Going from 5k to 10k, any advice?

Options
I just ran my second 5K last weekend, and it was awesome! Unlike my first in September, in which I struggled a lot, I felt wonderful and was able to chat the whole time. I probably could have run faster, too. Most of my training up until this point has been on a treadmill, but I plan to get outside more as the weather is getting nicer.

A little background - I've lost 136lbs so far, 39lbs between 5ks. About 20lbs overweight still. Realistically, how much time should I give myself to train for a 10k? Or maybe is it better to run another 5k first? What is the difference in training, time, etc between the two? My pace is pretty slow, I ran 12 min miles this last 5k (and like I said, I feel like I could have gone faster), but almost 16mpm the previous race. Do you think that's too slow?

Thanks for any help guys!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You can definitely start training for a 10K now, and if you're too slow, I've been doing it wrong for the past 17 years!

Just make sure you enter a race with mixed abilities and a large-ish field (though there's no shame in coming last in a small, fast race - I've done that before!).

Give yourself 12 weeks and you'll be fine. If the training plan you choose has time rather than miles, adjust according to your pace, i.e. as you approach 10K, make sure you can keep going for 75 minutes even if the training plan says stop at 60.

One trick I like to do when upping distances is to extend my weekend long run to my expected race duration with walking to get an early heads-up of what it feels like to be on your feet that long.

Good luck, let us know how you get on! :flowerforyou:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You can definitely start training for a 10K now, and if you're too slow, I've been doing it wrong for the past 17 years!

Just make sure you enter a race with mixed abilities and a large-ish field (though there's no shame in coming last in a small, fast race - I've done that before!).

Give yourself 12 weeks and you'll be fine. If the training plan you choose has time rather than miles, adjust according to your pace, i.e. as you approach 10K, make sure you can keep going for 75 minutes even if the training plan says stop at 60.

One trick I like to do when upping distances is to extend my weekend long run to my expected race duration with walking to get an early heads-up of what it feels like to be on your feet that long.

Good luck, let us know how you get on! :flowerforyou:
    This!

Speed comes with miles, just keep at it and before you know it you will be flying!

ETA: congrats on your easy 5km race and amazing weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This!

Speed comes with miles, just keep at it and before you know it you will be flying!

ETA: congrats on your easy 5km race and amazing weight loss! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I was really surprised at how good I felt. I was expecting it to be positively grueling but it was quite fun, as I suppose these things are SUPPOSED to be. I didn't think 39lbs would make that much of a difference. Well, that and I trained differently. First time I did C25K, which was great but I was only doing a few 30 minute runs. This time I just did a ton of 30 minute runs several times a week, I guess I was better conditioned?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K in Jan and run one every month since then. but I started to run 5 miles a day about a month ago, and last week I ran 6.2 miles. I have been doing it every day since then. I found yesterday I was running out of steam about 35 min into it so today I packed a GU gel pack and will refuel a long the way. once I get to the point where I know I can run comfortably 10K then I'll sign up for my first 10K race. so about 1-2 months training I would say.
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't do this, but I wish I would've. Audio books...6 miles can get boring.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love the C210K app. Since you've already done a 5K start at week 8. I'm on week 11 of 14 and I can already run a 10K!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I didn't do this, but I wish I would've. Audio books...6 miles can get boring.

That's actually a really good idea, thanks!
    I love the C210K app. Since you've already done a 5K start at week 8. I'm on week 11 of 14 and I can already run a 10K!

I just downloaded it, can't wait to get started!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I used "bridge to a 10k" app when I was transitioning from c25k.

CONGRATS on all your success! I just ran my first 10k in 5 years. I had been running one 5k a year... and pretending to train part of the year... but it wasnt until I started crossfit about 14 months ago that I really got in shape. I then started running again in January (10 months of crossfit in) and the running was so much easier than I remembered. Still hard, but my breathing wasnt an issue. Leg strength was good too, just had to get the legs use to running again.

Did a 5k 3 weeks ago, a 10k last saturday and have another 5k this week. Then this summer I am training for a half marathon. Longest run to date is 12miles.

Take it from someone who NEVER thought she was a runner (i still question it now)... once you get hooked it is so fantastic!

Congrats again on your 5k and your weightloss. Can't wait to hear about your 10k!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Realistically, how much time should I give myself to train for a 10k?

The Bridge to 10 K series is six weeks long, personally I found that distance increase a little bit too rapid so ended up taking 8 weeks. I've now been running a 10K improvement plan for 14 weeks and knocked a significant amount of time off my 10K and 5K times.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    6 miles can get boring.

You're running in the wrong places then. I do find the last mile of 12 can get a bit dull, but up to there, no worries.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    6 miles can get boring.

You're running in the wrong places then. I do find the last mile of 12 can get a bit dull, but up to there, no worries.
    Hahahaha Meanderingmam I completely agree!
    If you find it boring running at that distance then you really do need to find somewhere better to run............get off road and enjoy nature:flowerforyou:
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k in October and ran a 5k in October. I researched the various Bridge to 10k plans and decided that the One Hour Runner would be a good plan for me. I started the plan and ran a 10k on January 1. You can do it! A mile is a mile, no matter how fast or slow you run!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Beginning of February to my 10k April 12th is how long I took to get up my mileage. I only got to 5 miles before the race but that wasn't a problem (and due a lot to hurting myself along the way). I picked a 10k/half race so the field was very large and even though I didn't go as fast as I wanted (injury) it was a blast! I even got a medal, so that's awesome. I never did the C25K nor a bridge to 10k, I just upped my mileage 1/2 mile each week (which just took longer due to injury not related to upping my miles that quickly).

I didn't run the whole 10k but it was still a blast and I'll do another one later in the year after I reset and work back up mileage.