measuring vs weighing

Options
I have read how a lot of people feel about plateaus (that most often you are eating more calories than you think or burning less calories than you think). Bottom line no real calorie deficit. I do use a HRM with chest strap and I do not eat back all those calories, usually about half. I measure all my food but do not have a food scale. I am honest in my logging. I do change my workouts about every 5 to 6 weeks and always drink lots of water. So, if I find no changes for months now (about 3 months) such as the scale isn't going down, measurements aren't going down, and clothes fitting the same, is my problem that I'm eating more calories than I think because I don't weigh my food? Is weighing verses measuring that big of a difference?

Replies

• karri82
    karri82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes you really need a food scale measurements using cups and other things like that can be way out the only real way to know how much your eating is to weigh all your food :-)
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bumping for replies - That could have been written by me, although I weigh most of my food whenever possible!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You aren't at a deficiency for losing weight. If measuring your food isn't working then by all means start weighing it. I am measuring my foods and have dropped an average of 2lbs. per week. If I ever run into a problem, I will not hesitate for a second to buy a scale.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Another 68 lbs to go.

You selected 2 lb weight loss goal weekly?

You selected sedentary?
    Do you truly have a 45 hr a week desk job and commute, and outside exercise a bump on a log?

Why creating a bigger deficit by eating back only half your exercise?

For food when you eat the package, do you at least do the math on how many servings per package, because "about 2" isn't close enough?

I doubt bad food logging could overcome a 1000 cal deficit, unless just dishonest with food logging in general.

When was your last diet break?
    Though, in reality, you are on one right now. You are eating at maintenance right now, because no loss or gain.

Scary huh, because that means to lose, you must eat even less. Can you eat 1000 less than right now to get that reasonable 2 lb weekly loss amount?

Might be time to destress your body and increase calories up to where they likely could be, letting system speed back up.

You've likely done this to yourself, so you have no actual deficit in place right now.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Is weighing verses measuring that big of a difference?

YES! I have had fun with my (digital!) food scale (they are cheap! $10 give or take). Last night I had a 12 oz. package of ham... I weighed it and it was really only about 10.5 oz. It is a BIG difference when it comes to condiments. (I discovered that I was actually putting LESS butter on my popcorn than I thought.) Deli cheese, deli meat - measuring by counting slices is no good, because the thickness makes a big difference. And there are things that are hard to measure - like popcorn, lettuce, chicken, fish, nuts. I find weighing it tells me EXACTLY how much I have.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    So, if I find no changes for months now (about 3 months) such as the scale isn't going down, measurements aren't going down, and clothes fitting the same, is my problem that I'm eating more calories than I think because I don't weigh my food? Is weighing verses measuring that big of a difference?
    yes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since you have had 3 months of no change, you should be open to a 2 week test.

This will tell you if your food logging is so bad that you are eating at potential maintenance, or did you cause such a big deficit your body stressed out and your system slowed down.

Eat 250 more calories daily for 2 weeks.
    If you are eating at true potential maintenance right now - you will gain ONLY 1 lb slowly over the 2 weeks.

Reread that.
    If you are eating at a suppressed maintenance right now - you will gain fast water weight as glycogen stores are topped off with water attached. Your LBM will go up, and metabolism a bit too.
    If this happens, you increase 250 again for 2 weeks.

So this will not only tell you if current eating level is actual potential maintenance and just sloppy logging, but will also help destress system if it is not.

Oh, if you do just gain 1 lb slowly over the 2 weeks, proving prior eating level was maintenance, then food logging is bad.
    But no need to correct it - just find a real 1000 calories to cut out of what you eat.
    Keep logging sloppily at that point. Your goal number may appear low, but you know it's really higher.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have read how a lot of people feel about plateaus (that most often you are eating more calories than you think or burning less calories than you think). Bottom line no real calorie deficit. I do use a HRM with chest strap and I do not eat back all those calories, usually about half. I measure all my food but do not have a food scale. I am honest in my logging. I do change my workouts about every 5 to 6 weeks and always drink lots of water. So, if I find no changes for months now (about 3 months) such as the scale isn't going down, measurements aren't going down, and clothes fitting the same, is my problem that I'm eating more calories than I think because I don't weigh my food? Is weighing verses measuring that big of a difference?

Weighing can make a big difference compared to measuring, especially with calorie dense foods. When you measure your 1/4 C of cheese, it could easily have an extra tablespoon heaped on top, giving you 140 calories instead of 110; a tablespoon of peanut butter can easily be 1.5 or more tablespoons giving you 300 calories or more instead of 200 calories. The last two times we've had pasta, my weighed portion (divided cooked weight by # of starting servings) has been closer to only 2/3 C and not the 1 C you often see touted. Maybe we like our pasta more al dente, I don't know, but if I measured it as 1 C cooked = 210 calories and really 1 C cooked = 280 calories, it all adds up.

You will also want to make sure you are choosing the appropriate entry from the database. Do you know how many boneless, skinless chickens come up and how wildly they vary? I've seen them at anywhere from 50 calories for 4 oz cooked to over 200! Look at the NI for YOUR food and make sure you choose the one that is appropriate or create your own if you have to.

For the best accuracy, I also recommend using the raw weights for meats and even high calorie veggies. If I like my steak rare and you like yours well done, if we both start with a 12 oz steak, I could end up with 9 oz of cooked steak and you could end up with 6. If we logged ours by cooked weight, mine would appear to have 1.5 times the calories yours has, but that wouldn't be accurate. Sure, yours might be slightly lower in calories with a gram or two of fat cooked out, but for the most part, the only difference between our two steaks would be water content (and taste, of course). This could mean the difference between logging a 350 calorie steak instead of a 550 calorie steak.

It can sound a bit tiresome, but I've found that weighing foods is so much easier than measuring them - less messy, too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes it does make enough of a difference.

Along with the weighing tho you have to make sure the entries you are using are correct.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078

This post contains a lot of info and can be overwhelming to some but if you are stalled it's worth it.

TL;DR version
    Entries with lots of confirmations are golden, entries with USDA data golden, entries that start with generic/homemade unless you made them are crap, entries that have an asteriks...iffy

If you can't find a correct one make one of your own, use the recipe builder and last but not least weigh solids, measure liquids and log everything.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    In my experience measuring is terrible. Example: I was getting some tortilla chips and salsa last night and actually weighed the salsa. The grams of salsa were WAY different than when I simply measure 2 Tbsp. Luckily salsa is only like 10 cals per serving but still. WEIGH EVERYTHING!!!! (When possible, of course...)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    check out this YouTube vid for a weight vs measurement comparison that will blow your socks off... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As you lost weight, have you been changing your calorie goals?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It can be a big difference, and how much it means for you depends on your goal deficit.

Personally I don't burn a lot in a day compared to some. 2000-2200 calories, and I consume generally 1400-1600 in an effort to lose ~1 pound per week. If I'm off in my calculations 50 calories here, 75 calories there: my deficit quickly disappears.

If you burn a lot more, and perhaps aim for a larger deficit, you'll probably still see some results unless your estimates are WAY off.
  • 7213Melissa
    7213Melissa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies. I had no idea weighing could make such a big difference.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    Yes it does make enough of a difference.

Along with the weighing tho you have to make sure the entries you are using are correct.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078

This post contains a lot of info and can be overwhelming to some but if you are stalled it's worth it.

TL;DR version
    Entries with lots of confirmations are golden, entries with USDA data golden, entries that start with generic/homemade unless you made them are crap, entries that have an asteriks...iffy

If you can't find a correct one make one of your own, use the recipe builder and last but not least weigh solids, measure liquids and log everything.
    Thank you for the link. I always thought generic meant the brand. I do use homemade entries but they are mine as I cook for 6 so I almost always cook at home.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    As you lost weight, have you been changing your calorie goals?
    Yes I did reset with MFP when I had a loss.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh food over measuring with cups
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,662 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would weigh if I were you. Here's an example as to why... Last weekend I was making waffles. Simple recipe. I was only going to use measuring cups when making it and put it into my recipe builder based on that. Good thing I changed my mind! the serving size for my whole wheat flour was 1/4 cup (32 grams) but when I precisely measured out my 1/4 cup of flour, it really weighed 45 grams. that's a big difference, especially if you are really using 1-2 cups of flour.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Flour is notorious for that. That is why, if you are going to go by volume, recipes often call for sifting the flour to make sure it is airy and not packed.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    check out this YouTube vid for a weight vs measurement comparison that will blow your socks off... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    I never measure over the top like that and that is exactly why I don't eat back all my exercise calories, I had hoped the difference would cover any mistakes. But STILL I am a little shocked how much of a calorie difference is in that little bit over the rim.