Will weight lifting distort fat loss?

Options
Well Ive been losing consistantly 3-4lbs per week since Jan. If I started using weights on my upper body now, how many months would it take to build up muscle and would it distort my weight loss per week? I.e how many Ounzes per week COULD you add ?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well Ive been losing consistantly 3-4lbs per week since Jan. If I started using weights on my upper body now, how many months would it take to build up muscle and would it distort my weight loss per week? I.e how many Ounzes per week COULD you add ?

3-4 lbs a week is likely unsustainable unless you are extremely obese. Don't worry about how much muscle you're gaining (not much) and start working out on your legs too
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I understand it is unsustainable, but whilst I can lose it surely its better to? And my BMI is under 30.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes what about leg day?
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If your lifting don't base your results on your scale alone, take progress pics and measurements(Waist, legs etc)... Sometimes the scale might not show a significant difference but your pics will...
  • jmsspr93
    Options
    I use a stationary bike, although, I used to do 500-600 calories per day on it but now I simply dont have the energy so I just eat less. The weird thing was it was so easy at the start and ive only turned the difficulty up slightly
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike, although, I used to do 500-600 calories per day on it but now I simply dont have the energy so I just eat less. The weird thing was it was so easy at the start and ive only turned the difficulty up slightly

I'd probably lack energy too if I was on a bike that long, burning that many calories a day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

stationary bike is not leg day.

squats and dead lifts are.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you lose too fast, you will also lose muscle mass along with the fat. Your body can only mobilize so much fat in a given time, and if you aren't using the muscle, it'll take that too. If maintaining your current muscle is important to you, then slow down the rate of loss, eat enough protein and do some sort of resistance training.

A young male like you could, with proper training and diet, put on 1-2 lb of muscle per month. BUT, to do so, you'd have to be eating at a surplus and doing a serious strength training program (Strong Lifts, Starting Strength etc), not just a few upper body exercises. Your biggest muscles are in your legs, and have the most capacity for growth, so these need training too!

With a moderate deficit (~0.5 lb per week), a good program and enough protein (1 g per lb LBM) you should retain what you have and maybe even put on a little bit. But you won't be getting maximal gains while on a deficit. So don't worry about the scale going up because of muscle! Just aim to get your body fat % down.
  • richardheath
    Options

You are probably tired because you are not eating enough! Your deficit is too big. Eat more.

What is your calories goal, TDEE etc?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Other than the initial water gain from lifting, you are unlikely to see any muscle weight increase at all until you stop dieting.
  • jmsspr93
    Options

You are probably tired because you are not eating enough! Your deficit is too big. Eat more.

What is your calories goal, TDEE etc?
    I have NO Idea. Some say 2500 , some say nearer 2900. MFP says to eat 2240, so I save 1500 per day. (from the 2240 figure)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So you are a 20 year old male eating 740 calories a day?

That is WAY too little. You should be eating the 2240 calories a day. It already has a deficit built in. You should not be losing 3lbs a week. This is unhealthy and you are most likely losing large amounts of muscle.

I would talk to a doctor, a counselor, or a parent about your nutrition and fitness.
  • richardheath
    Options

That is WAY too little. You should be eating the 2240 calories a day. It already has a deficit built in. You should not be losing 3lbs a week. This is unhealthy and you are most likely losing large amounts of muscle.

I would talk to a doctor, a counselor, or a parent about your nutrition and fitness.

^^^^^This!!!!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

stationary bike is not leg day.

squats and dead lifts are.
    This.gif

Eat. Lift. Sleep. Repeat.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

To answer your topic question: NO it will not distort fat loss at all. You might see your weight stalled for a couple of weeks due to water retention because your body is going to be repairing itself from the new workout. And don't only work your upper body, if you are fully functional (no disabilities from the waist down) then also focus on lower body.

3-4 is way too much, like others have said eat more.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat 2240 calories.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating more than your TDEE and lifting heavy I doubt you'll see a weight gain because of muscle.
    You can't build new muscles while being at a deficit, you'll only lose fat which is going to make your muscles more visible.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

HOLY CRAP!!! Is this really how little you've been eating? I guess that would explain the rapid weight loss when you are only 8lbs from goal according to your ticker. I'd barely have enough energy to move!!

Seriously, if this is about how much you've been eating, you must eat more. You have definitely lost muscle with that fat, so now is the time to read up, research, get things in order and do it the right way for your health. check out the sexypants link someone already posted.
  • jmsspr93
    Options

HOLY CRAP!!! Is this really how little you've been eating? I guess that would explain the rapid weight loss when you are only 8lbs from goal according to your ticker. I'd barely have enough energy to move!!

Seriously, if this is about how much you've been eating, you must eat more. You have definitely lost muscle with that fat, so now is the time to read up, research, get things in order and do it the right way for your health. check out the sexypants link someone already posted.
    My Ticker is incorrect.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    That does not change our objection.

I ask you flat out. How many calories do you eat per day?