Steady State Cardio?

Options
Question regarding steady state cardio...

Right now I do ZERO cardio and I would like to start. I am planning on getting a bike and a HRM. I saw in another post that a HRM only accurately tracks caloric burns for steady state cardio. Since I don't do any cardio, would it accurately any bike riding I would do? Or a brisk walk?

Just trying to decide whether I should spend the money on the HRM now or hold off.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get one if you want one.
    don't get if if you have other things to buy.

I don't have one and I range the gambit of no cardio to lots of cardio. I'm fine. I don't want one- so I don't have one.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for both walking and biking. I really like it! I have the Polar F7. Walking I burn a bit more than I thought, and biking a bit less. I find it to be a really good motivator.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and I use it for my running, spinning, eliptial and weight lifting. I find it effective in knowing where my heart rate is and being able to get it into a certain zone when I work out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't fully understand the question... cycling IS steady state cardio, and an HRM will track your caloric burns. it's not as useful in tracking the burns from strength training or from HIIT, but it still has it's uses.

remember, it's a heartrate monitor, not a calorie burning meter. i use the heartrate monitor to track my heartrate across different states of cardio. if i'm out for a bike ride and i see my heartrate too low, i know i can speed up. if it's not high, i know i need to slow down and control my breathing.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Plenty of apps do a fair job of estimating calorie burn, just remember that they are all estimates, including HRMs, and it will take a little trial and error to get your calorie balance right. Just as a side note, you will get plenty of advice as to what form of exercise is the best for weight loss but it all boils down to which one you will stick with : )
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents...

You do not need a HRM. What you need, is to start doing cardio (as that is YOUR goal), and stick with it for at least 30 days. THEN, if you have been consistent in meeting your goal and feel you'd like to get a HRM, reward yourself with one. BUt you don't need the device. The device doesn't help you meet your goal in any way. Getting off your hiney for a cycle or a walk is what you need. (Me too, so don't take that the wrong way LOL).

I see people buy fancy workout clothes, weights, HRMs, Fitbits, whatever... none of it matters. Only the work you put in matters.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents...

You do not need a HRM. What you need, is to start doing cardio (as that is YOUR goal), and stick with it for at least 30 days. THEN, if you have been consistent in meeting your goal and feel you'd like to get a HRM, reward yourself with one. BUt you don't need the device. The device doesn't help you meet your goal in any way. Getting off your hiney for a cycle or a walk is what you need. (Me too, so don't take that the wrong way LOL).

I see people buy fancy workout clothes, weights, HRMs, Fitbits, whatever... none of it matters. Only the work you put in matters.

very good solid advice.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents...

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear... I've gotten so caught up in the OHHH SHINY that I've lost track of what I really need.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents...

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear... I've gotten so caught up in the OHHH SHINY that I've lost track of what I really need.

Good!! I say this with nothin but love b/c I've done the SAME THING! It's a pit many people fall into. Don't wait for the HRM or proper "gym clothes." Just hit the pavement :) You got this.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents...

Good!! I say this with nothin but love b/c I've done the SAME THING! It's a pit many people fall into. Don't wait for the HRM or proper "gym clothes." Just hit the pavement :) You got this.

The only reason I'm not going to do something at lunch is I'm not super thrilled at the possibility of twisting an ankle in ballet flats. Bring on casual Friday!

Also excited to get my bike tomorrow. It's my birthday and my mom and dad are getting it for me! I've got some health issues going on that make running (which I used to LOVE) extremely painful and difficult.