Moms....How do you avoid eating after 8pm???

Options

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    the time you eat and how quickly you eat has zero effect on your body.

how old are your kids? why can't you eat while they're eating? you mention that they have homework and sports, so i'm assuming that they're mostly school aged. they can help a bit around the house, can't they? you know, tell them you need strong me to help you while dad is working late.

This all day long.

I eat when the rest of the family eats dinner. I don't make their meal and then not eat with them. Three nights a week I get home at 5 and am back out the door at 7 for a class. I get dinner going as soon as I am home and will pick up the kitchen or do laundry while it is cooking. Then we eat as a family. Gives everyone a chance to catch up on the day and take a break. It isn't easy to get everything done, but preparing healthy meals for my family is a priority. Also, you have to take the time for yourself. There is no reason your children can't eat what you make for yourself. My son (5) eats most of the foods we eat and it is nice knowing that he is growing up with a taste for nutritious food.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't - I just plan for it. I have found that intermittent fasting really works well for me - I don't usually start eating until noon and try not to eat after 10:00 pm. This works well with my natural preference to not eat breakfast and helps me have calories available for the evening. I eat about 1/2 of my calories for the day between 6:30 and 10:00 most nights.

If you are having trouble making healthy meals and just grabbing whatever, I do recommend some bulk cooking and pre-planning. When we make soups and chili now, we usually make a double batch. About 1/2 of it gets put in to a gallon sized Ziplock freezer bag and frozen for a busy night. I also use pint sized Ball jars or Ziplock containers with the screw on lids and freeze individual portions for when I need something just for myself. If you use the Ball jars, freeze without the lids on so they don't break, then add the lids after frozen.

The last time I made lasagna, I did it in disposable bread loaf pans and froze a couple of them - one is just right for a meal for our family of 4 plus a little left over. I've done the same with chicken casserole's. If we're having baked potatoes for a side dish one night, I'll make a couple extra for quick and easy lunches or even dinners. If I'm eating a potato as a meal, I like to throw on a few ounces of meat, cheese, low fat sour cream and salsa, usually to make it more filling.

When I cook chicken for a meal, instead of just doing 1 or 1 1/2 pounds, I do 3 and then use that chicken to make salads for myself for the week. Then, I just have to grab everything and dinner's ready in less than 5 minutes. If I'm doing tacos, I make extra meat and then freeze some in batches of 1 or 2 servings. Then, I just thaw, heat it and throw it on a salad for a quick meal.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Second, what has happened to family dinner? It does sound like you have a busy schedule, but you can surely carve out an hour to sit down as a family and eat together. There are so many benefits to your kids from doing this - from having time with parents and each other, to building social skills and better decision making (it's been linked to kids staying out of trouble as they move into teenagers), to learning healthy eating habits.

^^^ this, so much. Family meal time is very important in my home and we eat together every night almost without exception. I can't imagine NOT doing so!
  • megans1980
    megans1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the time you eat and how quickly you eat has zero effect on your body. eating after a certain time won't effect you at all.

how old are your kids? why can't you eat while they're eating? you mention that they have homework and sports, so i'm assuming that they're mostly school aged. they can help a bit around the house, can't they? you know, tell them you need strong me to help you while dad is working late.

It really doesn't effect anything? I dont know why it is in my head that it is horrible to eat after 8pm?

I have 2 boys that are 6 and 7. They are picky eaters and rarely eat the same thing as my husband and I. So we end up eating at different times.

I love what you said....."tell them you need strong men to help you while dad is working late." I will start this tonight!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with eating that late.

Second, I don't know how old your kids are, but surely they can manage to safely entertain themselves for 30 minutes each evening. Have a set activity for them at say, 6 pm. Movie, craft -- whatever. Set them to it and if they interrupt you for a non-emergency, ignore it. If it's a young infant, just lay them down in their crib or swing. They will be fine.

ETA: I see you said 6 and 7, seriously, tell them to leave you alone for 30 minutes. I know that sounds harsh but if I didn't tell my 4 year old that mommy needs time for x,y,z she would own my life.
  • cggrlsteph
    cggrlsteph Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    On days where it gets hectic I save my protein shake for the end of the day... or I make a quick sandwich or salad and eat while doing things. I know you're not suppose to do that but Im a single mom and work full time and go to school full time so my down time is extremely limited.
    I also made myself get on a schedule. And with that, my daughter had to eat when I made dinner... there have been times where dinner was at 4... its just how it is sometimes.
    Sounds like your kids are old enough to help out with things, have them help you make dinner and clean up. That might help.

Just find your balance, thats my best advice.
  • megans1980
    Options
    We are super busy, too! My best friend has become my crock pot. I just throw in meat and veggies, set it on low, and it's done when we get home. I also grill/ bake a lot of meat on the weekends and keep it in the fridge so all I really have to cook during the week are sides. Saves time! Another idea, is to make sandwiches in advance and just grab and go when you are in a hurry. Also, I keep a fresh cut fruit and veggie tray in the fridge. I put it out on the table whenever we are home to randomly snack from. If all else fails, you could keep meal replacement bars in your purse. I have Luna protein bars. I don't rely on them but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I hope some of these ideas are helpful.

Love this! Thank you :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    the time you eat and how quickly you eat has zero effect on your body. eating after a certain time won't effect you at all.

It really doesn't effect anything? I dont know why it is in my head that it is horrible to eat after 8pm?

I have 2 boys that are 6 and 7. They are picky eaters and rarely eat the same thing as my husband and I. So we end up eating at different times.

I love what you said....."tell them you need strong men to help you while dad is working late." I will start this tonight!

You think that because it's one of those dieting myths that won't die.

As for your kids eating different foods, so what? You can eat different foods at the same time. I still don't understand why you don't eat with them if you're concened about eating late.

I was a super picky eater and my parents often ate foods I wouldn't touch (I was VERY stubborn) so my mom woul dmake food for the adults and something small on the side for me. For the record, she also made me eat certain things, like vegetables. I had to eat a certain amount -- not a ton, but enough to get the nutrition in. It was the only thing I HAD to eat before leaving the table or having a treat.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I eat with my kids it's usually the only way I can have all 3 sitting together and not fighting lol
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to eat dinner before 8-9pm. I find that I don't have a chance to stop and eat dinner until after the kids are in bed. It is between 8 and 9 pm before I can finally pause. I know this has to be bad for my body....cramming food down my throat then passing out from an exhausting day (mentally mainly). With sports, homework, husband who is working late and general daily household chore needs, it is hard! Do you have any tricks or tips for finding a way to eat before then?

Why are you not eating with the kids? Even if it is on the go to a practice, or waiting during practice? My kids are young so we have only have 1 after-school activity right now. I feed them snacks on the way there (crackers, cheesesticks, clemetimes), I usually eat an apple while waiting, and then dinner around 7pm when we get home, while also doing homework. Sometimes it is leftovers, or sandwiches, or a quick meal. Like last night I microwaved some Tyson chicken bites and we ate those with potato salad, baby carrots, and cherry tomatoes. It doesn't always need to be a huge-deal. It's food, fuel, and nourshing. The rest of the week we eat together as a family. I know it is going to be harder when the kids are older, but that is a bridge we will cross when we get there.

I have been using the crock-pot a lot too. Doesn't work on our 1 day we have that activity because it is dry by the time we get home, but works great the rest of the week!

On the other hand, I have a friend that works at least an hour drive from her home. After the drive, picking up kids, homework, etc, they eat as family, but at like 8pm. The kids end up going to bed later than mine, but that is what works their family.
  • megans1980
    Options
    Teach your kids to be independent at an early age so you're not dealing with their BS later on.

This is hard but working on it! :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Teach your kids to be independent at an early age so you're not dealing with their BS later on.

This is hard but working on it! :)

Let me reassure you that it is SO worth it. I love that I can tell my daughter to entertain herself for 30-45 minutes and she knows how and is comfortable with it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What helped me:

Get a kitchen timer, set it for 10 minutes and give them something to do. Our DS has the chores of picking up all the dog toys and chewies, picking up any newspapers/magazines laying around/setting the table. He didn't always do it perfectly, but it helped me, and it gave him some sense of accomplishment. Gradually it got to the point that he occupied himself for 30 minutes: chores/reading his books/putting laundry in/folding laundry. He's 12 now and his jobs have expanded to included vacuuming, taking out the garbage, etc.

My DH is awesome, but his mother did everything for him, so I think he thinks magic elves keep the household running. I'm hoping to give our son a better foundation for being a good partner when he grows up.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Our daughter is in all kinds of different activities after school, so it is always a juggle. I plan every breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack on Sunday and do 100% of our shopping for the week in one day. I use our family calendar as a guide as I plan. For example, Thursday of this week is going to be bonkers with horse back lessons + school Science Fair in the evening, so I made a roast on Tuesday (eating part of it Tuesday night), knowing it will become roast beef sandwiches on the fly Thursday.

Also, we eat together at the dinner table every night, always. We are not short-order cooks. Our kid eats what we eat, when we eat it. If she doesn't like the meal, she can go help herself in the kitchen to fruit or veggies but she has to do it herself because, well, I don't like to leave my food once I start eating. :)

Hope this helps!
  • ZombieMomTreks
    ZombieMomTreks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and they have tons of activities. Also on our own a lot. We generally eat together. 1 of mine is super picky but I make sure there is something he likes on the plate. I do not make separate meals for everyone. We cook, they eat. I've also started teaching them the basics in the kitchen.

My kids (including my picky one) will try anything once because they know if they don't like it, they will not be forced to eat anymore at that meal. My son hates broccoli but will eat his weight in clams, salmon, apples, and other things.

A quick dinner can be as easy as scrambled eggs, toast and fruit or sandwiches.

As others suggested, a crock pot can be great as can cooking things in advance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

You think that because it's one of those dieting myths that won't die.

As for your kids eating different foods, so what? You can eat different foods at the same time. I still don't understand why you don't eat with them if you're concened about eating late.

I was a super picky eater and my parents often ate foods I wouldn't touch (I was VERY stubborn) so my mom woul dmake food for the adults and something small on the side for me. For the record, she also made me eat certain things, like vegetables. I had to eat a certain amount -- not a ton, but enough to get the nutrition in. It was the only thing I HAD to eat before leaving the table or having a treat.

^^ this. they say not to eat after 8pm because they want you to avoid absent minded eating late at night or whatever.

and yeah, my main childhood memory was sitting at a table and eating with the family. and i don't know if i was a picky eater or not, because my parents didn't give me a choice!! i had to eat what was put in front of me, with a few exceptions of course. my mom would NOT force my brother and i to eat boiled salted cod that my father loved, but she would make us breaded flounder with PLENTY of french fries.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    let the chores go and eat dinner with your kids

it wont kill anyone if things are a little messy

Also what I do is eat my meal around 5 30
    then have a fruit snack wt the table while everyone else eats dinner at 6

Yeah, I also tend to do the dishes, fold laundry, etc after the kids are in bed.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time working mother of 4 ages 8-15, and I don't get home 6 and do most all of the cooking. Planning ahead is everything for me. My kids do their homework and/or chores while my husband helps/oversees and starts laundry. It's like a well oil machine most days, but it has taken plenty time and effort to get to that point. It really doesn't matter what time you eat, unless late eating triggers you to overindulge. For me, it is most important to eat together as a family and to set a good example of healthy living for my children. The fact that it is normal for us that even my teeanger only drinks water and leaves his phone in his room when we have dinner together every night and get to have great family conversations about our days is what makes all the work and preparation worth it. Sports are very important to us, but I refuse to let any individual one overshadow the needs of the rest of the family including myself. I have no problem dropping off one of mine for 2 hour football practices 3 times a week so I can go back home and take care of everything else. Try making one small change every week that will get you closer to a routine that is good for all of you :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Meal timing doesn't matter. I eat ice cream every night around 10pm because it's awesome. Eat whenever you want. Just stay within your calorie goal.

As for picky eaters - if my 4 year old doesn't eat what we are having for dinner that's fine. But I tell her she doesn't get anything until tomorrow's breakfast. Sometimes she eats. Sometimes she picks at her food. It's her choice but we are not going to make her a separate meal every night.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    im not a mum...but..
    cup of tea and a small planned snack like a biscuit,
    something to look forward too and a treat, usually around 150cals altogether, works for me :)