Feelings on YOGA?!

Options
I'm seriously contemplating taking a YOGA class at my school. It's one night per week ($5 per class) so not too bad, but I'm also currently juggling Massage Therapy school M-Th nights (6-10 PM + LOTS of time studying Human Anatomy), Student Clinic (every Saturday beginning January 8th-until I've done 38 massages on the public & 4 on LMT's) & working 30 hr/wk job... I've already written back to the instructor saying that I'll be at the first class but that I may only do one or two classes per month!

My question to everyone is: What are your feelings about YOGA?! I don't know a lot about it but I'm already a runner that would like to get more centered in a meditation-stretching type of exercise as well. My husband & I hope to begin trying for a baby by mid May also, so I thought that this type of exercise would be just the ticket to an even healthier mind & body...

Any & all feedback would be great! Thanks... :smile:

Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga!! I can't say more about it.
    It strengthens your core and balance.
    Yes by all means join the class.
    It can benefit you in many ways.
    Also, you can do this as you age.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Yoga...it makes you just feel SO good! You have to make time for yourself regardless of how busy you are and yoga is a great way to recharge!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a yoga convert. I do it nearly every day. I'm taking an 8 week studio class starting in January that I got from LivingSocial for half off. It will be the first time I've been to an actual yoga instructor. I seriously believe that yoga is the reason I've not been sick all winter long when my family has been so ill. In the 10 weeks or so that I've been doing it regularly, my flexibility has improved so much, and I no longer have aches and pains after a hard workout.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOGA!!! its so relaxing and such a good strech, i think im taller
  • Alleghany
    Options
    Yoga does waaaaay more to recharge me than a venti at Starbucks! It's good for the mind, body and soul! IMO, it'll give you more energy and mental well-being to juggle your crazy sched. I say GO FOR IT...You won't regret it! GL! :flowerforyou:
  • jul21r
    jul21r Posts: 34
    Options
    I really enjoy yoga! I have found that it makes your body and mind feel good. Also, I bought a DVD Crunch Gym's Prenatal Yoga. Which I did while I was pregnant and felt really good during and after the workout. The least you can do is try it for a few classes and see how it fits you!

Good luck!
  • jswoods
    Options
    Yoga is the Fountain of Youth! It was REALLY difficult for me at the beginning, but over time it has become one of my favorite exercises! Go for it!!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOGA!!! its so relaxing and such a good strech, i think im taller

LOL Dani! Maybe this is what I need to reach 5'8"? LOL!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great. At least once a week is a wonderful idea to add to any exercise program.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Can't encourage you enough! Join! And it will be great before, during and after pregnancy. You will be happy you started and find you can juggle everything else more easily!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I try to keep some form of yoga or pilates in my schedule, as a form of stress relief as well as an overall body conditioning for strength and flexibility. It provides an excellent cross training exercise, especially as a runner, it will help stretch out your tight hips and strengthen your upper body which is often neglected in runners. There are many varieties of yoga, as well as instructors, so even if you don't like this particular class, keep an open mind to trying it again in the future. It's worth it!
  • SewLisa
    Options
    My oldest son has been student teaching a yoga class and has just made it to full instructor! I hear constantly about the health benifets and I am going to start taking his class on the 8th of January.

I think you should go for it! your schedule seems pretty busy, but I believe that we should do things for ourselves and taking a stress reliving class that will feed your soul sounds good to me :)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Tried it once recently. A little too weird for me - the chanting, burning incense, standing on head, holding someone else's bare feet, etc. I guess I can see how it could be healthy and beneficial though. The people (leader and classmates) all were very kind to me and made me feel very welcome which was great. Maybe I just happened to be in a rather extreme class, I dont know. But I dont plan to go back right away.
  • Msadvico
    Options
    I absolutely love Yoga. It centers you: mind, body and soul. A class is a great way to get started. I do classes when it fits my schedule but I mostly the On-Demand stuff from Comcast. My advice: Breathe, breathe breathe. You will get loads more out of your vinyasna if you breathe through it :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Tried it once recently. A little too weird for me - the chanting, burning incense, standing on head, holding someone else's bare feet, etc. I guess I can see how it could be healthy and beneficial though. The people (leader and classmates) all were very kind to me and made me feel very welcome which was great. Maybe I just happened to be in a rather extreme class, I dont know. But I dont plan to go back right away.

You might try a different yoga class/location (not sure where you took yours through) - I've done yoga several times and your experience sounds a bit out-of-the-ordinary to me!

I would love to do a yoga class, but am a bit shy when it comes to working with people I don't know. For now I have a DVD I bought (biggest loser weight-loss yoga) - it's definitely a workout! It's great for stretching and centering and working out in a different way than the rest of the week. Definitely a stress reliever. I highly recommend yoga for anyone!
  • STARG1RL
    STARG1RL Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much EVERYONE!

I think I'm gonna take the plunge & give it a real try... No sense in not trying something new! :happy:
  • sophia_uk
    sophia_uk Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really love Yoga and I love Pilates! It is definately worth giving it a go for a few sessions, you will feel the difference almost straight away!
  • fitness63
    fitness63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some people know wine, I know yoga. Some yoga does consist of chanting. That is om and used for meditation only. I prefer hot yoga. Its is a cardiovascular workout at the same time as focusing your mind on breathing and challenging your body. Temperatures range from 85 degrees F to 105. Bikram is a series of 26 poses that touch and clean every cell in your body if done right. Vinyasa is constant movements in motion with your breath. Depending on the studio they may have music. The heat produces sweat that removes toxins from your body. My husband goes with me (yes, there are many men in the classes) and he has lost 10 pounds and feels better than ever. He sleeps better too. I would recommended it to anyone who wants to challenge there mind body and soul.
  • ThePinkPath
    Options
    Yoga is a fabulous way to help your body and your mind. There are many different styles of yoga to chose from and equally as many of instructors avalible to show you the way. Whether its an evening class to wind down or a morning class to start your day off right yoga is definatly one route to take. Good luck!