Moms....How do you avoid eating after 8pm???

Options
124»

Replies

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    For busy days I love my crock pot. My kids had gymnastics until 7:45 last night. I had chicken and stuffing in the crockpot, the beans already made. All I had to do was cook some frozen veggies super quick on the stove and bam...dinner was on the table at 8:15 and so good! Later than our normal dinner time, but some days are just like that.

Try to use your crock-pot more for those busy late nights. There was a thread not to long ago that had some great ideas for crock pot meals. I will see if I can find it!

Here is the link to the "healthy crock pot recipes" thread. Lots of great ideas!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1211763-healthy-crockpot-recipes?hl=healthy+crock
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We always eat dinner between 8 and 9pm (or even later sometimes!) - by choice, always have done - don't have children so can't help on that front but if you're ok with eating at that time I really wouldn't worry about it. The only issue would be digestive ones or wakefulness or getting really hungry earlier but if that's not happening then don't force yourself to eat earlier unless you actually want/need to for other reasons. I actually find that if I eat too early I get hungry in the night.
    P.s. protein can keep you awake and carbs make you sleepy, not the other way around!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i still don't get why you can't eat at the same time? I'm a mother if 2 and have to disagree with making them separate meals btw. Make a dinner and all sit down to eat it, if they choose to be picky that's their choice not to eat.
    How about you parent your way and let others parent their way?

If she wants to make them something different, that's her business. That isn't the issue here.
    i don't think anyone is questioning the OP's parenting, but maybe her time management skills. it's a really therapeutic thing to just sit down with your family for 30 minutes and just eat and enjoy everyone's company.
    My comment was directed at the bolded part.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you can/want to. It doesn't make any difference.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to eat dinner before 8-9pm. I find that I don't have a chance to stop and eat dinner until after the kids are in bed. It is between 8 and 9 pm before I can finally pause. I know this has to be bad for my body....cramming food down my throat then passing out from an exhausting day (mentally mainly). With sports, homework, husband who is working late and general daily household chore needs, it is hard! Do you have any tricks or tips for finding a way to eat before then?
    It makes no difference what time you eat your food I frequently have my main meal at 10pm as you can see it's had no effect o my weightloss. Your body hasn't a clue about the time of day.
  • megans1980
    megans1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I can tell it is definitely a time management thing. I need to sit down and figure out a less stressful approach to evenings and organize my time better.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    We are super busy, too! My best friend has become my crock pot. I just throw in meat and veggies, set it on low, and it's done when we get home. I also grill/ bake a lot of meat on the weekends and keep it in the fridge so all I really have to cook during the week are sides. Saves time! Another idea, is to make sandwiches in advance and just grab and go when you are in a hurry. Also, I keep a fresh cut fruit and veggie tray in the fridge. I put it out on the table whenever we are home to randomly snack from. If all else fails, you could keep meal replacement bars in your purse. I have Luna protein bars. I don't rely on them but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I hope some of these ideas are helpful.

Crock pot and prep as much as you can. I made a dish ahead of time and DH got home before me and threw it in the oven so by time I got home dinner was cooked and today I have food in the crock pot so 2 days in a row dinner is ready and waiting when I get home and I have extra time to do cleaning etc.
  • jzynanja
    jzynanja Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Crock pot - the best thing ever! :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I can tell it is definitely a time management thing. I need to sit down and figure out a less stressful approach to evenings and organize my time better.

Ehh, I say don't add more stress by trying to change things! We usually eat together, but sometimes work schedules prevent this. Sometimes, if we don't eat dinner before DH goes to work, I find more enjoyable to get the kids settled and in to bed and then sit down and have the time to breathe and enjoy my food. Often, when we eat as a family, it's not quite so relaxing, lol.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

cooking a lot on weekends or whenever you have time is a good way to start. your kiddo only eats white rice/spongebob mac & cheese/foods that end in "i"?? make a big pot of it the next time you make it and store what you don't eat it in the fridge.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    i still don't get why you can't eat at the same time? I'm a mother if 2 and have to disagree with making them separate meals btw. Make a dinner and all sit down to eat it, if they choose to be picky that's their choice not to eat.
    How about you parent your way and let others parent their way?

If she wants to make them something different, that's her business. That isn't the issue here.
    i don't think anyone is questioning the OP's parenting, but maybe her time management skills. it's a really therapeutic thing to just sit down with your family for 30 minutes and just eat and enjoy everyone's company.
    My comment was directed at the bolded part.
    all I said is I disagree with it, every parent is doing their best. I think it is part of the issue since she said she doesn't get to eat until later because her and her husband eat a different meal. I was suggesting that eating the same thing at the same time may help her eat dinner earlier. Just trying to offer a suggestion. Sorry to the OP if I offended.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories for a snack in the evening and pre-prep meals as much as you can. Eating before bed doesn't hinder your weight loss efforts as long as it doesn't put you over you calorie budget.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    seriously, how picky are we talking about? cuz i didn't know picky until my nephew refused to eat homemade mac & cheese because it wasn't spongebob mac & cheese. and the kid was staaaaaaarving.

I'm pretty sure there aren't a whole lot of known cases of children starving themselves to death b/c they didn't like food they were given.

Overly picky children are usually the parent's fault. Sure, not all kids will eat broccoli, but there is no way they should need a particular brand of mac and cheese. That just means the parents are push-overs.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    we used to be super busy and i sat my girls down and we talked, turned out they felt like they were being pressured in the time with activities homework , dinner , ETC , so we dropped EVERYTHING this year in an experiement... hmmm. we eat dinner together, the girls are still on honor roll, and GET THIS the morning chaos , its GONE they get up easier , they get thier lunches packed then they go to school , i feel like the whole house has "SIGH" taken a big breath of relief.

Everyone focuses so much better on , well really on everything
  • amberlynn0925
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but I am very busy and many nights a week I do not get home to eat dinner until 7-9 p.m. The thing is that I only eat a smoothie for dinner. I make lunch my big meals so that I can eat as late as I need to.
  • nikki2572
    nikki2572 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It think you started a very hot topic. :smile: I see a lot of good advice here. I didn't read through all of the post, but I can totally relate. Many nights when it is me and the kids I feed them and continue to work on chores while encouraging them to stay on task - eat dinner, not fast but without to much distraction. I might go through their homework, finish their laundry, and make sure they are ready for the next day (back packs are packed, they know the next days schedule, etc.) Then they are off to showers and a little of down time and then bedtime. Once they are in bed, or at least focused I can sit and enjoy my dinner.

Time of dinner I don't think matters ( how to avoid eating after 8pm ). I have family members that have developed a condition from eating to late. I don't know what it is called but it effects their ablity to swallow their food without choking. It was developed from eating to fast and right before going to bed. So I don't eat to soon before I plan on going to bed - or I eat much smaller portions if I know I am going to bed soon (just enough to take the edge off).
  • megans1980
    megans1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It think you started a very hot topic. :smile: I see a lot of good advice here. I didn't read through all of the post, but I can totally relate. Many nights when it is me and the kids I feed them and continue to work on chores while encouraging them to stay on task - eat dinner, not fast but without to much distraction. I might go through their homework, finish their laundry, and make sure they are ready for the next day (back packs are packed, they know the next days schedule, etc.) Then they are off to showers and a little of down time and then bedtime. Once they are in bed, or at least focused I can sit and enjoy my dinner.

I definitely hit a soft spot with many people. This description is exactly what takes place. Now that I know eating later isn't the end of the world, I can stop worrying about it. :)
  • Chellybell13
    Chellybell13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    easy...i'm usually in bed by then reading my kindle haha. I brush my teeth & mouthwash and drink water though, that helps.