take a dose around 2 or 3 pm, when I'm starting to run down and it gets me through. Oh, and I am a coffee addict. 3 cups in morning and 1 cup around 2:30 or 3. If I drink too much in afternoon, I'm up at night. But that one cup will give me the extra "oomph" I need to pass up the sugary / salty afternoon snack and carries me to the gym after work. I then have a little energy boost from gym to get dinner ready and house cleaned up. Then, I'm exhausted from that little 5-8 pm gym / dinner / bedtime routine rush and fall asleep soundly. Good luck to you!!!